Bingo!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Razor Head

Bingo!

Post by Razor Head »

I’ve been hunting the same spot since last Saturday. Until Tuesday I was ready to give up and back to hunting my favorite spot on public land. I got up last Tuesday at 4am and drove an hour only to find a couple of pickup trucks parked where I go. So it looked like it was too crowded. I went back to the hunting club I belong to and was very surprised. I saw quite a few with racks on them. That’s a first for me at this club.

Anyway, I’ve been experimenting with the Deer Sense incense sticks: http://deerquest.com/ I don’t have time to go into details but this stuff does what they say it will do!

This deer, on the other hand was chasing a doe so I can’t say conclusively that the incense sticks were a contributing factor.

It was about 10:00 AM and I had been in the stand since 7:00 AM. The Deer Sense sticks had burned out and I wanted to go light a couple more. Before that I decided to grab a snack from my back pack. After that I put my binoculars in the backpack which was hung on the tree steps and also had to make a nature call. I hung the crossbow on the stand and grabbed the bottle from its hanger. As I was about to fill the bottle, I saw a doe coming up the hill toward me with the buck in hot pursuit. The nature call would have to wait. I could just imagine someone video tapping me was I scrambled to put the bottle away without spilling anything and grabbing the crossbow!

They both stopped behind the stand and I was looking on either side of the tree for about the next 15-20 minutes. They stopped and were looking at a clearing about 100 yards away. Anyway her ladyship decided it was time to move up the trail past my stand with Romeo tagging right along. Women! They’ll be the cause many an amorous suitor’s undoing every time.

I nailed him with a 34 yard shot from a modified Excalibur Exocet.

Now for the bad news; because I didn’t have the binoculars I mistook this deer for another one that I actually wanted to get. They both have an unusual pattern on their belly on the sides. It almost resembles what you would see on a goat. Anyway the other deer has a bigger rack. The non-typical rack on this one fooled me. If I had the binoculars I would have passed him up. So, I thought I was done for the 2009 season.

Now for the good news; I just found out we can take three antlered deer in Ohio this year! So, I’ll get a second chance at the other buck.
lscha

Post by lscha »

That's a great deer Razor! Nice to have those choices. That would be the deer of a lifetime for me. :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Congrats on a fine looking deer.
Now for the good news; I just found out we can take three antlered deer in Ohio this year! So, I’ll get a second chance at the other buck.
If that's the case, someone should infom Mike P. After he downed Grey Face, he's stated that with Ohio's one buck limit, his season is done.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Yeh, I can see how that buck would be a real disappointment. :? :lol:

Congrats on your buck.

Long
Mike P

Re: Bingo!

Post by Mike P »

Razor Head wrote:
I would love to know how you found out about additional bucks.

This is from the official regulations for the 2009-1010 hunting season.

A hunter can take only one buck in Ohio, regardless of zone, hunting method or season.

Please give us more information as to why you are under the impression you may take more then one buck. I have searched and searched the web and the Ohio DNR sites and find nothing saying additional bucks may be harvested.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Congratulations on a nice buck.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats nice deer!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Razor Head

Re: Bingo!

Post by Razor Head »

Mike P wrote:
Razor Head wrote:
I would love to know how you found out about additional bucks.

This is from the official regulations for the 2009-1010 hunting season.

A hunter can take only one buck in Ohio, regardless of zone, hunting method or season.

Please give us more information as to why you are under the impression you may take more then one buck. I have searched and searched the web and the Ohio DNR sites and find nothing saying additional bucks may be harvested.
Okay, now I'm confused. My brother-in-law told me the news about more than one antlered deer and I called my favorite gun store to confirm it. The sales rep read me the information about zone C: http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/reg ... aspx#zones

Scroll down to the map and look at what it says about zone C.

"A hunter may harvest no more than 6 deer in Zone C during the 2009-2010 season."
Only 3 deer may be tagged with Deer Permits(s) ($24) in Zone C.

Only 3 deer may be tagged with Antlerless Deer Permit(s) ($15) in Zone C.

The Antlerless Deer Permit ($15) is not valid in Zone C after December 6, 2009.
I guess based on the preceeding statement on that page:
"A hunter may harvest no more than one (1) antlered deer during the 2009-2010 season regardless of where or how it is taken."
You can take on one antlered deer. So what it sounds like is that you can get three antlered and three non-antlered permits but can only take one with antlers using the $24 permit. Is that the way you interpret it? If that's so, I wonder why I was getting the wrong information. I'll e-mail the DNR. They are pretting good at responding.
mikej

Post by mikej »

nice buck, congrats
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

The "Deer Permits" can be used for antlered or antlerless deer but no more than one can be used on an antlered deer. The "Antlerless Permits" can only be used on antlerless deer before shotgun season.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
gogo

Post by gogo »

Another beauty, congratulations on the fine looking buck.
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Congrats!! I'd LOVE to see a deer like that present itself in my neck of the woods.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations on the buck!!!!!!!!!

But it is the only buck you can legally take in Ohio this year.
The antlerless tags are for antlerless deer only, the deer permits are good for antlered or antlerless, but only 1 antlered can be taken regardless of method or zone statewide.
If you buy 3 permits and 3 antlerless permits in zone C you could take 6 antlerless deer or 5 antlerless deer and 1 antlered deer.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

congrats on yer great Buck
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Thats a great buck, you shouldn't feel bad about getting the wrong one. :shock:
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's