The Butterball Free for All

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

The Butterball Free for All

Post by awshucks »

Catchy, huh? I thought so. I belong to the local Fraternal order of Eagles and decided to run a turkey shoot w/ proceeds donated to charity. We had the shoot today. I'd been to a few of these at muzzle loader shoots, but since I blew a 'cuff' and can no longer offhand them, decided to as my Marine buddies say, 'Adapt and overcome'.

I realize this is borderline O/T, but bear w/ me here. We had a lot of fun, took home some meat, and you may be able to adapt this type thing for a benefit somewhere, lol.

Here's the flyer advertising the event:

Butterball Free For All!!

Who: Eagle Members, Applicants, Guests and Kids
When: Sunday 11/15/09 @ 2 p.m.
Where: Acorn Rifle Range
What: Turkey shoot with a twist!
Why: Spend a buck, win a turkey [??] Have fun, Support the Aerie.

We're gonna hang a turkey on a string at about 30 yards to start, maybe a little closer, maybe not. $1.00 per shot, cut the string, win the Butterball.
If everyone misses, we'll move it in 5 yards and for another $1 try again, repeated until we have a winner with dinner! Draw for shooting order.

Any gun, any sights, shotguns must use slugs, no shot shells. Special match for kids if enough show, if not the ones that do can shoot from a table,
everybody else standing offhand [no rests]

I'll have the turkeys there, 12-15 lb Butterballs if I can find them. At least 3, but we can shoot as many as y'all want.
I'll have any needed extra's at the Aerie the next day.

Sniper rule: One turkey per sniper!! [But you can give the next one you win away to another non relative shooter]

Range officers: Cliff, Louie Jr., Vinnie, Dan F.

Here's a poor photo of one of the suedo turkeys ready for action.

I was using a Ruger .44 mag Carbine w/ a Weaver K-3 w/ 'German' post reticule. I obtained this gun from my buddy Smokepole, had always wanted one and he made it possible. I had hogs in mind, but believe deer are in great danger out to 100 for sure.

We had to improvise something behind the brick layers dry line I used to hold the bricks w/ cardboard turkeys up. It was cloudy and you couldn't see the string well w/ open sights. I cannot believe this shot of mine was a 'miss' but it was. I think were were down to about 15 yds on this one.

I finally connected on one of the 4 turkey prizes and my winning shot was at 25 yds standing offhand. More luck than skill for sure. This last pic is the happy winners. I'm the fat one, lol.

"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

awshucks congrats on getting a turkey!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Very cool!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Gutshot

Post by Gutshot »

I forgot all about that being today, Dan, sorry to have missed it. Been chasing whitetails hard since last wed and was plum wore out this morning so didnt hunt today. Coulda brought my old winchester 16 gauge with slugs and took a bird from ya.
BUS314

lol

Post by BUS314 »

hey bud, that's pretty good thinkin, & not bad shootin either-----lol, ya kill any bears yet??
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats on the turkey good shooting. I have one of the old ruger 44 semi carbines fine guns.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

awshucks,you got a bird during "string turkey season"
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Congratulations! Sounds like a Lot of Fun 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

A man of many talents! :D
Grizz