The Rut Is On - Buck Down.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bow Life

The Rut Is On - Buck Down.

Post by Bow Life »

Well it has been a while since I have posted here. I have been spending all of my spare time in the bush, no time to keep updated on the forum.
To all of those who have harvested deer congratulations, and all of those still hunting best of luck.

Now for the best part of my post, my story!
All season I have been hunting very hard. Harder then normal. I made a pact with myself early on, I decided this year that I was going to let the smaller bucks walk in hopes of it paying off with a big guy.

I have hunted various properties with various set ups. I have hunted the hardwoods, the thick stuff, the food source and the bedding areas. I have learned a lot this season. Opening day I was able to harvest a nice doe to fill the freezer at school and from that day on I was looking for big bucks. I had spotted various bucks on two different properties. One property generally holds a larger amount of smaller deer the other I have never really hunted before. I have seen many deer on both properties and passed on them all, up until last Thursday morning (November 12).

I had been sitting in my stand since 6:15. I had watched the sunrise, the squirrels come out and the turkeys drop from their roost. But I had yet to see any deer. I was set up on the very corner of the property, in the hardwoods, about 100yards from a major bedding area. Between this bedding area and I was some of the thickest stuff I have ever experienced. The thicket runs right up to the property line but but thins out to hardwoods behind my stand. I had grunted and rattled with no avail. Around 7:30 I thought I herd some deer fighting back towards the bedding area, but nothing showed up. I also forgot to mention that this morning was the frostiest morning of the season yet and to be honest I had high expectations of seeing deer. It all felt right.

At 9 am, as the frost was melting and falling to the leaf covered ground I herd a sound that did not sound like water droplets. It was much more firm. I turned to look behind my stand and saw a nice buck, 80 yards out, walking out of the thicket and through the hardwoods. I immediately grabbed my grunt tube and made two loud aggressive grunts. He stopped in his tracks, turned towards me and started on his way. He stopped once more about 40 yards out and began to paw the ground and thrash his antlers on a tree. I then grunted twice more, not quite as aggressive this time, and this seemed to piss him off. He came directly to me and ended up within 15 yards in front of my stand.

I drew back my BowTech Flatliner and let fly. Initially I though the shot might be slightly far back so my father and I left the buck for an hour and a half before looking for it. Turns out the fact that he was quartering away put the shot in perfect placement, double lung shot with a 70 yard recovery.

Here are a couple quick pictures we snapped, he has a 22 1/2 inch inside spread and the G2 on his right antler (left one in the pictures) was 9 1/2 inches. The left antler seems to be broken from fighting or something..

Also, any ideas what he might score? I am going to get him mounted so once that is done I will have to get him scored.

I also have some video of various deer I have seen over the season so far, if I can get it off of the video camera I will be sure to post them but I am having some technical difficulties with the camera as it stands right now.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Beauty! Congrats!!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Mike P

Re: The Rut Is On - Buck Down.

Post by Mike P »

Bow Life wrote:I decided this year that I was going to let the smaller bucks walk in hopes of it paying off with a big guy.
And It Did!

Fantastic buck Mike.

I would not worry about the score for this bucks antlers. It will not be indicative of what a great buck he is. He has great mass and spread but the lack of points will hurt him score wise.

Antler score is not the measure of this buck.

This is a mature buck and it took a tremendous effort to harvest him.

That is how this guy should be judged.
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

That is absolutely an awesome buck. Great Job. I would definitely have that baby mounted.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

congrats on yer great Buck
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Congrats..Great story, Great Buck. Your hard work clearly paid off.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

jee wizzz thats sure i nicen :D well done
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
kmtpr

Post by kmtpr »

Congrats, awesome buck!!! :D Enjoyed reading about your hunt. He'll make a great mount. 8) Please post pics when you get him back.
Am a non-hunting woman who supports hunting and crossbows!

I rather be hated for standing up for what I believe in, than be popular by going against my beliefs.

NRA Golden Eagles & ILA, NJOA
huntone

Post by huntone »

:shock: Wow, Great buck.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
saxman

Post by saxman »

excellent buck
Congrats :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Z24pride

Post by Z24pride »

Now that is a buck!!!!Congrats!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Awesome buck, congrats Mike!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vinemack

Post by vinemack »

nice buck congrats :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations on a nice buck!!!!!!
wabi
maple

Post by maple »

Excellent hunting buddy!!

Looks like you did everything right and it paid off. That is one fine deer.

Maple