help on deciding drawweight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

alltimers

help on deciding drawweight

Post by alltimers »

Hi All I just started crossbow hunting this year and bought a lower end cross bow to see if I liked it. Loved it, helped a buddy and shot a bull. Anyways i only bought a 150 lb pull which i liked cause i didnt have to use a puller but I dont think it is enough and am looking at getting something bigger. What do you guys think, I hunt moose with it so i want something that will do the job what do you recommend fellow crossbow hunters.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Any of the bows from excalibur is enough draw to harvest 90% of what we hunters chase. Many speak volumes about their lower draw weight bows, and they harvest a good number of deer with them. If you want to be able to pull it back by hand, its not a negative. Your probably wise for doing so. Forgetting a cocking device is a pain!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Go to excalibur.com, click on arrow ballistics. Then you decide. If you want one of the big boys, you will need a cocking rope. :D :D
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

If you plan to hunt moose you owe it to yourself to get a high poundage model. It will allow you to shoot heavier arrows with larger cut broadheads. That gives you an advantage with trajectory, with penetration and also with cut size. Cut size does count.

Forget about cocking by hand. The crankaroo or the rope cocking tool makes cocking easy. I COULD cock my Exomax by hand, but I decline to do it. The cocking tools give a consistent, even, loading on each limb when you use them to cock your bow. That means more accuracy, and I want all of that I can get. Only in some kind of a pinch would I ever cock by hand.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

just about any excal hunting bow would work ...but i would lean towards 200lb or higher...
blackjack

Re: help on deciding drawweight

Post by blackjack »

alltimers wrote:Hi All I just started crossbow hunting this year and bought a lower end cross bow to see if I liked it. Loved it, helped a buddy and shot a bull. Anyways i only bought a 150 lb pull which i liked cause i didnt have to use a puller but I dont think it is enough and am looking at getting something bigger. What do you guys think, I hunt moose with it so i want something that will do the job what do you recommend fellow crossbow hunters.
g'day l reckon 175 to 200 lb is plenty, remember not so long ago 150 lb was knocking them down.. but like we say down under (nothing exceeds like excess) regards frank :twisted:
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
wabi

Post by wabi »

Judging from the pics I've seen on here in the past of dead moose harvested with a Vixen, I'd say any of the Excaliburs will do their part.
It's up to you to use a sharp broadhead and put it in the right place. :wink:
wabi
hawg hunter

which bow

Post by hawg hunter »

I've never fired a 150# Vixen; but form my own personal experience at shooting big tough animals ;elk and wild hawgs and a few african plains game a 175# phoenix will do the trick. I own 3 excals Paradox, Exomag, and a Phoenix.My Phoenix has killed every thing that it was shot at and with a complete passthrough. It can be cocked by hand but its tough,use rope cocking aid.
alltimers

draw weight

Post by alltimers »

thanks everybody for there advice. Like i said i did drop a bull this year using the 150 lb pull and i was only 15 yards away However I hit him through the lungs and he ran fro 175 yards or so into the swamp. The arrow did go right through him making it harder to follow as there was little blood to follow. Maybe as somebody suggested i need bigger broad heads but i am using 150 g ??? oh well live and learn ( and ask lots of questions)
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

By bigger I think they mean "more cutting surface." in other words, you can use a lighter bhead with bigger blades.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It's not the weight of the broadhead that does the damage. It's the length of the blades.

Here is the difference between a 2" cut broadhead, a 1.5" cut and a 1 1/8th" cut. The more cutting surface the better. However, the more cutting surface you have, the more KE needed to get a pass through.

You will actually need heavier broadheads for more KE. More weight, more of a punch . . .kind of like a loaded freight train, they are hard to stop once moving.

I would go with brass inserts and a 125gr Stricknine for a moose. I'm currently getting pass throughs with this set-up less the brass insert for whitetail deer and the arrows are going about an extra 15 yards. That's shooting from ground level. All the deer have gone less than 60 yards since using the Stricknines. If this doesn't do the trick, then keep adding weight until it passes.

Good luck!
Last edited by sumner4991 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
terrym

Post by terrym »

Where you hit the moose has alot to do with blood trail. If you hit him high it will fill the lungs and he could cover some ground before showing a heavy bloodtrail. I f I was choosing a xbow for moose it would be the 200lb. Vortex. It lets you shoot a heavier arrow at decent speeds and is all you need. Also its not as prone to serving wear and might be a tad more reliable. Use a good strong broadhead like a slicktrick 125 gr. and you are good to go. They will punch through a moose nicely. Also a complete passthru is what you want and going to an overly large broadhead like 1.75-2" cut will actually hinder penetration. Stick to a solid 1.25" Slicktrick and you will be happy.
Phoenix
Boo string
Dan Miller quiver mount
STS
Varizone
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/linderhof/iceage.gif[/img]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

terrym wrote: overly large broadhead like 1.75-2" cut will actually hinder penetration. Stick to a solid 1.25" Slicktrick
Actually, again, it's the total cutting surface that hinders penetration(all other things equal). The 1.25" cut GrizzTricks have about as much if not more cutting surface than a 1.75" three blade broadhead. Probably close to the same as the 2" cut three blade.

Total cutting surface . . .more is better. The more cutting surface, the more cutting and bleeding. AND, the more KE needed to get a pass through.

The Grizz Tricks are a good option. Not as accurate as the Stricknines, but, very well built.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Here are some arrow ballistics. 400gr arrows

350fps - 20yds 336.72fps 101fp of KE

325fps - 20yds 312.54fps 87fp of KE

300fps - 20yds 288.73fps 74fp of KE

Notice how fast the fps and fp of KE drop. So if you want to hit hard you have to go fast. At 350fps,at 50yds you have 90fp of KE, At 325fps at 10yds, you have 90fp of KE. That's why I went with the Exomax. I find that is a big difference. At that many fp of KE, almost any BH will go through.
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I recommend the 150 LB. vixen older full size stock model. It will take any deer you shoot. The yardage needs to stay 35 yds & under
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315