How big is this 8 pointer???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RyanB

How big is this 8 pointer???

Post by RyanB »

Hey guys/gals

Just wondering for those that are good at judging the size of a whitetale can give me idea on the size of this 8pointer thats showing up in my backyard every couple of days (have yet to see him in person but it has went from him showing up at 4am gradually has gotten earlier and last night it was just after 6pm so I am hopeing for the best!)

Anyway, I don't think I have seen a living 8 pointer as wide and tall as this guy (antlers are out aprox 3-4" beyond the ears) in my area and just want to get idea on how big he actually is. Probably not going to help with the dreaded buck fever I get if I ever do see him w/bow in hand.
Thanks in advance...RyanB
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

looks just like the one iam after lol :D
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Big but need some frame of reference to score. Neighbor shot a 168 B&C 8 pointer a week ago with rifle. (That's no typo). That was a BIG 8.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
maple

Post by maple »

240 pounds. Maybe bigger.

3/4" thick chops, 4-5 pound sirloin tip roasts, huge round steaks, and lots of sausage.

Maple
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

He looks big to me.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I'll say mid to high 130's. Its a great looking deer to me but with some shorter tine length the gross isn't what it could be.
Why ride when you can walk!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Nice looking buck, in most people's books. :D
Grizz
wildman

Post by wildman »

If he is 20+ inches wide inside which I think he is I'd say high 130's maybe 140 will depend alot on how heavy he is...Damn nice 8 point in any bodys book ... :)
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

120 if you stand on the tape. His g1's really hurt him in the scoring department.
huntone

Post by huntone »

Big enough :wink: :D
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

He's going to hit 125-130. His body size actually makes his antlers look bigger.

He's a pretty eight-point, but in terms of the 'scoring department', he's a little light.

I'd be tempted to let him walk until next year and hope that he'd still be there, but, that's just me.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not big enough to get a trophy hunter excited, but too big for me to let walk! :wink:
wabi
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Nice buck Ryan. I think 120 is pushing it. G1s really hurt, so much so that he might as well be a six. Not tall, wide, or thick but an overall good deer. The problem is its hard to judge his age from the pics. I'm guessing 3 1/2 but that is strictly a guess. Not a shooter for me, but if he is for you, good luck.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

thanks for the replys everyone! I have others pics showing body size next to doe's and he is a big deer, my brother tagged a nice one last week and this deer is deffinatly bigger. Will see what happenes, he has lived thru the gun hunt in the area and its really only archery (1 week of black powder but I have yet to hear shooting around here durring that week) so I may just let him walk and keep an eye out for him next year. I live in 14 acres and my bush is a transition bush with a swamp on either side owned by a bunch of anti-hunter property owners so I think he will still be around next year.

See what happens...I just like the idea of a nice true 8-pointer!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Big enough that the antlers would look gr8 tied onto your backpack next year to rattle. Thats what I do. Just tie antlers down when you put them on your pack. Don't be like the turkey fellow in the movie crawling up over the hill with his decoy LOL