Need tactical advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Need tactical advice

Post by ninepointer »

The deer are hitting a small, tucked away cornfield, recently cut. I'd really like to hunt this spot in the morning, but there's just no way to get in without spooking any deer that might be feeding there in the pre-dawn. Do I take a chance on spooking the deer in the morning darkness, get into position and hope they return?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
DirtyGun

Re: Need tactical advice

Post by DirtyGun »

ninepointer wrote:The deer are hitting a small, tucked away cornfield, recently cut. I'd really like to hunt this spot in the morning, but there's just no way to get in without spooking any deer that might be feeding there in the pre-dawn. Do I take a chance on spooking the deer in the morning darkness, get into position and hope they return?
How about hitting them in the afternoon, when they pop out to feed again? Get yourself in mid afternoon and have a nice sit to settle the area down and wait them out. If they're there in the mornings, it's most likely the first place they hit just before dark too.

Going in during the early morning hours is taking a chance at pressuring them too much and if they are pressured, they'll find another spot to feed.

If you do some research, you will find that the vast majority of big bucks are taken just before dark, not in the mornings.
wabi

Re: Need tactical advice

Post by wabi »

DirtyGun wrote:
ninepointer wrote:The deer are hitting a small, tucked away cornfield, recently cut. I'd really like to hunt this spot in the morning, but there's just no way to get in without spooking any deer that might be feeding there in the pre-dawn. Do I take a chance on spooking the deer in the morning darkness, get into position and hope they return?
How about hitting them in the afternoon, when they pop out to feed again? Get yourself in mid afternoon and have a nice sit to settle the area down and wait them out. If they're there in the mornings, it's most likely the first place they hit just before dark too.

Going in during the early morning hours is taking a chance at pressuring them too much and if they are pressured, they'll find another spot to feed.

If you do some research, you will find that the vast majority of big bucks are taken just before dark, not in the mornings.
Sounds like the plan I'd use. :wink:
wabi
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Got enough room on your ladder stand to lay out a bed roll? Do you snore?

:D :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

some times if I know deer are out and I can't get in without spooking them, I'll either go in 2 hours early or a half hour late. Once you can see the field, you should be able to get in without spooking anything.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

we have a field that deer hit just before dark and exit just after sunrise ...so hunting it in the am is usually not much sense ....try to get ther before them or nail them on their way out ...set up in some good ambush zones
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'd hunt the field starting in mid afternoon but ambush them along the return routes to bedrooms in morning....away from the food source.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!