A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I can never look at a dead animal without feeling some sense of loss or a twinge of sadness, even if the animal was a nuisance.

I'm not against the reality of the hunt. The blood, guts, gore and mess are all part of it. I'm not saying I don't have pictures of bloody hands, of gutted deer, of butchering, but I appreciate the photos that show respect for the the animal, the photos that strive to present the animal with as much dignity as possible.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
blackjack

Re: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words.

Post by blackjack »

g'day mike l agree. we have the same problem's here in Australia as well greenies & all. l say why give them the ammo!!! best regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

John wrote: Pictures are for memories. Take what you can when you can,
I absolutely agree, John. Everybody should take any and all the photos they want, but I think a dinstinction needs to be made between pictures taken and pictures posted. Whether its photos, movies, or written word once its online its out of your control. I see nothing wrong with taking pics of blood and guts and the "reality" of hunting, but it makes no sense to POST any picture that doesn't show the upmost respect to the quarry and the sport. Just my opinion.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

You can believe that the anti-hunting ,warm and fuzzy nature shows/videos are edited for blood and guts! When a lioness grabs a giraffe by the throat the video is cut until the little ones are getting a meal. No one gets to see the poor prey animal struggle for breath for 7 minutes before choking to death while others in the pride rip its guts out. my $0.02 worth
thanks philip
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Where is there any kind of respect? You just took somethings life, and then we are going to eat it, I don't give a damn what the anti's think or do it shouldn't effect any of us as hunters as long as were with in the law, looks to me some here worry to much about what someone else thinks, I'am not a closet hunter and no one else should be either, the shooting of people while hunting is what hurts us more than anything, not pics of animals we are going to eat

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Where do we draw the line on what's acceptable to share on the web and what isn't? Where does the practice of "hunter correctness" stop?

If we shouldn't post pics that show the scene of death, or wounds, or any part of the retrieval, hauling or butchering process ... if we must "tidy up and look nice" in pics to be shared, then where does that ideology end?

If pictures are compared to words, then what about our words?

Shall we refrain from telling about the shot, or how the arrow struck, or what it did, or where the deer ended up? Shall we be silent about the waiting, and tracking and blood-trailing ... about finding and sometimes losing our game? Must we not tell of the labors of getting our game home, and of "working it up" and enjoying the fruits of our labors? Will we tell of the "thrill of victory" and not of the "agony of defeat"?

If we must toe the line of this "correctness" in order to "properly present our sport to the world", then to what degree and extent shall we apply the line to all of our communications ... and what is that line, and who determines it?

This sort of talk about what others should and shouldn't post is a touchy thing, folks. It must be remembered that our ideas about the pictures people post are subjective opinion ... they have to do with how we feel about what we see ... and we'll never all agree on what's appropriate. Never.

Talk of what is "acceptable" for posting and what's not sounds good, but we need to keep in mind that while prudence in sharing is commendable, there is real danger in imposing the stricture of pressure upon others to submit to what you think is proper ... however subtly that pressure is applied.

Keep in mind that what sounds so good to begin with can soon become a burden to us all. Gone to seed, these ideas create a bondage no one initially wanted. All it takes is a little bit of cooperative submission to the ideas of others about what you should and shouldn't post, and before you know it, the "cords of decency" become "chains of slavery" ... and you've got people saying what someone said in a post not long ago about a deer pic they hadn't had time to "clean up": "I didn't know whether it was OK to post this or not."

Let us all follow the dictates of our individual conscience when it comes to "telling our story" here on the forum ... in pictures or words. If what we've done in killing game is honest, and leaves us with no feeling of shame or regret, then let's post accordingly.
Grizz
lscha

Post by lscha »

Thank you Grizz!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

Grizzly Adam wrote: Where does the practice of "hunter correctness" stop? If we must toe the line of this "correctness" in order to "properly present our sport to the world", then to what degree and extent shall we apply the line to all of our communications ... and what is that line, and who determines it?
Not putting anyone down but I agree with Grizz. In the name of political correctness we are slowly giving up our rights by weeding out things we don't thing the antis will approve of or will give them ammunition. Not positing pics or talking about the hunt is not going to make them like us. They are not going to like hunters or hunting no matter what we do or don't do. Our not doing something only encourages and makes them believe they are winning.

This is a hunting forum. Is there really that much difference between a deer lying in the grass with a puddle of blood or one lying in the back of a pickup. As long as the pics and words fall within the guideline - post away. We don't to look or read - we can always back away from the post.
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Real McCoy wrote:
Grizzly Adam wrote: Where does the practice of "hunter correctness" stop? If we must toe the line of this "correctness" in order to "properly present our sport to the world", then to what degree and extent shall we apply the line to all of our communications ... and what is that line, and who determines it?
Not putting anyone down but I agree with Grizz.
And I'm certainly not "putting anyone down" either.

I trust that those who know me well on this forum know that.

We've got a lot of new members, though, so for the record, let it be known that I'm just stating the way I see it ... something we've always done freely here.

This is obviously a "hot potato" topic, so let's all respect each other even when we disagree on this issue ... and it's obvious we don't all see it the same way. That's OK.

We make up a good family.

:D
Grizz
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Where do we draw the line on what's acceptable to share on the web and what isn't? Where does the practice of "hunter correctness" stop?
Hey ... let's make one thing clear ... One persons view of correct can be much different than anothers !

I have never pushed anybody to stop taking pictures , if anything I promote photo journal's !

I say , take whatever pic's you want ... Unless you are enetring then in a photo contest , what would you care who judged them or who even looked at them ?

Party on guys and gals ... priority # 1 is have fun in the field , hunt leagaly and ethically ... trophies come in all shapes and sizes !

The meat

The accomplishment ( big buck , small , buck , doe doesn't matter )

Photo's that remind you of the hunt , years from now ( in what ever format or composition you choose )

Some times it's the enjoyment of hunting alone and soaking in some quiet time ..'

Other times it a blast to hunt with friends and family ... some of my favorite hunts have been hunts when we never even fired a shot or launched an arrow ! .... just awsome to get out and try !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

I was not intending to put anyone down , one way or the other either, just making an observation i guess.
thanks philip
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

R.J. wrote:
Hey ... let's make one thing clear ... One persons view of correct can be much different than anothers !

I have never pushed anybody to stop taking pictures
No one said you did, buddy! :D
Grizz
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

All good input from everyone, thank you.

I think it is important to note that I said in the original post that I also could care less what the anti's think. They are going to grab and use anything we do and say regardless of any efforts we put forth to be "politically correct."

The only non-hunters that I am concerned with are John and Jane Doe, the voters who ultimately have control over my hunting. I will try not to post anything, words or pictures , that will convert them to the anti's side of the fence.

Posting pictures that John and Jane might find distasteful is up to you. Doing so and crowing that you don't care what anyone thinks is your right.

Does it further the interests of the entire hunting population as a group when you do so? Of course it does not. Quite the opposite, it hurts the entire hunting population. I don't think anyone here can make a case saying that pictures of blood and guts helps our approval rating with the voters.

I am saying you have to be smart about what you post. Saying you don't give a damn what others think is very short sighted. Those "others" may just go into the voting booth and tell you they don't give a damn what you think as they affect how and when you hunt. With the political climate what it is in North America these days we as hunters must be aware of this.

And for grizz I will quote the immortal Earl Pitts.

"Wake Up America!"

Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I love how these discussions can take place here without any personal attacks or anyone getting affended and I hope I haven't done either.

If I went back in time several years and talked to myself, we would have quite the argument. Back then I had the "screw what others think, i'll do what I want" attitude, but since then, I've had a couple of experiences that made me think otherwise. I have permission to hunt from one guy that doesn't hunt. This particular guy simply doesn't have the heart to kill anything, in fact, i have to "take care of" any raccoon he live traps. He lets a few guys that have worked for him hunt and has even taking a liking to some venison summer sausage we give him. I know if I showed him gory pictures he would be hesitant to let us hunt. So here's the kicker; i absolutely care what he thinks.

If you want to hunt, want to be a predator, be prepared to be in the minority. Even in nature predators are the fewest of the few. Its been said before that only about 10% of the population hunts and about 10% are absolutely against hunting (known as anti's). That leaves 80% of people that are on the fence and these are the ones that matter. When I say that we shouldn't give the anti's ammo, that mainly refers to them taking from that 80%. There are many people who don't mind hunting as long as they don't see the killing aspect of it. Now, I know and you know that killing is a part of hunting but for some, it isn't. That middle 80% does base it's opinon of hunting on what they see and here, why not only present huntings best qualities (in their eyes) and not its worst ones (in their eyes). To me, it makes much more sense to show the splendor of nature, commraderie amongst friends, and respect for the animals we hunt instead of a bloody dead animal being toted around town in the back of a truck.

Just my thoughts.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Kenton wrote:I love how these discussions can take place here without any personal attacks or anyone getting affended and I hope I haven't done either.
Who said they can?

Mike P has offended me.

I'm leaving, and I'm not coming back.
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz