Im starting to hate General Firearm season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Im starting to hate General Firearm season

Post by crazyfarmer »

today heading to a stand on land that only myself had permission to hunt I was greeted with a hunter whom had walked about 2 miles on this farm to hunt. He had been given permission to hunt it 6 years ago but hadnt bothered to ask since. Since im not one to start a dispute in the dark woods with guns I just said ok and went on to my stand. He backed out so I had thought. 15mins later I saw a light coming through the woods and he walks 30 yards form my stand right past me. OK, this is enough and this is how people get SHOT! I left out and im in the process of contacting the landowner to make sure this guy doesnt have permission. He's lucky someone else wasnt there and didnt shoot at him.

so this was my morning hunt that was busted....

I head back out at 11am to move a stand down the bottom 75 yards to a different spot deer have been crossing. I walked that area first and to my surprise I found 2 stands 60 yards apart and 100 yards from my location on POSTED land. GREATTTTTTTT... Word gets around about some spots I hunt and everyone assumes they can walk in and kill a big deer. Contacted that landowner and the matter is getting worked out now.

now, its 2:30pm and time to get into my stand. Around 4:30pm some kids decide its time to head to the back of the bordering land and sight in their ML'er again. They shot 10 times from then till sunset. This was a day I should have stayed home. Once general gun season opens here all "hell" breaks loose in the woods.

Im seriously considering renting 1000 acres with a friend and managing it so no one gets in there. Im getting to the point where im afraid to walk in the woods in certain places. You just dont know who is in the woods
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

I was saying the same 2 weeks ago about the trespassers and the spray and pray crowd here. It's brutal.
I come by my name honestly.
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Know how you feel crazy, I'm always botherd by people on quads. And on Sunday I found a hangon stand close to where I was gonna put one. By the way its my family"s farm and no permission was given! Guess some people dont, wont ask or they are just ignorant. Hope your luck changes!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I was going through the pics on the SD card from one of my game cameras recently.Had a few deer, a few hogs, even a few cows,I hit the button to scroll and there on the screen were two guys in full camo,one with a bow and one with a gun.The one with a gun has his face turned so that you can see a good profile of him.This is on land that we lease the hunting rights on.I printed pics up for the land owner, and the game warden, and the neighbors. No one seems to know who they are. The date on my camera is correct and this was during our Bow Only season.Some folks just dont care or just dont get it. These guys were so smart that my camera is mounted to a 2x4 stand that I made for lack of a suitable tree where I wanted the camera. I had brushed it originally,but the brush has long since been gone. These guys walked right past a camera in plain sight.
saxman

Post by saxman »

someone has been hunting my set ups but at least they haven't stole anything yet.
Just can't understand why people do that.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
picasso

Post by picasso »

I can relate to you! Later on in the season when muzzleloaders are allowed, I have seen way too many people walking around in the woods in an area where only I have permission to hunt on my friends farm.
I've seen everything from a woman walking her two dogs to another man hunting illegally with a rifle instead of a muzzleloader.

Picasso
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

flightattendant100 wrote:I was going through the pics on the SD card from one of my game cameras recently.Had a few deer, a few hogs, even a few cows,I hit the button to scroll and there on the screen were two guys in full camo,one with a bow and one with a gun.The one with a gun has his face turned so that you can see a good profile of him.This is on land that we lease the hunting rights on.I printed pics up for the land owner, and the game warden, and the neighbors. No one seems to know who they are. The date on my camera is correct and this was during our Bow Only season.Some folks just dont care or just dont get it. These guys were so smart that my camera is mounted to a 2x4 stand that I made for lack of a suitable tree where I wanted the camera. I had brushed it originally,but the brush has long since been gone. These guys walked right past a camera in plain sight.
Well after meeting you at Cabelas and hearing about your place, we kinda followed you just to see what it was like and........... :oops: :oops: :D :D
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

have had the same thing happen so many times I can't remember how many times. In the area I hunt there is a group of about 20 that go farm to farm making drives and never ask permission. one farmer confronted them and was told to go away or get shot. these are the type that have meth labs and would burn your house down with you and your family in it. road hunting and poaching seem to be sport of choice in some areas in Missouri :x
time in the woods is time well spent
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Something about deer hunting season that brings out the worst in some people.

One of the places I hunt is a good 600 acre tract. The guys next door have 3000 acres to hunt, but have brought a ladder stand to the property line fence, and faced the stand into our side. I just don't understand why people do disrespectful and inconsiderate stuff like that.

Guess where I now park my truck when I hunt in that area. Of course, in their eyes I am probably the bad guy for doing that. I hope I can find them in that stand someday. In situations like that I tend to leave a very direct and lasting impression of my opinion.

Dave
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

SUMMERVILLE, Pa. (AP) — An argument over trespassing apparently sparked a shootout in rural northern Pennsylvania Tuesday that left a landowner dead and a member of a bear hunting party hospitalized with a gunshot wound, police said.

Morris said Frank N. Shaffer, 63, of Red Lion was killed after he apparently confronted a group of four or five bear hunters about trespassing or walking across the land he owns with family members.

Paul H. Plyler, 23, of Summerville was shot once and taken by a private vehicle to a hospital in nearby Brookville. Morris said Plyler was transferred to a Pittsburgh hospital but his injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Summerville is about 15 miles from Punxsutawney and about 60 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. Morris described the scene of the shooting as very remote.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

I can defineately understand your frustration re: tresspassers ! We have the same problem here in Southern Ontario , and it sucks !

But ...
He backed out so I had thought. 15mins later I saw a light coming through the woods and he walks 30 yards form my stand right past me. OK, this is enough and this is how people get SHOT!
How would a guy , tresspasser or not , walking through the bush with a flash light be at risk of getting shot ?

In our gun season , everyone is required to wear Blaze Orange .

Or maybe you are making reference to him eventually being in the background without your knowledge and ending up being " Collateral Damage " ? ( that is unintended or incidental to the intended outcome. ) after a shot on a deer during the gun season ..

Probably just answered my own question ?
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
lscha

Post by lscha »

It's not me, CF. Honest!!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

planter wrote:We can have all the discussions we want about meeting snakes and skunks in the woods but during gun season I actually belly crawl the mile to my stand with my headlamp pointing straight up in red blink mode. :shock:
Somehow I think all of our copperheads, cottonmouths, eastern diamondback, timber and pygmy rattlers, coral snakes, black widows and FIREANTS would convince you to walk upright again! :D :lol: :P :wink:
Grizz
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Well after meeting you at Cabelas and hearing about your place, we kinda followed you just to see what it was like and........... :oops: :oops: :D :D[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Long
JRS

Re: Im starting to hate General Firearm season

Post by JRS »

crazyfarmer wrote:
Im seriously considering renting 1000 acres with a friend and managing it so no one gets in there. Im getting to the point where im afraid to walk in the woods in certain places. You just dont know who is in the woods
So why do you think that having your own land would make things any different than having exclusive rights on someone elses? Trespassers still won't care, I wouldn't think.