Leupold Scopes on Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xs109c2

Leupold Scopes on Crossbow

Post by xs109c2 »

Does anyone have any experience using Leupold scopes on thier crossbow. I am considering a 1 X 4 or 1.5 X 6 Luminated. Leupold will set paralex at any range you want. I'm looking at 30 yards? Any input welcome
Excaliber Exocet & Relayer25
Ten Point Phantom
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I have wondered the same thing and am very interested in replys from folks who have tried this. I know that Dan Miller has a Leupold listed on his price list but I dont know if parallax has been set to a shorter distance or if it is a shotgun or rimfire scope.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I think that Boo has a 1.75X6 32 VariX III on one of his crossbows. He mentioned it to me when I was having problems with my Maxzone. Shoot him a pm, he'll help you out.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
xs109c2

Post by xs109c2 »

Leupold has assured me that ALL of thier scopes are NOW manufactured to withstand the reverse recoil of a crossbow. They informed me that with the popularity of crossbows had made them make this provision!!!!!!!!
Ten Point Phantom
wabi

Post by wabi »

I used a 2-7X Vari-X I on my Phoenix for a short time while I was waiting for my crossbow scope to be exchanged.

It held up fine, but the parallax was not set for crossbow use so I took it off when the new crossbow scope arrived.

I have thought of buying another Leupold and having the parallax adjusted for 30 yards. I do not use the yardage marks for hunting (I zero @ 25 yards and any deer within 30 yards is dead with a "middle of the kill zone" hold).
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Yes, compromise at best. If you're not using a LimiZone, check out the Hawke. Made esp for crossbows. Most Lupies have only the crosshair to aim with. Great for single range but bummer further out ...unless you like to guesstimate.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Very well said bstout! I have the Excalibur Lumizone on my Exomax and the WORD EXCALIBUR on the scope is all i need in my Decision!!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
xs109c2

Post by xs109c2 »

Using a Leupold scope has nothing to do with satus. Excaliber scopes are fine for what they are but you cannot compare a $150 scope with a $500 scope. Durability and quality is what your getting with Leupold. When you spend thousands of for a hunt you feel a little better with a little more quality. It may not be for everyone but it is for me!!
Ten Point Phantom
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I have a VXII, 2x7 power that Danny had a few converted to crossbow use which includes parallax and crossbow reticules. Mine has them to 60 yds, and works on the same principle as the 'zones. Mine is set at between 2.5 and 3x for most arrow weights.

I got mine because the company converting them is no longer in business more so than the bling affect. Somewhat of a collectible.

I believe Don has a 1x4 power, and last I knew, Danny had one more of those left.

The ones he advertises are not the same. They have a regular duplex gun type crosshair and you can get 3 ranges, top duplex, crosshair and bottom duplex. I believe they are variable power shot gun scopes. The variable power enables them to work similar to mine and the 'zones.

Parallax issues from gun ranges and scopes set for them but used on closer range weapons like air rifles or crossbows can be beaten by mounting the stock the same every time. At least to hit a 9" pie [plate sized target of a deers vitals.
"Eze 18:21"
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

I use a shotgun scope on mine. I get mixed up counting lines. Been working for 4 years and 4 deer. Sighted in at 25 yards is 11/2 inch high at 15 and 11/2 inch low at 30 which is my limit. Parallex is 50 yds I think. Try one if you dont like it you didnt lose much.

Happy Hunting, Stosh
wabi

Post by wabi »

I guess it's time to drag out the soap box, so be careful or I may step on some toes. :wink:

This is only my personal observations and experiences from which I speak! Your experiences may be much different as the average crossbow shooter's experiences with various scopes is probably very limited.

If the first scope you buy does the job you may never look further, but if you have had multiple malfunctions and failures you may be wishing for a premium scope as I am. Please do not take offense at my observations! (Especially the Excalibur folks - you are great people!)

I've been hunting with crossbows for over a decade. I've had a few problems with equipment over those years, but perhaps the most discouraging was the scope failures and malfunctions. Not only did accuracy go awry but in two cases it cost me a deer, and in one of those a wounded deer got away! (I believe it was a high muscle hit from which the odds of survival is good, but I still felt very disheartened!)

The first failure(s) were with a TenPoint scope. It was before Excal introduced lighted reticles, so I bought a TenPoint scope. Scope #1 had faulty illumination on the reticle. It would go from too dim to see to so bright it was like looking at a spotlight, and do it at random. TenPoint exchanged a new scope for it without argument. Scope #2 was fine initially, but beginning my second year of hunting with the scope on my Phoenix I had a doe at less than 30 yards and decided to take her. When I squeezed off the shot I was able to see the arrow sail under her! What the heck????? I went immediately to the target and found the scope had unexpectedly shifted in POI. I always take one shot before I hunt just to ascertain nothing is wrong, and on this hunt that shot had been dead center at 25 yards. Now the arrows were hitting 6-8" low left, then that POI shifted again after a few shots. TenPoint was quick to replace my scope without hassle, so I soon had scope #3 in my hands. I took it out of the box and looked through it only to see a "huge spider" in the upper left of the field of view! It wasn't really a tarantula, it was a piece of dirt inside the scope! :roll: TenPoint sent me #4 which immediately was checked by me for any flaws and then listed on eBay the same day!

I then went to the Excalibur VariZone. It worked fine at first but after it was about a year old it did a sudden shift in POI. That was this season, and a shot that should have been slightly high went way too high. I tracked the deer and from all indications it stopped bleeding and continued on in it's escape. No signs of a dead deer in following days convinced me it probably survived with a non-fatal cut above it's spine.
I checked the scope and it had suddenly shifted POI to a few inches high. I had a thread on the forum about my troubles with the accuracy (it would hold for several shots, the jump unexpectedly) and finally found the ring securing the objective lens had come loose. I tightened it firmly, and so far the problem is cured.

But.........
I sure would feel a lot more secure if I had a premium scope! I'll probably go ahead with my VariZone for the rest of this season (checking it frequently), but if I have any more problems the Phoenix will be wearing a different sight!

To be fair to the companies marketing these scopes, I have been in business for myself for 25 years and understand being competitive and meeting market demand. The average shooter wants a premium scope at a bargain basement price, and this isn't a reality! Compromise is the key word for this situation. :wink: Let's sell a fair to good quality scope at a reasonable price and ignore the market possibilities at the other ends of the scale is not too bad a strategy. The low end is easily covered by other brands, and the premium quality has very little demand.

I'm sure it isn't worth a premium scope manufacturer's time and expense at this point to make and market a crossbow specific scope. Perhaps in the future the growth of crossbow hunting will create enough demand to inspire production, but that may be a long wait.

To those who have bought a "brand name - crossbow specific" scope for their crossbow and had no problems I can only wish you continues success!

But for those who have had problems the hope for a premium scope is still a dream we hope comes true sooner than later.

It's not about status for me - it's all about being able to hunt feeling secure I can ethically take game without worrying about one more possible weak link in the chain!

Down off the box now, I'm not good with words like some people so I get long-winded trying to express a point. :shock: :lol:
If you read it all I thank you, and hope you see my point.
wabi
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I read it all Mike, and it was worth the read. One more little detail about my Leupold, the hairs are a tad 'fine' for those first and last 15 minutes of hunting times.

I actually prefer a V-zone for hunting, but take a gazillion more shots target shooting than hunting these days. I'm betting your Zone has found a home and your scope problems are over.
"Eze 18:21"
gerald

Post by gerald »

I have been using an old original made in USA Redfield Widefield 2 3/4 power scope on my Excalibur for years. It has a post crosshair reticle which is very easy to see in fading light. I have no problems with the parallax on this scope as is, however it can be adjusted yourself if you know how. The scopes with all the lines in them are too cluttered for my liking. I have markers set out from my stand at 20, 30, and 40 yds when I hunt and I know where my bow shoots at those ranges. The hold is easy. These old scopes can be found if you search hard enough. They are worth the effort.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I always think about swapping to a higher quality scope, I love the Leopolds that Danny has but I am having such terrific luck with my Lumi-Zone. It has been beat up pretty bad and just keeps dead on.
The only benifit I can figure to swapping out now would be better low light performance.
I would like to see Excalibur offer a higer end scope for those willing to spend a few extra dollers on a better glass. If anyone could pull that off I am sure it would be them.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I would love fer Excal to come out with a scope with 2 marks fer 20 & 30 yds. Thats my hunting range
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315