Fletchings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

axis

Fletchings

Post by axis »

Need help in fletching. All the glues I have tried all do the same thing, stick to the shaft and not the vane.On Arrows & Bolts The vane pop off and the glue is stuck to the shaft. I'm tired of wasting my time, vanes and glue. It starts to coast money. Glues I have tried. fletch-tite Platinum, Fastset gal, Gorilla glue. Maybe rough up the vane side. I don't know. Vane type used QuikSpin ST, Easton Dimond E Vanes, and Bohning Fletch-Tite Vanes. And they all say do not touch the base of vane with anything........ 95% of time I can use the vane over again when I find them. Need some Ideas. :idea:

Axis
Big John

n

Post by Big John »

Hmmmmm? I use all of those, and no problems. You could try Goat tuff or PR 1500 glues.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

try cleaning the vane(s) with alcohol or some other suitable solvent. if the glue is sticking to the shaft but not the vanes then the vane(s) may not be clean enough... worth a try anyway ,and good luck!
thanks philip
Normous

Post by Normous »

pdislow wrote:try cleaning the vane(s) with alcohol or some other suitable solvent. if the glue is sticking to the shaft but not the vanes then the vane(s) may not be clean enough... worth a try anyway ,and good luck!
I agree, manufacturing oils may have spoiled your attempt.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
axis

Post by axis »

I ruff up the shafts, rinse with water let dry and then glue. They hold for a little while then they start to pop off. Glue stuck to the shaft and not the vane.

Thanks for the help
Axis
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

If you have oil on vanes wash then in Dawn dishwashing detergent, then either alcohol or acetone shafts after also using Dawn to wash them.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Had the same problem, Got loctite with the brush, Had it again, I put mote glue on the vane and they stick great. I was not useing enough glue.
Hope this helps.
Good luck hunting, Stosh
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I had the problem with some Quikspin Hunter ST vanes. I cleaned the glueing surface with alcohol and that worked great. I've been having the same problem with Fusion vanes on some really old 2213s for my compound bow. I thought it might be oxidation and gave the arrows an even more thorough cleaning (steel wool, acetone, alcohol) and the vanes fell off again. Cleaned the arrows again and used wraps. This time the vanes stuck to the wraps much better but I still had a couple that didn't hold. I should have cleaned those vanes too. I think that the manufacturers say you shouldn't have to clean the vanes as a marketing ploy. In reality, you have to remove the stuff on them that's left over from the molding process so they don't stick to the mold.

BTW, adding 10 grains of wraps didn't affect POI, as far as I could tell, on my compound. But then again, I'm not getting 1" groupings like with my Excalibur. YMMV.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Also, I'm starting to think the Arizona EZ Fletcher may not be well suited for the greater glueing surface area of the Fusion vanes. The portion of the jig that applies pressure to the base of the vanes appears (to the eye) to be thinner than the width of the vane's base. I'll look into that tonight.
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Some of the vanes do have a release agent on them from the mold(or so I have been told). Alcohol should be the fix.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I found this on the NAP website and it's very interesting what they have to say about acetone being a barrier to adhesion when using cyanoacrylate based adhesives. They recommend water to wipe down the shafts. But if you're using solvent based adhesives they recommend using acetone on the shafts and the vanes.

QuikSpin vane installation instructions.
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s