Deer rifles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: Deer rifles

Post by sumner4991 »

I really, really, really like the .270. It's a great all around gun. I shot a crow at 300 yards once and it really isn't a fluke with a good rest.

I have a cousin that is deadly with the .243 and I like it too for the whitetail in our area(largest is typically 200 pounds).

I got rid of a 30.06 and a 30-30 when I got my .270 thirty years ago and I haven't had another rifle since. Groundhogs, deer, crows, turkey, rabbits . . .I've shot everything with the .270. I'm certain the .243 would be just as good.

I would strongly suggest looking at the cost of the shells before buying a odd calibur rifle. A buddy of mine has a rifle right now that he doesn't like to shoot because of the cost of the ammo.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TPM

Post by TPM »

Have seen 3 deer just run away after being hit with a 30/30 I am sure they died later and it is a shame when this happens.
I know this discussion has centered heavily around calibers but we must remember the absolute most important thing is shot placement. The original post asked about shooting deer out to 125 yards and at that range a properly placed shot from any "deer caliber" will cleanly dispatch the animal. At one point in my life I spent 9 years hunting deer and moose with a rather large hunt camp and I was able to see how many calibers performed. I saw deer that went a long way after being hit (some were lost) by everything from 30-30's, .270's. .243's, .308's, 30-06's, 35 REM, 300 SAV, even a 35 Whelan and I can say that in pretty much every case where the deer was finally recovered it was hit by a bad shot. Not to say any of those are poorly performing calibers, quite the contrary, I've also seen them all take deer cleanly (I even saw a moose dropped with one shot from a 30-30) but it was all about shot placement. I don't know the ranges the deer where shot at in the above quote but if a deer hit with a 30-30 within 100-125 yards runs to the point where it is never recovered I can almost guarantee it was a badly placed shot.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
bbbwb

Post by bbbwb »

I echo TPM's remarks regarding shot placement. That was a mainstay in Jack O'Connors writings in Outdoor Life. He was a strong advocate of the 270. I purchased a Browning BAR 270 in 1976. It has been a great rifle taking moose and deer.
For a number of years I hunted in Cedar swamps for deer. The ranges were short ---- max 75 yards. I used the 12 ga. shotgun with slugs. They are a very effective killing machine for the shorter distances.
My buddy used a 243 but felt it was primarily suited for the open shooting. If encountering any growth of even light shrubbery, he preferred a heavier caliber. He chose the 270.
As stated, try as many different calibres as you can, but there are many to choose from that will do the job. Strictly personal preference.

bbbwb
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

I hunted with a 30-30 for many years, with out losing 1 deer. I then bought a 700 Rem., 270. I Have shot deer from 15yds to 200yds, with out losing 1. I agree, shot placement is the key. :mrgreen: :D
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Thanks for the replies. I might not be the best shot, but can hold my own. Shot placement is key and the deer that were lost to other hunters were shot behind the front shoulder. I think back then I was using 180 grn bullets maybe they were to heavy? Started shooting them in the neck (with the .270) and never had another problem. Might play with different bullets and bullet wieghts for my 30-30. Thanks again, Crispy
Crispy
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

It's WHAT you hit them with that matters also. I shoot Barnes TSX, a monolithic, all copper bullet that gives me great accuracy as well as terminal performance...20 one-shot kills (0 losses), from 5 chamberings is the reason why. Neck shots (and heads shot) are feast of famine. Hit where you aim and it's bang-flop; just a bit off, and it's goodbye WOUNDED deer.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

Hey crispy give the 150grain hollow points from winchester a try, they are extrememly accurate from my 30-30 (every guns diff. though) and do a really nice job on deer. Like others said though any bullet from a 30-30 will put a deer down quickly if the shot is perfect it's those less than perfect shots that require a good performing bullet.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I have a . 243 and it is very low recoil and handles like a dream.
It in my mind has several advantages over the 30.30.
It is flatter shooting letting you shoot at longer yardage than the 30.30
The 30.30 really is best under 100 yards were you can double that with the .243 the flat trajectory helps avoid brush as well as the low recoil will let you shoot to your full potential .
When feed 100gr bullets it drops deer like crazy .
My .243 is a Ruger International with a full length stock and I would not hesatate to recomend it.
The winchester model 70 feather weight is a real beauty also.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Another option is managed recoil loads I think they load them for the .270
Hunt eat sleep repeat.