Florida poachers nabbed in Switzerland County Indiana

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

..........and given a slap on the wrist..

VEVAY - Operating on a complaint call from an alert citizen, Indiana conservation officers from the Department of Natural Resources apprehended two Florida men early Tuesday morning on deer poaching charges in Switzerland County.

Lee Hunter, 43, of Perry, Fla., and Bobby Futch, 41, of Steinhatchee, Fla., each were charged with four counts of illegally taking deer and one count of using a spotlight to illegally take deer. The violations are Class C misdemeanors.

Hunter and Futch entered guilty pleas Wednesday in Switzerland County Circuit Court and face fines and court costs, $500 reimbursement per deer and forfeiture of their firearm.

The citizen who contacted law enforcement officials by phone after hearing gunfire from a nearby highway provided a vehicle description, direction of travel and information that one of the suspects exited the vehicle on foot.

A short time later, officers from the Vevay Police Department and Switzerland County Sheriff's Department observed a spotlight being shined from the suspect vehicle. They stopped the vehicle and found the driver, Hunter, in possession of a .22 magnum rifle and spotlight.

While interviewing Hunter, officers learned his accomplice, Futch, was on foot to remove the head of a male white-tailed they had just shot.

Indiana Conservation Officer Cpl. Steve Kinne located a freshly killed headless deer carcass near the scene, as well as a saw and the removed deer head. With assistance from Switzerland County sheriffs and K-9 units, Kinne determined Futch's direction of travel. Futch, who had fled on foot, was contacted via Hunter's cell phone and convinced to surrender to law enforcement officers.

Further investigation revealed the two men illegally killed an additional six deer in Indiana during November.

"They weren't killing the deer for the meat or for profit but just for the antlers," Kinne said. "It was just so they could take the antlers back to Florida and brag about the big deer they shot. The meat was going to waste."

Kinne credited interagency cooperation for making "a world of difference" in the investigation. Units assisting Indiana Conservation Officers were the Vevay Police Department, Switzerland County Sheriff's Department, and Indiana State Police.

Citizens are encouraged to call the Turn-In-A-Poacher hotline if they suspect illegal fish and wildlife activity or polluting. The toll-free number is 1-800-TIP-IDNR (1-800-847-4367). Reports also can be made online at TIP.IN.gov.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Good, good, GOOD!

At least they were caught, prosecuted, found guilty and sentenced.

I rejoice in every such instance.

I wish the laws were stiffer, too.

As you know, my brother lives in Jefferson County, next to Switzerland, and hunts very near the line.

I think every deer a poacher kills is a deer stolen from an honest hunter.

I can't STAND poachers. :evil: :evil:
Grizz
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

They didnt even take the meat!! What a couple of loosers, they both need stiffer senteces!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

If it had been Ohio it would have been way more then $500 for every buck they killed.

Indianna needs to take a look at the way Ohio is charging poachers for the deer they kill.
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Woody, my firend, how are you? It's been a while, hasn't it?
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

GaryDowdy wrote:Woody, my firend, how are you? It's been a while, hasn't it?
Yes, it has.

Hope all is well with you and your's.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
gogo

Post by gogo »

Here in Ontario it would have been thousands for fines equipment, vehicles gone hunting license gone it would't be pretty.
saxman

Post by saxman »

We have some real Goobers down here
I think Indiana should keep them both for a year for each deer they shot and put them to work while they wait out their vacataion.
Maybe that would deter my other fellow Floridians.

Good to see you Woody :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011