X-BOW PEEP SITE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

X-BOW PEEP SITE

Post by gerald strine »

Hi
CrossBow virgen here with a site question I am considering getting a crossbow for next season (Equinox) but have not actually seen any Excalibur Crossbows in stock in my area to look at.
My question is about the front post on the standerd peep site is there only one yardage pin or mulitple aiming points.
Also a 225 draw weight seams like it would be tuff to cock I am verticaly challanged and was wondering if the rope cocking aid would get the job done for me. I shoot a 56# compound apples to oranges I know but any input would be appreacited.
Thanks
Jerry
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
one shot scott

Re: X-BOW PEEP SITE

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum jerry! It may be worth a drive to find a retailer that carries Excalibur. Its the only way your going to know if the equinox is too much. I am not tall, and find I can cock it without too much problem. You can even shorten the cocking rope abit, for shorter arms.

As for the peep, I beleive it has provisions for 10, 20, 30 yards, but the only pin is 20.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Actually the pin has 2 blk pins above & below the gn. fiber pin. You can paint them & even set-up 10-20-30 yds or 15-25-35. Will be half the poundage if rope cocker is used or crankaroo is about 8 lb as you crank on it.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Welcome to the forum. I have the EXOMAX, with arthritis in my shoulders, I can cock it fairly easy, with the rope cocker. I have kind of tried to cock by hand, but didn't get it cocked, didn't want to hurt myself. I'll admit, it is hard, but could be done. As far as the pin sites, I'm not sure, I have the varizone scope. :mrgreen: :) :)
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Welcome, here's a pic of them. I like them for turkey hunting from a blind and usually swap my scope for them but this year will just use the kids Vixen. Like mentioned, you can get a couple of ranges out of the pin, I use it for 20 and the top of post under it for 30.
"Eze 18:21"
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Island Hunter wrote:I have the EXOMAX, with arthritis in my shoulders, I can cock it fairly easy, with the rope cocker. I have kind of tried to cock by hand, but didn't get it cocked, didn't want to hurt myself. I'll admit, it is hard, but could be done.
Yes, it can be done. I can cock my Exomax by hand without undue strain ... but I seldom do, and here's the reason:

Cocking a heavy crossbow by hand without some serious protection for your fingers is a perfect way to get some NERVE DAMAGE that will never go away ... and that's what will happen if you do a lot of it. Same thing goes for shooting heavy bows without a glove or release. It's BAD NEWS, and it shouldn't be done very much.

If you can cock your crossbow by hand, that's good, but there's really no reason to cock them by hand. Using the release is easier on our bodies, and it's a more accurate means of preparing our bows for the shot. :D

It is fun, though, when introducing someone to crossbows, to cock the 'Max by hand as if there were nothing to it, and then let them have a go! :P :wink:

It's a good way to convince them that rope-aids are the way to go! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Grizz
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Quite correct about 'open' sights, Bob. Problem w/ that is these aren't 'open' sights, it's an 'aperature' sight. Your eye doesn't need to see or focus on the peep like it would on 'open' rear sight, your eye centers the pin in it automatically. That leaves you to work w/ the pin and the target, much like the crosshairs and the target.

Have you ever cupped your hand to make a small hole and then looked at a far away object through it? Try it, makes the object look clearer for some reason.

Lot's of guys that can't shoot open sights for the reasons you described can shoot p&p ok because w/ true open sights, your eye ball actually has to change shape rapidly to focus on all three objects. As we get older, those eye muscles slow down and that's where the blur can come in.

Another benefit to peep and pin? No parallax, lol Don't get fired up now! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

borrowed

ABSTRACT
With an aperture sight, often used on target rifles, the shooter looks
through a small hole in a metal plate that is mounted on the rear of the
rifle near the shooter’s eye, observes a front sight which is typically a
small vertical post located near the front of the barrel, and adjusts the
aim of the rifle until the top of that post is located on the desired
location on the target. Additionally, users of these sights are always
urged to position their eye so that the tip of the post is positioned
precisely in the center of the field of view observed through the rear
sight aperture. This is done in the interest of eliminating parallax shift
between the front sight and target which would lead to uncertainty in
aiming.
But we find that, as we look through such a sight and move our eye
from side to side (with the aiming point of the rifle fixed), we see
essentially no change in the relative position of the tip of the front
sight and the target. The expected effect of parallax shift does not
appear. This suggests that sight alignment, in the traditional sense,
does not affect the point of aim.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

awshucks wrote: Have you ever cupped your hand to make a small hole and then looked at a far away object through it? Try it, makes the object look clearer for some reason.

http://www.bodymindwisdom.com/info_pinholesforwho.html
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote:
awshucks wrote: Have you ever cupped your hand to make a small hole and then looked at a far away object through it? Try it, makes the object look clearer for some reason.
http://www.bodymindwisdom.com/info_pinholesforwho.html
Might have to get a pair! LOL

I often end up having to close one eye in the evening, after a long day of work (and forum viewing! :wink:) ... just to see straight!

From website:

Computer viewing glasses—yes! Many people experience eyestrain from viewing a computer monitor for long periods. This has been given the name "Computer Vision Syndrome" and it expresses itself in problems such as fatigue, headache, dry eyes, eyestrain, blurred vision and double vision. If you are looking for a way to reduce the visual stress of prolonged work at a computer, Pin Hole glasses may offer an optimal solution and at a much lower cost than other options.
Grizz
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

[quote="awshucks]Have you ever cupped your hand to make a small hole and then looked at a far away object through it? Try it, makes the object look clearer for some reason[/quote]

LOL everytime I have done this with someone else is around I end up getting laughed at. Now I have someone who can back me up on this to prove my sanity :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
saxman

Post by saxman »

I guess if you had a small one it would be a little bow peep :D :shock: :roll:
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
lscha

Post by lscha »

Here's something for ya'll to giggle at. I ran a pin through a black plastic lid that snaps on food storage containers. I carry it in my backpack and when I'm in my blind and want to concentrate on a particular spot that isn't quite clear I pull that lid out and look through the pinhole. Crystal clear. :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381