South West Ontario - Needs help...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AAB

South West Ontario - Needs help...

Post by AAB »

I have been trying to hunt deer using a Doghouse ground blind in South West Ontario, near Startford Ontario in the bush behind a friends farm.
I have tried almost all weekends since the opening in October but did not even see a deer yet ( saw some wild turkeys and fox) ...There have been signs all around. I saw alot of deer tracks, some droppings, and the damage to the corn while it was standing. I may have spooked a deer once or twice but still did not see them. My friend who owns the farm saw deer crossing the main road other day while I was in the bush :roll:
I have hunted full days starting at sun rise and leaving at sun set but have had no luck...I have tried everything, rattling and doe bleats with no results. Use scent blocker... :(
There must be something that I am doing wrong...I am really bummed out and looking for advise. I do not know if I keep doing the same thing, how would I be successful...Looking for some feedback. Thank you all...
VixChix

Re: South West Ontario - Needs help...

Post by VixChix »

I've yet to see a deer on the property I'm on. A few years back it was rare NOT to see a deer (at 200-300 yds though... :roll: ).

Last night I was chatting with a friend who hunts a property we jokingly called "Bucks R Us" because it always produces for him. I think the horseshoe must have fallen out of his back pocket this year because he's in the same boat. He says he's never seen a year this poor for deer sightings.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
gogo

Post by gogo »

Not knowing your setup I think moving your blind is in order , are you playing the wind right? When the deer crossed the road where did they head to? If you have fresh tracks they are there, just hang in there don't give up.
barnett

Post by barnett »

Move your stand or tent and try other places. Sounds like your hunting it too hard and the deer know that. Ive done it in the past and its time to switch things up. Take a set of BINO's with you as well as your xbow and do some morning/evening hunts and watch the whole field and bush line and watch where they come out.
If your not first YOUR LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Scout 80% of the time.

Hunt 20% of the time.

Increase odds of killing deer 100%. :idea:
Tully

Post by Tully »

Hey, don't give up. I am in Stratford area as well. It sounds like the deer have you patterned and are avoiding you. It might be wise to change locations/stands and try not to leave too much scent around that way or you'll end up "burning out" your location. Perhaps you could also try using deadfall for a natural blind as well and keep the deer guessing. Obviously there are deer in your bush, and it is just a matter of time... :D
saxman

Post by saxman »

AAB wrote:I have been trying to hunt deer using a Doghouse ground blind in South West Ontario, near Startford Ontario in the bush behind a friends farm.
I have tried almost all weekends since the opening in October but did not even see a deer yet ( saw some wild turkeys and fox) ...There have been signs all around. I saw alot of deer tracks, some droppings, and the damage to the corn while it was standing. I may have spooked a deer once or twice but still did not see them. My friend who owns the farm saw deer crossing the main road other day while I was in the bush :roll:
I have hunted full days starting at sun rise and leaving at sun set but have had no luck...I have tried everything, rattling and doe bleats with no results. Use scent blocker... :(
There must be something that I am doing wrong...I am really bummed out and looking for advise. I do not know if I keep doing the same thing, how would I be successful...Looking for some feedback. Thank you all...
Welcome AAB
I have seen 2 0r 3 deer all season,maybe the same deer.I shot him 11/04
Other than that,no deer sightings.
Don't be afraid to move your set up,just get in and get it done and get out.

Good luck friend.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
bucont

Post by bucont »

Mike P wrote:Scout 80% of the time.

Hunt 20% of the time.

Welcome to the site.
I agree with this 100%. I turkey hunt, shed hunt and squirrel hunt and just for this reason, scouting. This spring while turkey hunting I located a fence crossing the deer use daily. It produced at least 10 sightings in the first month alone.
Last edited by bucont on Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

First WELCOME!! second hunting this past week for our gang was harder this year than the past that I can remember(controlled shotgun) we did manage six hard earned deer for ten hunters and we did not see deer on the last two days some factors that I think are a reason is corn still up on the fields and lack of cold weather(snow)not sure about the herd numbers may be down also I guess we won't know until next year with the MNR harvest results but I typicilly see 10 to 20 animals on these hunts in this WMU and usually get one into shotgun range but not this year :shock:
The best things in life are not things!!
AAB

Post by AAB »

Thank you all for your tips/feedback and positive re-inforcement. I will move my blind location and try different options...looking forward to share the good news of my success with you all soon!!! :)
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Mike P wrote:Scout 80% of the time.

Hunt 20% of the time.

I agree with this 100% :D

This statement is also very true, based on your situation. A ground blind set-up in the wrong location will not produce any deer sightings or shot opportunities. A treestand in the wrong location may allow you to see deer, but not in shooting range.

It sounds like you need to do more homework. Find out where they are sleeping and where they are feeding. If you choose to hunt mornings, stealth is VERY important, especially if you're set up in an area where the deer feed or have to pass through that area on your way to your blind. After many years of hunting the odd morning, I don't hunt any now, because I have pushed far too many deer. If hunting a morning, be set up in a location the deer travel from their feeding area to their bedding area. If hunting in the afternoon, be set up on the travel route from the bedding area to the feeding area or in a location that is right for the wind off of the feeding area.

Next season, be out there early looking for rub lines and scrapes. However, don't be overzealous. Only frequent an area every so often or the deer will have you patterned before the season even starts (this is where a scouting camera comes in handy). You can also glass from a distance. Get out there early in the morning or in the evening and put that set of binos to your eyes and find out where the deer are coming out.