Taking some weight off the bow.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Taking some weight off the bow.

Post by Pydpiper »

My own fault for adding stuff in the first place, I know. I really enjoy having some of the products our members make, they come on and off depending on each hunt, but now, after some custom work by the guys making them I have reduced the weigh so significantly I no longer need to concern myself with the the additions.
The Groundpounder mount, I couldn't imagine not having one. The balance it adds is amazing, keeps everything true to the center of gravity on the bow. Also keeps things more symmetrical, a pet peeve of mine.
I wanted one for my wife, she isn't exactly a brute of a woman so I knew the only choice I had was to lighten it up, after a few emails between Groundpounder and I, he came up with a lightweight alternative. He made it clear that he didn't want to make one of these because it will be weak, and also made it clear that he was not willing to produce them again.
Newguy made me some uprights, a bit thinner than the originals, I needed something compatible with the NGSS, that also came to me lighter than the average system.
Here are some pictures, the brown are my original GP mount, awesome in every way, but too intimidating for the wife to want. The black set is The results of Groundpounder and Newguy, the plate is the work of Groundpounder.

I have no ability to work with steel, or aluminum, it sure is nice to have access to a couple guys who know how to turn a block in to a work of art!
I spent most of Friday afternoon on the phone with suppliers, machinists, manufactures to see if I was doing the right thing. I started with some of the names that are mentioned a lot here, Danny Miller, David at Wyvern Creations (a great guy to talk to!) and a rep from STS. I learned lots and am confident the minor weight added will prove to be more of a benefit than a hindrance.
Bottom line, once I got everything on the scales it turned out I got all this stuff added at a little less weight than 2 arrows!
Swapping the quiver off my wife's bow was no easy task, and I have to admit that the Groundpounder makes the bow look heavy, when in fact it does not. The balance that is gained more than makes up for the tiny addition of weight.
Jenn's bow has had the very light version of the NGSS on it since the first time she handled it, it came like that to her . When I tried to convince her to try the GP mount she simply said no, she was happy the way it was. When my package showed up with my new, thin plates I asked her if she would notice "this" much extra weight. When she took the envelope she hefted it and said, "sure, that's not bad", ironically there were two in that envelope. :D
So after it was all said and done, those capable of helping did and I ended up with adding two great products to my bow with what I would consider "unnoticeable" amount of weight. Matter of fact, the NGSS and GP light version weigh less than the addition of a STS. I am a pretty happy guy, used the best of resources and managed to add toys to my gear without adding weight.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Dereck

Re: Taking some weight off the bow.

Post by Dereck »

Looks very nice I like the reduced size better as well and have a Munch "Y" lite in my Vortex.But still have the regular posts.
Tenpoint Matrix
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Very clever . . .less costs more. I've finally came to grips with that, still don't like it . . .just a fact of life. :shock: :D

Looks like somebody took some weight off our little "shock" figure too. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Normous

Post by Normous »

I agree, it is nice to have guys like that here who can customize strings, mounts, dampers to assist us with some special and unique requests. I know the feeling when something shows up in the mail and you know already that its right and light.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
saxman

Post by saxman »

Looks good.
I like the smaller version.
Been toying with weight reduction also.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

That looks absolutely fantastic Piper!

The innovation of the forum members here has always amazed me.

Anything that reduces the weight is great.

Having dealt with Groundpounder and NewGuy in the past I have no doubt as to the quality of their work. The fact that they are both great guys only enhanced my purchases from both.

Now the big question! Is this a production run of just the two for you and Jenn or are we going to be able to purchase this package for our Excaliburs? :?:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Mike P wrote:Now the big question! Is this a production run of just the two for you and Jenn or are we going to be able to purchase this package for our Excaliburs? :?:
Todd made it very clear that he did not want to make them like this again, in his eyes they are too weak and may present a problem down the road. He has had concerns in the past with his current model "flexing", someone managed to flex that plate, beyond me how, it of course flexed right back when the pressure was removed.
He did however mention that he is considering reducing the overall weight in the future.
I assured Todd I would stress that he wasn't going to be making these o request when I posted the pictures, at that time it seemed important to him.
I love it! I think it looks great too!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Mike P wrote:
Now the big question! Is this a production run of just the two for you and Jenn or are we going to be able to purchase this package for our Excaliburs?
No Mike, not a production run. I want my mounts to be as failsafe as possible. It was a good fun project making the mounts for David. And I'll say I'm usually up for the challenge to custom something for anyone if I have the time and materials. But to make this thinner mount production I feel it is too likely to accidentally get bent. I've looked at some other ways of lightening up the mounts some but without compromising my mounts stability it would be more expensive to make and I'm not wanting to pass that cost on to the purchaser. I am always looking and thinking though :wink:
Why ride when you can walk!
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

Dr. keeps telling me to take some weight off, but alas so far it hasn't happened :cry:
the dumpy old fart jim :cry:
time in the woods is time well spent
munch

Post by munch »

dave did you not see the delron post i make they are much less weight than alum. i have them on my exomag and have had no prob. with them i have been told they should absorb shock better than alum.you can not powder coat them but i'm looking into shrink tube as a rubber coating on them incase your arrow bangs them it will make less noise. also if you want a better mount you can make them from t61 alum. witch is more expensive but it will not retain a memory witch means if it flexes it will return to the shape and not stay bent.if you have a prob. with your new mount bending and want to try one from this t61 draw a pic of what you want and i will have it put on autocad and cut at my cost munch.
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook