Three Hunts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Three Hunts

Post by Mike P »

Please note: This piece was written on December 5, 2009

Three Hunts

That's all that are left. The evening hunt tonight, the morning and afternoon hunt tomorrow. When the sun sets tomorrow night, so will the Ohio deer gun season. And for me, it's not a minute too soon.

In about a half hour from now I will take out one of the tricked out club cars and start retrieving hunters. Doc has tractor duty and will start picking up the harvested deer with the front loader. Shrader is cooking breakfast for twelve. And Becker is out in his blind with his two largest clients. Doe'sAreUs is functioning at full capacity. And I think to myself "When did this stop being fun?"

It was in the beginning. It was kind of cool running a quasi hunting resort for a week. It was fun being host to friends and business associates. But it changed over the years. The friends became fewer. The business associates became greater. We saw it happening but were reluctant to reverse the trend. We wanted the money. And when we took it, we lost the fun.

All of us funded this place heavily for over a decade. At times it seemed just crazy throwing the money at the farm year after year with no end in sight. But we reached a point where the place stands on its own and covers all expenses. Those guys I am going to retrieve in a short while from the ground blinds are part of the reason this place earns its keep. That and the indentured servitude of the four co-owners who supply free labor for nine days during the gun season.

Twenty after ten here this morning and it is time to make my rounds. Doc is already off on the tractor and the smell of bacon fills the farm house. One more day to go.

It will be nice to get back to the 358 days that are ours.
Last edited by Mike P on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
saxman

Re: Three Hunts

Post by saxman »

Thats great that you let folks come and shoot doe's but you are right.
Hunting can be hard work.

You can smell the bacon and see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Get some rest :D
I will be hunting through Feb.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Re: Three Hunts

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote: Doe'sAreUs is functioning at full capacity. And I think to myself "When did this stop being fun?"
Everything has a price, Mike.

You had to pay, 'cause you wanted to play.

Now, buck up and get with it! :P :wink:
Grizz