Remote switch for laser range finder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fishbait

Remote switch for laser range finder

Post by fishbait »

Does anybody have experience installing remote switchs on laser range finders. I have done a couple of Bushnells so far but now I'm wanting to try this on a higher quality unit like a Leupold or Leica.Sure would be nice if somebody could tell me what I'm going to encounter before I tear into it.
If it breaks replace it with a bigger piece of steel
Pydpiper

Re: Remote switch for laser range finder

Post by Pydpiper »

A wire is a wire, if you can solder one you can solder the other. Are you looking for help determining contact points?
The circuit board in a dollar store toy requires the same soldering techinque as the best of electronics, it either takes or it doesn't.
In some rangefinders and other soft touch buttons you have to watch for a 2 stage switch, if it does one function with a gentle push and another function with a full contact then you have to look deeper in the board to find your switch point.
To answer your question, the only difference between adding a switch to a Leica or a Bushnell is the cost of replacement if you make a mistake. I would say that if you did a couple Bushnells then a Leica will be a walk in the park. Good luck! Make sure to post pictures.
Here is mine.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
fishbait

Post by fishbait »

That looks like a really good job.What kind of range finer is that. The bushnells use ribbon connectors with alimumun wire with their switches so it's a real pain tearing into them. The switch in your picture looks like one that comes with a laser. Does it make a real loud click when depressed.
If it breaks replace it with a bigger piece of steel
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

fishbait wrote:That looks like a really good job.What kind of range finer is that. The bushnells use ribbon connectors with alimumun wire with their switches so it's a real pain tearing into them. The switch in your picture looks like one that comes with a laser. Does it make a real loud click when depressed.
They do use ribbon, but if you walk it back a few steps through the circuit you will find yourself on the board with a standard joint.
That switch is from a laser or flashlight remote, I paid $6 for it at a gun show, it is silent, not a peep.
The rangefinder is a bottom of the barrel Bushnell 450.

My first attempt I fried the ribbon in the 450, made a jumper and just tapped in to that, that insured I could use the remote switch or the one mounted on the RF body, sometimes with gloves it is nice to have options. :)
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thats pretty slick.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot