Warm boots?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crispy

Warm boots?

Post by Crispy »

After seeing several nice bucks just out of bow range, I had high hopes for rifle season. The bucks seemed to have vanished (not even on the trail cam). So I'll be taking the vortex out in the late season and need a warmer boot. My father and I used to use Rocky 800 gram boots but the soles dry rotted and crumbled on both pairs. Been using my sons 800 gram cabelas boots that are to small for extra socks, but are nice in the early season. Looking for a good reliable boot with 1000 grams or more. I never was a fan of the pac boots or have any experience with the rubber boots (heard they can be a bugger to get off). The Cabelas Artic bruins look nice with 1400 grams. Thought I'd ask the people here and see what you use, knowing alot of you hunt in colder weather than we have in Pa. Thanks
Crispy
BUS314

Re: Warm boots?

Post by BUS314 »

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... G%26um%3D1

I've used these ever since my feet nerves wen south on me---not for walking, lol, but very warm on stand , just slip em on over whatever ya wear.

Last edited by BUS314 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Yesterday was cold, I had on a pair of very nice Muck boots, rated to -40, it certainly wasn't -40 and my feet were absolutly freezing! Don't buy Mucks for their thermal properties.
I also have a good pair of Rockey boots, 800 Grams, they let my feet get cold too.
My buddy that I was hunting with had on a pair of Nokia rubber boots, his feet stayed warm throughout the whole day, I trust his opinion, they are my next boots.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

I just ordered a pair of those boot blankets shown in the above picture. Haven't got them yet but according to the reviews they seem to work if your stand hunting. There on sale from Cabela's for $29 USD. Get them while you can.

I have a pair of Rocky 800 gm boots and after being in the stand for a couple hours my feet get uncomfortably cold, painful. I've tried electric socks which are a waste of time, pure wool socks which seem to help to a degree. The Rocky's are no better then my 18 year old Browning boots @200gm thinsulate. The Browning's were the best buy. Back then I paid $260CDN and I still wear them and there still waterproof.

I think the boot blankets are your last line of defense.
gogo

Post by gogo »

The cold doesn't bother anybody more then it does me.I wear snowmobile boots the ones with the felt liners one size bigger then normal. My feet stay nice and warm no matter how cold it is. Just for info purposes the booties that go over your regular boots recommend using heat pads in very cold weather. My two cents worth.
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Whatever boots you buy make sure they are one or two size larger. Tight boots equal cold feet.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

That is one or two size larger than your shoe size.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Isis

Post by Isis »

I suffer from cold feet even in the house sometimes. I tried those boot blankets from Cabelas. They worked to a point. I now have a pair of Baffin boots with liners. the liners have some type of space age material that keeps the heat in. They are good to -70, and surprisingly light. I always put them on at home, this way the heat builds up in them really good. If you have a bit of a walk they are really toasty when you reach you spot and the heat last along time.
saxman

Post by saxman »

What works for one may not work for another.
I have Neuropathy in my feet and legs and have lost most of the feeling in my feet.
They still get cold,Very cold,even in Florida.
I think my boots cut off my circulation (what little I have left)
When I take my boots off and let the sweat evaporate from my socks then put them in the boot blankets with a heat pack it works for ME.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I was out yesterday for a bit too - until the end of legal light. My hands and upper body got cold, but my feet were pretty good. I'd layered a pair of good wool socks over a regular pair of polyester/acrylic (or something like that) blend socks for moisture wicking. I wore regular medium weight fall/winter boots and was fine. My "magic ingredient" is a special pair of insoles....

http://www.polarwrap.com/default.aspx?p ... d=37&show=

Since I've put these insoles in my boots I've been MUCH more comfortable in the cold. They really do work as advertised.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
roly

Post by roly »

My feet get cold just thinking about going out any more

I have spent a small fortune on boots

The only boots that work for me are Lacrosse Ice Kings

Not real good for walking but keep my feet very warm.

If you suffer from cold feet, worth a try. JMO.
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Warmth and walking comfort are hard to get in one boot. I've found a couple that do work. Kennetrek "Northern" has insulation built into the sole of the boot and a felt liner. They are super comfortable and very warm, but a bit heavy. Only downside is they are not sized to wear without the liner.

The other is the Muck Woody Elite. These babies are great!! Comfortable fit and nice and warm. When it's cold, I sit my boots on top of the heat vent in the utility room the night before I go hunting. When you start out with warm boots and warm feet, they tend to stay that way.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D I still think the best boot ever made was the Sorels meant for -100 . Even though they are big and cumbersome to walk great distances . They flat out are warm !!! :D
But that being said your boots are only as good as your DRY sock combination .The boot insoles also have to be dried out each evening . A couple of years ago went for a deer hunt out in Saskatchewan . It warmed up to -25 C but everyone in the camp would dry their boots . Another trick that they used out there was inside the blind they had spread straw :shock: .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

2000 gram Georgia boots with wool socks will keep you sitting for a couple hours in - weather. The boot Blankets are also worth the money, they work great over the boots as long as most of the snow is off. Keeping heat in is the answer when sitting still....
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Vix Chix wrote: My "magic ingredient" is a special pair of insoles....

http://www.polarwrap.com/default.aspx?p ... d=37&show=

Since I've put these insoles in my boots I've been MUCH more comfortable in the cold. They really do work as advertised.
I took heed of the post you made last year about your "secret". My feet have not been cold this winter. Thanks Vix.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire