Todays Adventure

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

groundpounder

Todays Adventure

Post by groundpounder »

I broke out the crossbow again to head to a private tract in Georgias Fulton County this morning. It was a foggy drizzly morning and it was just what the deer needed. I had three does slip in on me at 8:30 this morning. I sist on the ground and they where on me before I knew it. I got busted pretty quick when I was trying to slip the glove off of my trigger finger hand. It was two yearlings up front with Mama following up the rear. I had a downed tree in front of me so all they could see was chest up on me and I already had my crossbow propped up pointed their way on that tree. While the two little ones where trying to figure me out Mama was stepping up to take a look. I was already busted so went ahead and slowly leaned into the scope to get sighted in. While I'm looking through the scope the two little ones took off while mama continued to step into place. When she was clear and broadside I guessed the shot at 30 yards and let a bolt fly. I didn't see her take a step until I heard the hit and when she turned to run I saw my blaze orange wrap sticking from the shoulder. Looked like a great hit. I waited 40 minutes and walked off the shot. 32 yards. And within a couple of steps I found the front 6 inches and rear 3 inches of my bolt. Both ends sheared off when she started her run. It was about 20 yards before I really started finding blood but it was good blood. Along her path I could see where it was coming out of both sides of the animal. I tracked her zig zagging up the ridge which I found unusual and tracked good blood for probably 200 yards :shock: I really would not have thought she could have made it that far! Then the blood just disappeared :( . I grid patterned, walked big circles, checked for the deer backtracking, and even got on hands and knees looking for that next drop of blood but never could find it :x . I also had my friend helping me in the search to no deer. I took pictures along my hunt just knowing it was going to be a good ending but sad to say it wasn't. The first pic is of my sight picture of where the deer were standing. The second pic is of where I was sitting. The third pic is of my broken bolt. The fourth is of some good blood along the way. And the last is of one of the largest rubbed cedar trees I have ever found. It just had a pile of fresh shavings at the base of the tree. I wish I had a pic of the harvest but it did not happen. I know the deer has to be down but if it is it is on bordering property.
Attachments
PC140012.JPG
PC140012.JPG (106.28 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
PC140010.JPG
PC140010.JPG (135.75 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
PC140008.JPG
PC140008.JPG (134.19 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
Why ride when you can walk!
groundpounder

Re: Todays Adventure

Post by groundpounder »

It would only allow me to add 3 pics per posting so here are the other two. It messed up their order I wanted too but here they are.
Attachments
PC140025.JPG
PC140025.JPG (148.23 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
PC140013.JPG
PC140013.JPG (149.64 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

You'll find her, looks like clean kill and a great hunt!
I like that quiver mount on your bow, if you need a lighter one let me know, I have connections. :wink:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
maple

Post by maple »

Tough, tough, tough animals. It never ceases to amaze me.

With blood like that she is down somewhere. Good luck in finding her.

Maple
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Really hope you find it. Looks like it should be down.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Hope yor find it. Realy hurts to lose one.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'll vote for your finding her, too!

Hope you do! :)
Grizz
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I hope you find her gp!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Unfortunately today was using up my last vacation day for the year and its back to work tomorrow. Today might have been my last day out for the season. Not a good way to end things and its always horrible to lose one, especially when you know it has to be down. I did get two does on rifle hunts earlier in the season so I do have meat in the freezer. Sure would have liked to had this one more though.
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Nice hunting spot! Hope you can find her.
Crispy
fishbait

Post by fishbait »

Watch the crows, they have helped me find many a deer.
If it breaks replace it with a bigger piece of steel
saxman

Post by saxman »

Looked like good blood.Shell be down somewhere.
Always hate to lose one,it happens.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011