coyote hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pink Panther

coyote hunting

Post by Pink Panther »

thinking about getting into thinning out the predtors inthis area they are messing up my hunting spots. what are good calls to get them close for cross bows
lscha

Re: coyote hunting

Post by lscha »

I learned alot from the Predator Master's forum. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo ... d=1&page=1

but I live in Michigan and check the Michigan Predator's forum now and then. They have a couple of DVD's that are helpful too.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

thank you ischa for the information, had a peek at site lots of good stuff .coyotes around at night ,ruined a lot of hunts :oops: payback will be sweet.
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Kill all of those buggers!
They can be slose enough to kill with the crossbow!
I killed one with the crossbow in October at 30 yards and missed one last week at approx 50 yards,no excuses though,it was a shot I should have made,but he got wind of me!
Good luck in thining out the yotes1
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

Problem is, in your neck of the woods pink panther, you can only take two wolves or coyotes (at $9 apiece for tags, plus your small game license, of course).
Gotta protect those "special" wolves in Algonquin Park, dontcha know! :twisted:
Even though the MNR's own biologist has confirmed the wolves in Algonquin are nothing special and the hunting ban and restrictions around the park are unnecessary, it will likely be a long time before we'll see any changes in the regulations.
Hope you are able to thin the population by your two-coyote limit.
Jerry
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Norlander wrote:Problem is, in your neck of the woods pink panther, you can only take two wolves or coyotes (at $9 apiece for tags, plus your small game license, of course).
Gotta protect those "special" wolves in Algonquin Park, dontcha know! :twisted:
Even though the MNR's own biologist has confirmed the wolves in Algonquin are nothing special and the hunting ban and restrictions around the park are unnecessary, it will likely be a long time before we'll see any changes in the regulations.
Hope you are able to thin the population by your two-coyote limit.
Jerry
That's the way to rain on the parade!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

two coyotes this year , two next year ,get a couple more hunters involed you get the picture. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

The more the merrier, PP. I'm in WMU 60 (Wildlife Management Unit for our southern friends) where there are no restrictions on coyote hunting, but my hunt camp is in WMU 56. Deer numbers were noticeably down and we heard coyote packs almost every day during the rifle season.
You shouldn't have much trouble rounding up some coyote hunters to help you in your quest.
Good luck and give 'em hell.
Jerry
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

im my area ...i had 3 sightings this past year and lots of tracks ....many others with reported sightings as well and had one deer that had been left overnight in the bush to be found the next day chewed by coyotes .... they could develope into a problem for sure ....not sure how i will do with the bow but will give it a shot or two for sure .. only allowed 2 tags in my area and no party hunting ...grrr...been watching predator quest on the wild network and i think i'm ready lol...
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Pink Panther wrote:thinking about getting into thinning out the predtors inthis area they are messing up my hunting spots. what are good calls to get them close for cross bows
I use 2 callers, a rabbit in distres and a "squeeker". I actually carry two of each, a fresh set in a ziplock bag in case one freezes up.
A rabbit in distress will bring them in from a long, long ways, a squeeker will keep their attention as they get closer. My squeeker is out of an old kids toy, a quarter sized bubble with a tiny reed, I have 2 of those too, one is cut open so I can use it in my mouth, the other is sealed and produces sound when squeezed, very similar to the sound you get from a dog toy.
If your set up is good you will only need the distress call, just be ready for them to circle you. The other thing is to use a decoy, it will do two things, one is to keep the eyes off the shooter, and if used right you can also use it to control how wide the coyote circles, if he as his "eye on the prize" he will only circle enough to deek the decoy. I will often choose or make my set up based on that.
Always be prepared for a second dog, tougher with a crossbow, not only loading the second arrow but the coyote will often run yelping.. I have shot my share, only one was intentionally hunted with a crossbow, the rest were just in the wrong spot at the wrong time.
Solunar tables and coyotes go hand in hand, may be worth keeping an eye on. They move around lots in crappy weather, and with lots of snow on the ground it can be easier to scout them. If there is no snow be there when crops come off, within 24 hours or less. You will see them scrounging for mice that were stirred up, it is a short lived advantage though.
Awesome eyesight, awesome hearing, awesome sense of smell combined in an animal that is already edgy, you have your work cut out for you! Have fun and make some dead!
Be careful! I got in a wresteling match with one once, it wasn't pretty.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I too am interested in coyote hunting this winter. It seems that everyone who does hunt them use high powered small caliber rifles / rounds. Do I need a new rifle or will a .308 do the job? It's sighted right now with 180 gr ammo but I could try finding 120s or 100s. If the 308 is too much rifle, then what should I be looking for? .243? 22-250?
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Phoenix_Tom wrote:I too am interested in coyote hunting this winter. It seems that everyone who does hunt them use high powered small caliber rifles / rounds. Do I need a new rifle or will a .308 do the job? It's sighted right now with 180 gr ammo but I could try finding 120s or 100s. If the 308 is too much rifle, then what should I be looking for? .243? 22-250?
A few guys hunt with the intention of keeping the pelt, that is where a small, fast bullet excels, if your goal is to simply turn a live coyote in to a dead one, a 308 will certainly get the job done!
Where I live and hunt we are not able to legally use a .308, but that isn't why I chose a varmint caliber for varmint hunting. I loved the speed of the 22-250, problem around here is that it is unnessasarily noisy and prone to riccochet. My area is composed of smaller parels of land where you would be hard pressed to get a safe 400+ yard shot, so I chose a faster, smaller caliber, a .204.
A .204 will do everything a 22-250 will inside of 350 yards, quieter, faster, flatter, no riccochet, no recoil, and a lot less gun powder being burnt. If I was shooing 400+ I would look in to a different caliber though. If you can hunt with a .308 and you are taking long shots with no fear of a bouncing bullet you are a fortunate man! Not having recoil has it's benifits though, watching the moment of impact has it's highlights too.
I have hunted them with bows of every variety, .17Rem, .17HMR, .204, 22-250, 220 Swift (awesome round!!), shotgun, dedicated slug gun and a folding knife, I will choose the .204 over anything, nothing gets up after that hit, the farmland in the background is also safe in the event of a miss.
And to answer your question, do you need a new rifle, the answer is yes, everyone does. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

thanks pydpiper for the info on coyotes, i dont have a rifle at this time , got out of hunting for quite awhile let my paper work expire have to go write again so i can buy a coyote gun :D . for now the cross bow will do . have coyotes less than 300 yards away last night from where i hunt have a big shed to hide in the front of shed there is big open area where have seen tracks last week or so going to set up there and see what happens . just getting my stuff rounded up to make a caller , that all for now i finger typeing sucks. thanks paul.
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

Does anyone know the largest caliber that can be used for coyote hunting in southern Ontario ( W M. 89 B. ) ? Ray.
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

xbhntr wrote:Does anyone know the largest caliber that can be used for coyote hunting in southern Ontario ( W M. 89 B. ) ? Ray.
I believe the largest would be a 270 win.....

At this time of year I always consider carrying a rifle with me on stand with the Phoenix. Never know when you have an opportunity at one..
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release