1-0 for big buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bullfood

1-0 for big buck

Post by bullfood »

Went to my ground blind at 1100. 1230 large doe at 25yd . Held off. 2 fawns appear 5 min later. Both apparently hers and both very good size. 1 of the fawns presents a shot at 20yd and I pass. Doe blows gently 2x and all 3 leave but not alarmed. Nice to watch them feed for 50 min. We have corn all in the area and the deer ate buds off a fragrant sumach.
30 mins later the big boy comes through the bush on the doe's trail. He holds up at 60 and looks directly at me. I wait till he looks other way and pull down my mask. He moves slowly toward me stopping and staring in my direction. My heart is pounding and I'm trying not breathe to loudly but at 50yds he turns broadside and again looks right at me as if he heard my breathing. As I watch him I see that his rack is well past his ears and very tall. Couldn"t be certain but he looked to be a nice typical 8pt with g2s at least 8". This buck wasn't taking any chances. After another 10 mins of staring he just left the area.
I must point out that I take extreme care to be scent free and silent but this guy seemed to have super senses. I guess that's why they get so big.
I can only hope I didn't blow him out the area and I will return to my stand on Sunday and maybe fill 1 of our remaining 2 tags.
exocet 175
varizone
Flemish Dyna Flight
Fire bolts
150 gr bolt cutters
vixenmaster

Re: 1-0 for big buck

Post by vixenmaster »

Could he see you well ? Or did you have limbs & other cover between you ? If he saw you as in clothing UV showing he will always look fer the blob in that area
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bullfood

Post by bullfood »

There were limbs further out from my blind but not up close to it. I think I'll change that. I was in a Doghouse style blind and didn't think they could see anything inside althought those triangular windows are (too) large.
exocet 175
varizone
Flemish Dyna Flight
Fire bolts
150 gr bolt cutters
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Better to have seen and lost than not to have seen at all.
Some times our harvest is a video we can play in our mind.
The limitations of archery tackle make our sucsess all the sweeter.
Thanks for the post.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

they can pick you out very well in a blind. It helps if you wear black. I dont hunt from blinds anymore since the deer always know something is there no matter how well I brush it in and how early I put it out.

if he saw you, I wouldnt hunt that same spot. He will avoid it or definitly be looking for you there the next time he steps out.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

CF is right, i didn't know you were in a ground blind. Keep all windows but yer shooting window closed wear black as he said. He will forever look inside the blind now. I put mine out 3 weeks ago & they stopped using the trail. I have it in a great crossing & will leave it out til it falls apart.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
saxman

Post by saxman »

Don't open the large window,just the small one.Wear Black,face,hands,everything.
How long has the blind been there?

Sounds like a great encounter all the same.
Good luck friend
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011