To Those of Us Born between1930 - 1979

Post by ComfyBear »

Here's to US!!!!

No matter what our kids and the new generation think about us,

WE ARE AWESOME !!!!
OUR LIFE IS LIVING PROOF !!!!

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.

And, we weren't overweight.. WHY?

Because we were always outside playing....that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on..

No one was able to reach us all day.. And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS

and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping pong paddles, or just a bare hand and no one would call child services to report abuse..

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment..
Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ? :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
axis

Re: To Those of Us Born between1930 - 1979

Post by axis »

Those were the best days ever. :wink: :lol:

Axis
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

Those , were, the good ole days! and yes most of us survived it quiet well!
thanks philip
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

that was a great reminder thanks .
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

great post comfy. I think one point needs to be made though. Your words very accurately describe my childhood but I grew up in the 80s and 90s, the difference is I am in the minority within my generation. The way I see it, you guys had it easy (as if there was such a thing) because everyone grew up that way. I can't tell you how hard it was to find other kids to build things with or shoot bb guns, or see what kind of critters live in each and every body of water within biking distance. I firmly believe great things will come from the younger generations, just from fewer people within them.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
roly

Post by roly »

Wow! I just had a total flash back of my childhood :)

I can remember running all the way home, trying to beat the street lights.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

ComfyBear I have not read the replies to this GREAT post of yous as yet, but man truer words have not been spoken!!

That's the problem, too much bull like xbox, Ipods, computers, and no punishment to bad behaving children when deserved with out fear of being put in the slammer for child abuse :evil:

Nothing against aboxs, Ipods, cell phones, TV, it's just this generation of young think everything needs to be handed to them, and they would disappear off the face of the earth with out the electronics, and understanding whats right from wrong!! Fact is they probably would be totally lost!!

With that being stated..... their are some GREAT YOUNG boys and girls out there that do understand and will lead the next generation to better things :D I have faith in that.... :wink:

GaryL .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Gee some how i missed all of that! Oh yeah now i remember why. Being from Melmac a small planet far from earth living consisted of chasing catching & eating cats, :lol: ALF me up please
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
lscha

Post by lscha »

I loved your post. I did all those things from the go carts to falling out of trees. I don't know how I survived swimming unsupervised a mile from home whenever I wanted to at 12 years old. We got dropped off at the show on some Saturdays and I think if I ever got kidnapped they would have just brought me back :lol:

I feel sorry for the kids who don't know how to carve a large knife from a sapling or look in sunken bottles and jars for red mud puppies under water in the county ditch.

And I also never dared to act up in school because I didn't want my folks to hear about it. :D
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
the elf

Post by the elf »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-----------THE GOOD OLD DAYS

WASN'T it fun--------I am 1942 vintage. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Back in the days when this was "AMERICA" Excellent post, it does bring back memories.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Great Post ! Those were the good old days indeed... capture the flag, kick the can :wink: :lol:

Something I see all the time and I still shake my head at is ..... A little rain or snow and the streets around schools are lined up with cars with parents picking up their children.... I mean, lets not let the children get a little wet, they might melt... or maybe it's the kids demanding that the parents pick them up when the weather is bad.... damn I never got a ride to school, rain, snow , ice, hail, wind ... we WALKED... ever hear of boots, rain coat or a umberella ? :roll: and I won't even get started on disciplining children or the CAS ( Childrens Aid Society in Canada) they are just evil . :evil: The biggest thing missing in todays society is respect and consideration for your fellow man... sadly I feel that today , we are living within a very selfish society. :roll: :(

I also agree with Gary L's comments.
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Thanks for posting that Comfy. I'm a 1951 vintage and loved every minute of my younger days. Ay memories. 8) :)
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

Me and my 3 older sisters and older brother qualify. " Making due with what you got " was the theme of that era. Ray ( 1949 ).
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Yup they were the good old days :)
Elders were refered to by " Mister or Misses " so in so .
The strap was a deterent , doesn`t mean we didn`t get into trouble .We just knew there was repercussions for our actions . :)
We were failed in school if we did not meet the standard for that grade . Not pushed through !!!
We could take off with a sandwich for the day and make forts back in the back 40 and nothing was thought of it . We didn`t have street lights for the come home , mom would send the dog to retreive us. :D
When you went to the hospital emergency it was because you were truely hurt not just the sniffles .
We could actually ride our bikes to school 5 miles and nothing was even thought of it .
Last but not least we knew not to phone or knock on the door of friends during supper . I wish the telephone sales people had remembered that lesson . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus