portable heaters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

portable heaters

Post by gogo »

Did I read where a few hunters use heaters in their ground blinds, if so what kind and doesn't it effect the deer? Smells, fumes how does the deer react?
lscha

Re: portable heaters

Post by lscha »

I always use the Buddy heater in my blinds on really cold days. I have never seen a deer react to the slight hissing sound or smell. I have to tell you that after I got my deer I let a friend use my blind. The same spot it had been all season. He spotted a buck about 100 yards away on a ridge heading for his area then lost sight of it. He waited. He was arranging his gun to be ready to shoot when he looked up and that buck had his nose INSIDE the blind (Double Bull). He nearly fainted.
Not saying that smart old trophy bucks would ever do this but I don't believe the heater's scent would be any worse than regular human scent.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Ischa;
Maybe he was just wondering where you went. :wink:
gogo

Post by gogo »

agingcrossbower you got me lost don't know what the reply to Ischa meant.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

gogo wrote:agingcrossbower you got me lost don't know what the reply to Ischa meant.
Well, its her stand is'nt it. All I meant was that the buck maybe was surprised not to see her there. Just making small talk that's all. :? Is there something wrong with what I said or is there something wrong with you. :?:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yo there are several good small propane heaters out there that work great. I have put to use my cabin's 10,000 BTU & it has a built in thermostat. I had to built a wooden rack fer it to fasten on like a wall & have a safety cut off valve plus a 20 lb bottle in ground blind. The pilot light stays on & it then the heating comes on & off as heat is needed. Heck i didn't have another $70 to buy a Mr. Heater. Maul-mart has one fer $30 that you connect to bottle like mine its bound to work ok. Don't knowed what a deer hears or smells as i haven't saw the 1st deer yet when i have been in the blind. Its not like the deer don't come thru there as my climber is 55 yds north of blind & i took 3 deer out of it.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

agingcrossbower wrote:
gogo wrote:agingcrossbower you got me lost don't know what the reply to Ischa meant.
Well, its her stand is'nt it. All I meant was that the buck maybe was surprised not to see her there. Just making small talk that's all. :? Is there something wrong with what I said or is there something wrong with you. :?:
LOL
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a Coleman "Black Cat" heater in my blind and it doesn't seem to affect deer movement at all. It is fairly quiet and puts out 3000 BTU - not enough to heat the blind, but enough to keep it bearable in below freezing weather.
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

wabi wrote:I have a Coleman "Black Cat" heater in my blind and it doesn't seem to affect deer movement at all. It is fairly quiet and puts out 3000 BTU - not enough to heat the blind, but enough to keep it bearable in below freezing weather.

I have 2 of the same
For down here they are great
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've used the same as Wabi's - although its been a few years now. I found they made it a but more comfortable, but I wouldn't say it was warm in the blind.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Buddy Heater, safest and best heat .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Tom

Post by Tom »

bstout wrote:Human BO is the #1 smell that will send them sailing. Other foreign odors (smells that aren't normally there) can make them feel uneasy but human scent sends them running.... full tilt boogie...every time!!!
I agree fully. A few years ago I was involved in a study with deer attractants (with trail cameras). New scents would just about always attract deer to investigate. Once the deer would see that the smell was not danger nor food or another deer, then they would just ignore it. The scents would always be placed just off a trail so that the deer would have to come to it. Remember that if a smell is associated with danger, then deer will take flight, if not then they will become a little uneasy or inquisitive.

Another thing to remember which is a benefit when using portable heaters is just that .....The Heat Factor. Heat will rise so the greater difference between heat inside the blind and the cold outside means a faster rise in the heat. The faster the heat and your body odor rises means the less chance the deer will get to smell you at ground level.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]