Awaiting my Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

Awaiting my Equinox

Post by gerald strine »

I have been a forum member now for a little over a month but I have never owned a xbow before. Well Thursday I ordered a Equinox with lumizone package .
The dealer only had veryzone scopes on hand but no lumizone,the lumizones were all ready orderd and the whole order will ship when he can swap out the scopes.
Of course I feel like a kid waiting for christmass to get here.
The dealer I bought from says there will be a 13% price increase for 2010 has anyone else herd this ( U.S.A delear)
It is going to be a long wait till The Michigan bow opener Oct 1st but I will have plenty of time to get familer with my new tool for deer harvesting.
Any helpfull set up tips I need to know about?
I felt guilty not buying a U.S. bow with our econamy in the dumps but I wanted a recurve bow and felt that the Excaliburs were the way to go.
I really enjoy the forum and now I even own a Crossbow.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Re: Awaiting my Equinox

Post by Boo »

Here's one. Get a back up string(endless loop Dacron like the one that comes with the bow) and make sure both strings have a black serving.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congrats on the new bow!
The tip I would give is to take time to watch the video that should come with the bow (I think a CD is included). Understand how to use it before you use it and things will go a bit more smoothly. :wink:
wabi
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I learned from a member on here and have used this and still do. take two pieces of masking tape and put one on each limb in the middle of the limb. then on the one write ARROW and on the other write SAFETY. i did this after i dry fired and everytime i look at the bow, when cocking and before i look through the scope this reminds me to double check. get some Daltons string wax and like said before watch the videos and try to uncock the bow with the string aid, its very easy to do.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

My tip is when uncocking the crossbow make darn sure there is not a bolt (arrow) loaded on the rail with your foot in the stirrup. :D :D :D
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
roly

Post by roly »

Try Using the 150 gr FP and BH that comes with the package.
This is what Excal recommends.

The Equinox does fly better with the heavier weight
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Welcome, Enjoy, and Learn. I love my Equinox and am sure you will love yours also.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
EZKILL

Post by EZKILL »

TRY re-served YOUR Equinox WITH Halo braid - .030 THIS WORKS WELL. IF YOU CANT FINE IT HERES A LINK http://www.hmbowstrings.com/accessories.html
Get a back up string put the Halo braid - .030 on it then it all to ez :twisted:
i use the Flemish Fast Flight String Halo braid - .030 on it and NAP Spitfire® XP ProSeries 125gr., 1-1/2" cutting diameter but the Boo String is a better string
http://boocustomstrings.com/
Last edited by EZKILL on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox
Custom Arrows by crazyfarmer
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Here is another tip. Develope a routine for loading the bow.

I use: cock ( with rope ), flip safety, remove rope, raise the bow, load arrow. Try to avoid distractions whilest doing that. Then when ready to shoot, verify the arrow's presence, and verify that YOUR THUMB IS AWAY FROM THE FLIGHT RAIL, flip safety, squeeze trigger.

You will want to be consistant in your approach.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome! Congrats on the new addiction! :lol:

Concentrate, be deliberate, and AVOID DISTRACTION.

My dryfires & almost-dryfires :oops: have happened when I've been distracted - listening to a conversation, answering a question while preparing to shoot, having my attention on my 4 yr old (with those eyes Mom's have in the back of their head :wink: ).

Once I benchrested and didn't watch that my fingers were all clear of the string (I wasn't gripping the stock) - a painful mistake I won't be making again any time soon.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Joystyx

Post by Joystyx »

Welcome aboard :D

My best advice : Train, train, train !
Find a routine for cock n' load, wax your string serving every 25 shots. Be confident when you pull the trigger.
Read this forum, don't be afraid to ask any questions.

And above all...
HAVE FUN !
2010 Exomax - Leupold VX-I - HHA Speed Dial
2008 Relayer Y25 #954 -VariZone - S5
A bunch of Firebolts
Shockwaves & Crimson Talons
Inter arma silent leges
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

gerald strine wrote:I have been a forum member now for a little over a month but I have never owned a xbow before. Well Thursday I ordered a Equinox with lumizone package .
The dealer only had veryzone scopes on hand but no lumizone,the lumizones were all ready orderd and the whole order will ship when he can swap out the scopes.
Of course I feel like a kid waiting for christmass to get here.
The dealer I bought from says there will be a 13% price increase for 2010 has anyone else herd this ( U.S.A delear)
It is going to be a long wait till The Michigan bow opener Oct 1st but I will have plenty of time to get familer with my new tool for deer harvesting.
Any helpfull set up tips I need to know about?
I felt guilty not buying a U.S. bow with our econamy in the dumps but I wanted a recurve bow and felt that the Excaliburs were the way to go.
I really enjoy the forum and now I even own a Crossbow.
COME ON NOW GERALD TELL THE TRUTH MATE YOU JUST COULD'NT HELP YOURSELF AH.. :D :D :D MATE JUST REMEMBER THE GOLDEN RULE-COCK IT-LOCK IT-LOAD IT. CONGRATS MATE
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
phil

Post by phil »

Welcome and congrats on your new purchase!...all good advice from the above folks. I would also recommend your getting a properly fitted hard case for it also. As for broadheads, if you shoot a compound, at least try those heads out too. I tried a few and am currently using the same heads i use on my compound.
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Origional post is from Jan 2010.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
shuey270

Post by shuey270 »

My tip is call the butcher ahead of time!! Good Luck!
equinox varazone gt laser 2's 125 thunderhead