Which arrows for Hoyt Gamemaster

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NewGuy

Which arrows for Hoyt Gamemaster

Post by NewGuy »

I picked up a Hoyt Gamemaster a couple years ago and have used it for bowfishing since, I recently picked up a Vixen light that i may switch over for bowfishing and would like to get the GameMaster out for some target shooting. Would anyone be able to recommend which arrows i should be shooting out of it? I draw 50lbs @ 26.5". I currently use the easton epic st's in a 400 spine with my compound, would i be able to use those? Thanks in advance for any help.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
BUS314

Re: Which arrows for Hoyt Gamemaster

Post by BUS314 »

AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Your best bet is to go to the easton web site and use their arrow selector link,
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Post by Boo »

For targets Epics are pretty good. For hunting I shoot Gold Tip Traditionals but my favorite for hunting is Beeman Classics. Four 4" fletchings works best for me. Mine is a Gamemaster II at 50#. I think at your draw weight a 400 may be a bit too stiff depending on your tip weight. If you want some softer spined arrows to try let me know and I'll send you a couple.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Boo wrote:For targets Epics are pretty good. For hunting I shoot Gold Tip Traditionals but my favorite for hunting is Beeman Classics. Four 4" fletchings works best for me. Mine is a Gamemaster II at 50#. I think at your draw weight a 400 may be a bit too stiff depending on your tip weight. If you want some softer spined arrows to try let me know and I'll send you a couple.

What characteristics should i be looking for to determine if my spine is too stiff? Nothing catastrophic will happen if i try the 400's out correct? Totally green to determining arrow spine and such. All i was looking to do is decide if the recurve is something i would like to pursue. I mean it was great for bowfishing so i can only imagine it should be a hoot for target shooting as well and hopefully down the road finding the time to become proficient enough to take it in the stand with me.
Boo

Post by Boo »

NewGuy wrote:
Boo wrote:For targets Epics are pretty good. For hunting I shoot Gold Tip Traditionals but my favorite for hunting is Beeman Classics. Four 4" fletchings works best for me. Mine is a Gamemaster II at 50#. I think at your draw weight a 400 may be a bit too stiff depending on your tip weight. If you want some softer spined arrows to try let me know and I'll send you a couple.

What characteristics should i be looking for to determine if my spine is too stiff? Nothing catastrophic will happen if i try the 400's out correct? Totally green to determining arrow spine and such. All i was looking to do is decide if the recurve is something i would like to pursue. I mean it was great for bowfishing so i can only imagine it should be a hoot for target shooting as well and hopefully down the road finding the time to become proficient enough to take it in the stand with me.
Bare shaft tuning.
Adcock has an excellent take on tuning a traditional bow. It is quite complex and you may find that you need access to an arrow saw and a good selection of tips. Shooting the wrong spine is no biggie.

http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you want the biggest rush in your life stalk and take a shot at a whitetail with your Gamemaster. There is no comparison.
bdog

Post by bdog »

That is so true,walk around with a recurve/long bow or something similar,they are so light and quiet to shoot when set up with the right arrow,and string and brace height,well I could go on and on about it,nock left, weak spine,nock right, stiff spine,for a rightie, arrow lenght,head weight,have fun,and be careful
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Stash

Post by Stash »

An over-stiff arrow will wobble and bounce off the rest, probably impact left of where you're aiming, and tend to wear out the rest or rest plate quickly. A 400 will be way stiff unless you have it 29-30" long with a heavy point. Try a 500 spine at 28" with 125 up front. If you're considering using aluminum, they tend (in my experience) to work a bit better when weak, so something around a 1916 might be a good choice.

But as Boo and others have said, you need to experiment - everyone has a different release and the same setup will not always work for 2 different people.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Thank-you gentlemen, i will start the experimenting hopefully next week.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The nice thing about the Gamemaster is that it is a center cut riser. You can get away with a wider variance of spines on that bow.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

The short version get you a 3555 or 500 spine same thing. Take off feathers glue in a 100gr brass insert and what ever weight field tip you like 125 or heaver. Start with a 30" arrow shoot the arrow at 15 to 20 yds You should hit right and have a nock left arrow If your right handed. If you hit left and have a nock right arrow you will need a 600 spine or heaver tip. Lets say you hit right left nock. Just take the nock out of the arrow and cut a inch off the back of the shaft and repeat. Until you hit just a little left and have a slight right nock. Fletch your arrow and it will shoot where you look and fly straight.
Its just easier to cut off the back for tuning.
Hope this helps
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I shoot 400 29inch Easton Axis arrows out of my Hoyt. Love them! I shoot 61lbs also. But for 50lbs the 350spin arrows would work best. The 450+ spine ones are made for 70lb bows and up LOL
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

crazyfarmer wrote:I shoot 400 29inch Easton Axis arrows out of my Hoyt. Love them! I shoot 61lbs also. But for 50lbs the 350spin arrows would work best. The 450+ spine ones are made for 70lb bows and up LOL
Please do take this wrong. but are you saying a 350 spine arrow is weaker than a 500 spine arrow. I Have been shooting trad bows for over 30 years and have even made a few. Maybe im wrong but i thought we were talking about a recurve bow. If so, thats how you tune them. What your doing is getting the nodes of the arrow in line with the nocking point and target. But im sorry you are wrong about the 450+ are for higher poundage bows. As far as i know the 600 spine being the weakest is for 45# bows or less the 500 should be for 50 55# bows and so on.
BUS314

Post by BUS314 »

rt2bowhunter, you are correct
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse