Hey Y'all

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

carvedtip

Hey Y'all

Post by carvedtip »

Been lurking here for about a year now grabbin some info on crossbows now that we can use them here in Texas. I looked at all the new models at the outdoor show and met the people from excalibur and they were downright friendly for foreigners lol.:D

I ended up buying an equinox and got the package with all the stuff also. A month later while visiting back home in Wisc I found a carved tip exocet at a pawn shop and bought it for $150 bucks. I really like the old exocet a lot and it shoots great. It has a drop zone scope on it and the first shot with it at 20 yds. was dead on!

Now I need to start getten the goodies that I been readin about. Lots of good information about the different quiver mounts, strings, extenders, cheek pieces, arrows and string stoppers. There are probably lots of Texans snoopin round this place gettin info now that we be legal and good to go.
lscha

Re: Hey Y'all

Post by lscha »

WELCOME Carvedtip! Image
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

Ischa that sure was a fast welcome! :) Thanks.

I see in your signature that you have the NGSS string stopper. How can I get one of them? I ordered the STS one and sent it back because of what it did to the brace height of the string. Does the NGSS make the bow quieter? Man these things is loud!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Welcome to the forum Carvedtip. Where in Wisconsin were you from.I live near the small town of Chilton East Central wisconsin, about 40 miles SSE of Green Bay. Go Packers! :)
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Welcome to the forum!
Crispy
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

agingcrossbower wrote: Where in Wisconsin were you from. Go Packers! :)
Outside Kansasville, little burg on Rt 11 and Rt 75 west of Union Grove. You can hold your breath and make it from city limit to city limit if you ignore the 35 mph speed limit and go 55! Actually not all that far from Wilmot where Gander Mountain started.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

The STS requires a small modification. Shame you didn't register earlier, you would have probably asked about the problem. Simple solution actually.

The string stoppers will not quiet a crossbow. There is way too much extra energy left over from the launch of the arrow. This extra energy creates vibrations which cause the bow to act like a tuning fork and produce a loud noise. The string stoppers address this by allowing the string to release SOME energy onto the rubber stoppers and from there to the riser and then the stock. This reduces vibrations, changes the way the bow feels when shot, and also reduces noise slightly. It also makes it more accurate.

Many ways have been tried to reduce noise. But the real game is to reduce vibrations. Most of the really effective methods of noise reduction - also reduce arrow speed.

You have the fastest bow Excal makes, enjoy that fact. I suggest that you let the bow quiet down naturally. You do this by shooting it alot. Eventually, you will notice it getting less abnoxious to your ears. :mrgreen:

Search past posts carefully. Some involve ideas that are not good. Also, becareful which string you place on that carved limb bow. You can use the wrong string and have bad problems. Suggest you ask about that and allow the board collective to inform you of the issue properly.

Heavier arrows absorb more energy, and reduce noise, but cost you speed.
Quality strings can reduce noise, and may or may not cost you arrow speed.
Limb dampeners, string thingies, etc also reduce noise, and cost you arrow speed.

The amount of noise is deceptive, because your ear is right against the stock. Stand in front at thirty yards and see how quiet your bow really is. That is probably the distance it takes for a deer to hear the bow before the arrow strikes. You will notice that the arrow is much louder than the bow. Make sure you are safe, and that you trust the shooter. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the site. Many quailty people here. Glad Tejas has reasonable archery laws now, and wish Florida would do the same.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Welcome to the Forum. Dacron strings only on carved tip models. Either the endless loop or the Flemish, which is my 1st choice always. Fine CB's you got.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

Thanks for the info undertaker. I knew about the difference in strings from reading and carved tips vs molded tips. I know at these speeds the deer will only hear the bow only after the arrow is past both lungs. Its the other critters in the vicinity that I would like to keep from hearin it. I do like what you said about it being more accurate with the stoppers. As far as the STS it is made for an excalibur yet you have to saw on it to make it right and thats just plain stupid.:roll: I am going to try and find the one ischa and you have. That is a slick set up you got that I saw on the quiver mount thread. I also need to get the quiver off the side and am leaning to that top mount that goes parallel to the limbs.

Thanks for all the great info. :) Your bow setup is great!!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

As far as the STS it is made for an excalibur yet you have to saw on it to make it right and thats just plain stupid
Welcome to the forum and congrat's on the carved tip find, you stole it! I have an STS on my bow[s] and didn't have to 'saw on it'.

Don't know if your reading found that a lot of Excal users like the 1 1/8" brace height, some of them claim it's a 'sweet spot' for most models. I tend to agree. At a glance, it's w/ serving just touching the 'high' mark.

That being said, I am experimenting w/ used old bumpers that have splits in them by gluing a leather pad on the rubber. For that mod I did cut down my rods w/ a Dremel, took all of 5 minutes, lol.

Not sure on the results, I loaned my STS to a new Excal owner on another forum up in Illinois [my home state] and used to visit a bud on Lily Lake 7 miles from Wilmot. Small world, eh?
"Eze 18:21"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Welcome. Where abouts in Texas are you from? I'm in the DFW area. I hope that crossbows really catch on and take off this next year. I know that there were a lot of people that didnt know that they were legal during regular archery season this year.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Welcome :D Last time I was in Texas gas was .17cents a gallon (1964)
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
maple

Post by maple »

....downright friendly for foreigners......... :lol: :lol: We just act that way to throw you off :wink:

Welcome Carvedtip hope you like it here, a great bunch of guys and gals.......where is Texas anyway?

Maple
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

flightattendant100 wrote:Welcome. Where abouts in Texas are you from?
I live in Sonora it is off I-10 south of San Angelo in the west. I am part of the environmental impact group for the gas transmission industry so I spend every day out in the field checking out the gas lines. So I get to see wildlife and lots of it every day and it really is a dream job for me. As a result of my job I get lots of places to hunt and the deer are everywhere. Not as big as those brutes you guys get in the north but we do get some spectacular racks.
Boo

Post by Boo »

carvedtip wrote:As far as the STS it is made for an excalibur yet you have to saw on it to make it right and thats just plain stupid.
The older STSs required that you had to cut the rods to prolong the life of the bumpers. Not that cutting two rods was a big deal. However, the new ones come with longer bumpers so the rods no longer need cutting.
I like not having more parts than necessary. The K.I.S.S. principle.
Some people just like stepping on rakes