Cross Border shipping

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bogdog

Cross Border shipping

Post by Bogdog »

Hi Folks

I'm looking at buying a crossbow but haven't decided on a supplier. Has anyone had any problem shipping crossbows from the US to Canada?
bdog

Re: Cross Border shipping

Post by bdog »

No problems accept the cost,they might tax you,sometimes they don't,and most carriers charge handling fees,USPS is usually cheapest,
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
BOBANDTOBY

Post by BOBANDTOBY »

I also was wondering about this and alot of suppliers wont ship across the border. Does anyone know for sure that you can indeed ship across? And yes definately use USPS instead of a courier as they charge alot for custom clearance and delivery charges. I try not to use a courier anymore as I have gotten stung a few times.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

US sellers are usually not all that familiar with their own (US) EXPORT rules, especially if they are small outfits. Some small operators haven't heard of US Export restrictions and they will gladly ship out of country.

Others have heard horror stories about harsh consequences for US retailers exporting FIREARMS related material, which IS strictly controlled. That's when they just give up and decide to sell only into the US market. It's not worth the bother of worrying if it's legal to export, so just sell to the local US market.

Crossbows aren't firearms, but like Mark Twain said, a cat that's been sat on a hot stove afterwards doesn't like to walk in front of a cold one......
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Allan

Post by Allan »

If you are in Canad, why not buy from a Canadian supplier?
Bogdog

Post by Bogdog »

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it's a bit hit or miss for getting crossbows from the US. Truth is, and I mean no disrespect to our neighbours to the south, seeing as I'm from a small community in Northern Ontario, if possible I really would rather support our local economy. It's just that there's not a whole bunch of places to buy crossbows up here. Mind you, I'm heading down Peterborough way next week and down to London at Easter. Maybe I'll take a look in the Arhcery Nook in London.

Thanks again for the info.
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

i bought an excaliur crossbow through a forum member it was ship usps they drill me over 90.00 at the border . do some hangleing in canada , save the diffence for the dollar etc. :D
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

AMERICAN ARCHERY SUPPLY
Ebay dealer will ship to Canada for $35
I just bought a Equinox from them and was pleased with the price and service I live in the U.S.A though .
Their phone # is on the Ebay site or I have it if you need it call during business hours if you go that way.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

bstout wrote:In my opinion it's best to support the dealer that's closest to you that you like. The "that you like" part is important more so than the price.

For me that's Dan Miller at Horizontal Archery in Sardis, Ohio (740-483-2312). Dan is an A+++ kind of guy and super fair when it comes to pricing.

If I lived in Canada I would find someone like Dan Miller in Canada to buy from versus a big box store.
If your in the US I agree Dan Miller as being the choice to go too.

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have never had any problems shipping archery equipment to Canada, but I have had shipments disappear for a month or two. :shock:
The USPS said it was in Canada, and the postal service there said they had no record of it. I picked up the paperwork to file a claim, and miraculously it was delivered the next day! :?
I suspect delivery was attempted and nobody was home, so it was stuck back in a corner and forgotten until I had the trace started to find it.

I would buy at home if at all possible, though.
wabi
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

Archers Nook in London has the Y25 on sale....(according to the web site)

The listed shipping price for a crossbow in Ontario is about $16.00
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I bought a bow from Digger and it was about $30 shipping Priority mail. That's Can to USA. You can't 'track' usps stuff unless you ask for signature at delivery, to the best of my knowledge.

I sold a scope to a forum member, I just mail stuff on a person's word, but the funds didn't come for a long time. About 3 months. This gentleman has a good name on here so I knew he'd sent the money. He finally sent another check which I got in less than a week, and naturally the missing one showed up a few days later.

Then, since it was a personal check from a Canadian bank, my bank dinged me $7 to process it. I consider my best forum deal the Emax I sold to John and shipped it home w/ Boo on his last visit here, lol.

I've sold a lot of toys that fell out of favor, never got stiffed by a forum person here or any muzzle loaders when I was into them.
"Eze 18:21"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Just a comment here for Canadians buying from the US. Check with your bank - depending on what kind of an account you have, you might be able to get a money order in US funds drafted up for no extra fee.

I went this route with a forum member in the US who sent the item before he received the payment from me. The member was extremely patient and waited weeks... eventually we figured it was lost in the mail. Because it was a money order I was able to cancel the payment, and have a new order issued. Money orders are trackable. Also, if made out in US funds it avoids any extra charges on the other end.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

I sent a vertical bow to a buyer in Canada. Sent it standard mail. No problems what so ever. Buyer sent MO in US funds. No problem there either.
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
longshot44

Post by longshot44 »

It really depends on who is dealing with the shipping. If the US company sends via UPS or other courier you will really get dinged for SPAM! and handling fees. If is is sent USPS it is hit or miss. You will have to pay Canadian taxes on the value. You may also get hit with a lower brokerage fee.

I once had someone who told me they were shipping USPS and decided they would do me a favour (without telling me) by shipping by a courier .... I ended up paying nearly $100 in additional fees and taxes on a $150 item (because they insured it for the new value of $300) .... We have had many other experiences where there was virtually no fee .... But you could get hit big time.

I passed on a number of Excals on this forum recently because of the potential border fees.

My advice is to buy within Canada.

Good luck