Slick Trick Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

petev

Slick Trick Broadheads

Post by petev »

I've read a lot of positive things about these broadheads. I see they have a standard and a magnum size head. Curious how folks find these broadheads, and what size works best.
Exocet 200
Hoyt Alpha Max 35
awshucks

Re: Slick Trick Broadheads

Post by awshucks »

I get mine from Danny Miller, cheapest anywhere I've found. The standard is 1" cut, the mag is 1 1/8" both available in 100 or 125 gr, blades interchange, weight diff is in the ferrules. I use the mags.

They make an 85 gr which the only thing I know about it is the blades are thinner and don't fit the other ferrules. They need to be 'spun' and sometimes adjusted by spinning the washer to get rid of run-out, aka wobble. Occasionally, that can take some patience.

Everything I shot w/ them died quick w/ good trails on the hogs and deer. I don't take near the game others on here do, btw.
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Curious as to where they're bought ? Dan Miller. I use the 100gr mag slick, taken 4 deer with them since last Dec.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

It is less important what other folks use. They may be using very different bows than yours and hunting much easier or harder game to kill.

What is most important is to match up the best broadhead for the type of game YOU will be hunting, and what type of bow YOU will be using.

I suggest you start by telling us what game you hunt, and what bow you use. Otherwise you may get sincere advice that is accurate, but irrelevant (or misleading) to your situation.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
BUS314

Post by BUS314 »

I'll never buy another brand. Why would I , when these things are soooooo accurate & do the job so well? Deer, hogs, yotes, bear, elk, ---they will kill 'em all dead. :wink:
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use them for everything from squirrels to deer, this year they will accompany me on a bear trip as well, maybe moose too.
I use them with the crossbow as well as the compound, they fly straight and make big holes. I use he standard, wife uses magnum, both fly equally well.
I have never heard of anyone not being able to shoot them with consistancy.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
oldbhtrnewequip

Post by oldbhtrnewequip »

buy em
if you don't like them the manufacturer accepts them back with a refund.
what's to lose other than time and effort?

I guess shipping costs.

The only other I'm thinking about now is the atom.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Re the Atom, read the whole 12 pages on the other site on them. What I got out of it all is at best easier to get accuracy from, might replicate my Slicks on trails but likely not.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

the bigger cut the better. I have found that they are consistant, but differ slightly from feild tips. But only slightly. I sight in with b heads so it matters very little. I do like the slicks!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

awshucks wrote:Re the Atom, read the whole 12 pages on the other site on them. What I got out of it all is at best easier to get accuracy from, might replicate my Slicks on trails but likely not.
awshucks
I took 4 does this year using the Atom and I can't say enough good things about them. I know that arrow placement is 99% of the battle but they cut through the deer like a knife through hot butter. Out of the 4 I shot I only found one arrow.
The great thing about the Atom is it shoots the same point of impact as a field point. No more tearing up a good target shooting broadheads to get them tuned in. While the holes don't look like you threw an ax through them they don't plug up and they leave a blood trail even I could follow. None of them went further than 30 yards most only around twenty. One shot was a straight through and through on the front shoulders, I don't think that arrow has slowed down yet because it was one of them I coundn' find. :lol:
I talked to Mike day before yesterday by E-mail and he he hoping to have the new Radian broadhead out on the market by June, maybe a little sooner. He says that this broadhead caters to the crossbow hunter. I don't know the weight or cutting diamiter on it as he is not saying much about it yet. I wish he would hurry though, I am excited to see it.
It is all a matter of what confidence you have in your broadhead and individual taste I guess, but the atom will stay on my arrows for next season unless I like the Radian better. :lol: :D
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

theoldarcher wrote:
awshucks wrote:Re the Atom, read the whole 12 pages on the other site on them. What I got out of it all is at best easier to get accuracy from, might replicate my Slicks on trails but likely not.
awshucks
I took 4 does this year using the Atom and I can't say enough good things about them. I know that arrow placement is 99% of the battle but they cut through the deer like a knife through hot butter. Out of the 4 I shot I only found one arrow.
The great thing about the Atom is it shoots the same point of impact as a field point. No more tearing up a good target shooting broadheads to get them tuned in. While the holes don't look like you threw an ax through them they don't plug up and they leave a blood trail even I could follow. None of them went further than 30 yards most only around twenty. One shot was a straight through and through on the front shoulders, I don't think that arrow has slowed down yet because it was one of them I coundn' find. :lol:
I talked to Mike day before yesterday by E-mail and he he hoping to have the new Radian broadhead out on the market by June, maybe a little sooner. He says that this broadhead caters to the crossbow hunter. I don't know the weight or cutting diamiter on it as he is not saying much about it yet. I wish he would hurry though, I am excited to see it.
It is all a matter of what confidence you have in your broadhead and individual taste I guess, but the atom will stay on my arrows for next season unless I like the Radian better. :lol: :D
Congrats on a way better season than I had! I know that you know your stuff and value your opinion. Also, saw several huge hogs shot in Spain I believe on the other thread.

The 'shoot's like a fp' thingy is kinda immaterial to me, so do my slicks for the most part. I've got a rig w/ dial indicator I spin them on, it's a project I made up just for fun. The biggest critter I've gigged has been a 1000 lb cow buff, the slick cut a rib in two on the offside.

I'm thinking what if I'd hit the rib going in vs coming out w/ the Axiom. Yeah, I know the wires compress, yada yada, but I'm just not ever gonna be comfortable w/ that.

The guy has enough pics of huge critters taken and guys like you that can be trusted to not embellish stories, so it's my problem I suppose.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I actually like the atom . . .when it comes in a larger cut, then I'll definitely give it a try. Who cares about the blood trail when the deer only goes 30 yards, right? I can still see that far. LOL.

Yes, hitting the target is 99% of the challange. Some broadheads give you a much better chance of hitting the target. Less chance of planing via shooting those little wires is a good thing and I would perfer to go around a bone than to waste energy trying to cut it in half. No blood vessels in the bone, however, it is nice when you drop a deer by breaking it's spine.

I still like the Slick Tricks for a small ferrule broadhead. Accurate and a good amount of cutting surface.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Once you shoot the slick tricks and see what it does to the animal,you wont put anything else on the end of your arrow!
Slick tricks are the best!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax