equinox/exomax & exomag interesting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

blackjack

equinox/exomax & exomag interesting

Post by blackjack »

g'day, interesting today l'd been playing with my new 1999 exomag 185 lb l've just brought secondhand thought when cocking it that it has got a long power stroke so l measured its power stroke against my equinox with a measuring tape & there the same power stroke :shock: . regards frank p.s not quite abit more than a bees dick out 1/4....
Last edited by blackjack on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
blackjack

Re: equinox/exomax & exomag interesting fact...

Post by blackjack »

ok l new that but thought the new limbs were made from different glass. regards frank
Last edited by blackjack on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

There's just something about those carved tip limbs that says; "Get me, get me". That Excal logo on the front of the limbs w/ that pin stripe type border just lights my fire!
"Eze 18:21"
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

blackjack wrote:so l measured its power stroke against my equinox with a measuring tape & there the same power stroke
I find that interesting, since an original 1999 carved limb Exomag had a 16" powerstroke, unlike the later model magtipped Mag and current Max which have a 16.5" powerstroke. If the powerstroke on your Mag is the same it might be that perhaps the rail/mainframe came from a later model Mag.

The reason I say that is because the carved tipped Mags had a "bronze" coloured rail. Yours looks like it is grey, just like the current Max model.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the carved-tip limbs were made using a different fiberglass receipe than the receipe used to make the current models.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
saxman

Post by saxman »

awshucks wrote:There's just something about those carved tip limbs that says; "Get me, get me". That Excal logo on the front of the limbs w/ that pin stripe type border just lights my fire!
I agree Dan.
I like the muted tones of the camo,would work equaly as well in a treestand or a dark groundblind.
Good lookin bow. :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I thought the only difference between the Equinox and the Exomax was thumb hole verses standard stock I do not know what a carved tip is all about.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I guess the tape will tell the rail tale, but the color of it and the riser seem to match to my eye.
"Eze 18:21"
blackjack

exomag its the real Mc coy

Post by blackjack »

g'day, the guy l brought it of the exomag that is said he was pretty sure it was in 1999 or 2000 that he brought the exomag but then he said he was certain that it was 1999 the top picture is the equinox the 2 under are the excalibur in question & the frame is bronze its the real mccoy believe me & also the draw is the same as the equinox maybe a bee's dick in diffrence...regards frank
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Frank,
The pic above is clearer and the rail looks definitely "bronze", so yes I would have to say that the Mag you have is an original. A buddy of mine has one that's identical. He bought it new in 2000.

Having said that, and being an Excalibur historian myself; :P I'm 100% positive that Excalibur marketed and stated that the carved-tip Exomag had a 16" powerstroke.
Here's proof from an Excalibur Catalogue

Since you state that the powerstrokes of both the Equinox and the Mag are the same, it makes me wonder and ask: " How are you measuring the powerstroke? "

I have one of the last Exomag magtipped, which has a 16.5" powerstroke, the same as the current Exomax models. When I measure the distance from where the riser meets the front of the rail back to the rear of the trigger claws it's 17.5". Allowing for a 1" brace height will give a powerstroke of 16.5". In other words, the powerstroke is measured with the crossbow uncocked from the string to the back of the trigger claws.

Frank, I'm curious to know, if you use my method of measuring do you still get the same measurements for both the Mag and the Equinox?
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
blackjack

you win...

Post by blackjack »

g'day comfybear your quite right its abit more than a bees dick there's not much in it though about 1/4 in draw if that & over the length of the frame. funny enough me & the misses both measured it but its says on the tape 17 inches not 16 from where the frame & riser meet together to just behind the claw but great poster mate. anyhow in australia when your loose a debate the looser buys the other a carton of beer so if you ever come to australia looks like l owe you a carton of beer your choice. best regards frank p.s comfybear l see what you mean now that would bring mine back to a 16 inch draw