Carbon or aluminum?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jackleg

Carbon or aluminum?

Post by jackleg »

I'm new at the whole crossbow thing. I just bought a brand new Equinox and was wondering if I can use the bolts that come with the right stuff package to hunt moose. Is speed better for penetration or is energy? Should I buy heavier aluminum? Just want feedback. Thanks. Regards.
Equinox
GTII's 2" blazers
Ground pounder mount
gerald strine

Re: Carbon or aluminum?

Post by gerald strine »

I think the carbons will be fine get some brass inserts for them and increase the penetration.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Wide8pt

Post by Wide8pt »

Welcome! Most all of the excals come with enough fire power to take a moose. After bow hunting moose for years,learning the hard way,one piece of advice I can give you is get some good quality broadheads, preferably fixed blade with 1.25" cut. You have some time so experiment and enjoy!
Exocet 200
Boo String
Rage 3 Blade
GT Laser II's
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

most carbon will fly straighter and faster than aluminum......
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I won't tell you which is better as i don't knowed the answer. I own & shoot both. As fer the weight each can be made lite or heavy same with being straight.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

its just a matter of what you like.. both can do the job;)

I like carbon since I dont have to worry about checking arrows to see if they are bent.
wabi

Post by wabi »

warningshot wrote:most carbon will fly straighter and faster than aluminum......
Have to disagree with that comment!
The material the arrow is made of has little or nothing to do with accuracy. Longbows do just fine with wood arrows, and wood - fiberglass - aluminum - carbon have all been used with good results over the years.
The straightness of the shaft, the quality of the fletching job, and the matching of the arrow to the bow (not critical in crossbows) for spine are the things that determine accuracy.
My Phoenix has been chronographed with both carbon and aluminum arrows of minimum weight (350 grains) and the velocity is the SAME!

Now to the question - :lol:
The carbons are just fine for your Excalibur.
I prefer aluminums, but that's based on the fact they don't leave carbon splinters in game if they break. Not a huge concern, but a possibility. :wink: I have had a carbon break on a shot through a deer, but I was not sure if it broke in the deer or after it passed through. (I only found the fletched end of the arrow) I found no evidence of contamination in the meat, but the shot was through the ribs & lungs, so no meat would have been lost, anyway.
wabi
TYE

Post by TYE »

Both do the same job... But aluminum is cheaper ;)
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

well wabi i sure that all your alumins are straight but i had difficulty finding that with mine , brand new eastons never flew great ... they were fine with target heads but when i put on broadheads they were all over the place......and after shooting and pulling from the targets they would get bent and accuracy just got worse ....so straightness was the issue with me with the alumin i could never find it ....accuracy is keys for me so carbons are the answer ...never chronied my arrows but just compared easton alumin 2216 versus easton carbon power bolts and the carbons were hitting higher so i had to adjust the speed ring ..i assumed they were the same weight ...sorry if possibly posted false info and steered anyone wrong

[quote="wabi"][quote="warningshot"]most carbon will fly straighter and faster than aluminum......[/quote]

Have to disagree with that comment!
The material the arrow is made of has little or nothing to do with accuracy. Longbows do just fine with wood arrows, and wood - fiberglass - aluminum - carbon have all been used with good results over the years.
The straightness of the shaft, the quality of the fletching job, and the matching of the arrow to the bow (not critical in crossbows) for spine are the things that determine accuracy.
My Phoenix has been chronographed with both carbon and aluminum arrows of minimum weight (350 grains) and the velocity is the SAME!

Now to the question - :lol:
The carbons are just fine for your Excalibur.
I prefer aluminums, but that's based on the fact they don't leave carbon splinters in game if they break. Not a huge concern, but a possibility. :wink: I have had a carbon break on a shot through a deer, but I was not sure if it broke in the deer or after it passed through. (I only found the fletched end of the arrow) I found no evidence of contamination in the meat, but the shot was through the ribs & lungs, so no meat would have been lost, anyway.[/quote]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Both will do the job. I just like the carbon because of the durability factor. I have some that are over three years old and still shoot just fine. I've shot them a LOT too. I do not have to worry about bending them.

I like easy, call me crazy. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen