Who Knows Which Way the Wind Blows?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Who Knows Which Way the Wind Blows?

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Y'all ...

I have always noted with great interest the strong opinions many hunters have concerning wind and their stand sites and hunting methods ... there is such a great deal of talk about "waiting for the right wind" and "playing the wind" and "watching the wind" ... especially on the hunting shows.

With all the "wind opinions" and "wind talk" that goes on, I'd like to suggest that some of all that "windy" opinion and talk is hot air. :D :wink:

Not all, mind you ... don't anyone get their hackles up ... but I don't think wind issues when hunting are nearly so cut-and-dried as many hunters let on.

I'll tell ya why:

I spend lots of time in the woods, during hunting season and at other times, and I don't just hunt. I do other things when I'm out, and one of the things I often do when rambling about is stop, build a quick fire, and brew a cup of coffee or a cup of tea ... maybe eat a bite, if it's time and I'm hungry:

Now, years of experience have taught me this:

Even though my region (Eastern Carolina, where the Wright Brothers came for the breeze!) is known for it's unusually steady winds, it doesn't matter what the wind seems to be doing in the field or in any open area when I go in, or even in the tree-tops ... in the woods, on the ground, the wind shifts about constantly ... the smoke from small fires blows this way and that, that way and this, each and every which way ... all within the space of the hour or so that I stop. This occurs in the morning, at midday and in the evening too. Very rarely have I known the smoke from a cookfire or campfire to blow in only one direction. I could honestly count the times I've seen that on one hand, with fingers left over to point out that it's not very likely!

I have also noticed that no matter what the vegetation seems to indicate as wind-direction, smoke still swirls about and blows every which way!

I have observed all of this so many times in so many situations that I have absolutely no doubt that what happens to smoke also happens to scent ... in other words, it blows around all over the place, here and there, there and here ... no matter what the "wind" seems to be doing by other observation.

I'm mostly a ground and short-stand hunter, and I've also noticed that when I'm on stand, even up to 12' or so, that at one moment the wind is sighing upon my cheeks ... the next, it's kissing the back of my neck ... the next, blowing in my ear. It's rare that I notice anything like a really steady wind in one direction ... it's all over the place.

I've noted these things here in Carolina, in Virginia, and in Indiana ... in flat and hilly terrain.

Now, I am aware of mountain thermals and other general rules of wind behavior, but in spite of all that, time and experience have led me to this conclusion:

In my opinion, there is only one way be reasonably sure of fooling a deer's nose in the woods, and that is to get way high above them, where the wind issue isn't even an issue.

So, here's my dual proposition:

If you're in a nose-bleed seat, you're above the problem anyway.

If you're in the woods on the ground, or even close to the ground, all that "playing the wind" talk is so much wind!

You can do your best according to what you see, but your stink is gonna be out there ... and there ... and there ... and there ... everywhere!

At least, that's what I think. :P :wink:

What think ye? :?: :D
Grizz
B-Logger

Re: Who Knows Which Way the Wind Blows?

Post by B-Logger »

Griz, I too have given much thought to this. I do not think our woods are unique at all, but every time I go into the woods I too notice the changing of the wind or drafts. It does not seem to make any difference if on the ground or in a tree stand. In fact, I well remember more than once setting a tree stand and having a helper on the ground while I'm up in the tree. One time in particular I remember well when I finished setting the stand and sat down. I made a comment about this being perfect for this wind direction. However, to my dismay, my helper on the ground told me that the wind was almost the exact opposite of what I was experiencing up high.

On the same sort of thing, we can talk about scent killers and Scent-Loc type clothing. This switching of the wind is what drove me finally to try the Scent-Loc and yes, I did notice a difference. Yet, I too remember many times before scent spray and scent clothing how I have been walking in the woods and had deer walk right in front of me....downwind....and I was sweating and just had on work clothing (I wasn't hunting). One time I had 4 deer come out of the woods (I was on a ditch bank), come up the bank (only about a 2' rise), look at me (less than 25' from them) and then walk directly away from me downwind. I also have had this happen during hunting. Deer very close to me not seeing or scenting me. Other times you think they should not be able to scent you, but they do.

I've searched for the answer for many, many moons and consulted many so-called experts but still have not found the answers. So until I do, all I can do is to stay clean, keep the clothing clean and stay as scent free as possible and enjoy hunting.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've been very successful at times not fooling the deer. The last buck I killed, this season, smelled/saw me first. However, apparently he was trying to confirm what he smelled or trying to smell what he saw. Either way, he was uphill and downwind when I shot him. LOL.

Over the years, I've shot several while they were trying to figure me out.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Very interesting observation Grizz. I used to smoke and would smoke while on stand. I always thought that it was amazing at how the wind swirled around so much, taking the cigarette smoke with it. I laways semed to kil my fair share of deer even though the smoke would be heded towards them but then again I did get "picked off" many times as well. Interesting subject, I'm curious to see what others have to say :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yer right on the wind its always swirling & eddying. Only when a front is moving in will it push in that direction & were talking 15 mph & more. Like Bob said i get up 20' & higher up on top of the ridge the sadlle is close to. Most of the time i am undetected but other times they wind me & start looking & slow stepping trying to locate where i am. They make easy targets cause move real slow! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
hiking

Post by hiking »

I like most of us have seen deer do so many diffrent things, it seems like there are no rules. I one time spilled a bottle of scent on my hunting jacket, and during a snow squall had a 10 point mature buck leave two does and come right to me from about 200 yds away. I dropped him at 20 yds. I guess the spilled lure was stronger than my smell that day. I thought I was on to something, but it hasn't worked since. there are just too many crazy things they do, but I still think the basics are important.
exocet 200
saxman

Post by saxman »

I hunt mostly from ground blinds and don't worry about wind at all,I just go hunt where I want.
When I shot my 8 point this season I stunk like crazy and I believe he was one of the best bucks in my area.
Now I do try to keep my clothes clean and as unscented as I can but I don't go overboard with it.

Last time I went to the lease to clean up the range I burned the trash in a 55 gal drum
The wind that day was crazy,it went in all directions and stayed LOW to the ground.

We all know that deer have 3 major senses
Smell,Sight,sound

I have come to the conclusion that If the deer puts any two of those senses together,it's outa there
I've had them smell me but not see or hear me and they stood right there and visa versa with the others.
But if it smells and sees me,it's usually gone.

I say this from my own observations.
I have never shot a monster buck and that may be the reason but I don't think so.
All this stuff is to sell products.

Good thread Grizz
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

The farm I hunt is mostly a valley. This valley has one end opening to the south and the other to the north/northwest. I usually hunt in the evening and the wind will usually shift directions 180º at some point late in the evening. It will be blowing south to north during the day, then as the evening sets in and the air cools it will go to north to south. That wind shift is what I watch for! It seems like that's the wake-up call for the deer to get out of their beds and start moving.
I set most of my stands & blinds for the north to south wind direction, but I've had about as many deer come in from the downwind side over the years.
This is a rural area, but there are plenty of homes scattered around, and plenty of people & pets wandering in the fields & woods, so the human scent alone isn't enough of an alarm to spook many of the deer. A huge old buck isn't going to come in when your scent is blowing in his face, but those tender, tasty 1½ year old deer aren't always so cautious, so I resign myself to eating tender backstraps instead of looking at huge racks hung on my walls. :roll: :wink: :lol:
wabi
xbowhardcases

Post by xbowhardcases »

Hello, this podcast has a lot of good information on wind and thermals. And the affect the topography has on them in your hunting sets

Play - The Hunting Beast Podcast Episode #1 - Wind and Thermals with Dan Infalt
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/podcast.php
Big John

Post by Big John »

What??? :shock:
Really? 2010?
:?

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

vixenmaster wrote:Yer right on the wind its always swirling & eddying. Only when a front is moving in will it push in that direction & were talking 15 mph & more. Like Bob said i get up 20' & higher up on top of the ridge the sadlle is close to. Most of the time i am undetected but other times they wind me & start looking & slow stepping trying to locate where i am. They make easy targets cause move real slow! :lol:
X2 on that one ole friend !!! :D
bubba

Post by bubba »

I find this wind issue is a hit or miss. I keep my hunting gear and cloths clean and scent free, and always pay attention to the wind direction when i sit up, in my years of hunting deer i've been busted many of a time, And most of the time it's their nose that gets me. Yet i've seen locals up in Ky, get off work stinking come thru on 4 wheelers park 30 yards from there stand and kill deer a number of times, I dont know the answser . Are there dumb deer? vs smart deer? Does age play a part? I dont know. I listen and read and all the stories, but my conclusion is its deer hunting, hit or miss. SMILE....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I realize this is an old post that has been revived, but thought I'd "Chime In" anyway... I'm new to X-bow's, but I have hunted " Up Close and Personal " for right at 50 years with long bows and recurves so I'll give my response for what it's worth.

You can say what you want, and " Quote all of the science " you want especially all that's found on the internet. Anyone who does not believe wind is not important obviously have never hunted elk. :lol: Try calling a nice bull into the wind, or using a cow call and having any elk for that matter, respond and come in from "Down Wind" roll:

Maybe it's just that the deer you guys hunt back East , due to the higher population of humans are used to more human smells: exhaust, fires, burn barrels and guys who tend them, those who may smoke cigerates, pipes and cigars...while hunting.

We don't get much of that in the areas I hunt Mule Deer, Blacktail Deer and Elk in so our animals are very in-tune to strange smells and act accordingly..I will continue to bath regularly and play close attention to the wind especially when it decides to hit me in the back of the neck. :shock: When that happens, I will turn and hunt into another direction . :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Geography has a lot to do with behavior. Where I live there is a huge deer population that is protected. They behave much differently than the deer 26 miles away where I hunt. Wind matters when, and where wind matters!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Waif

Post by Waif »

People stink like people.
A deer when in the mood to sort things out in identifying what they hear,smell or see instead of going into an evasive mode, will often confirm by an additional sense just what caught their attention.
Even after confirming what is catching their attention some may then work on locating it,or triangulating it's position,or try to catch it moving.
The deer's original demeanor and if it has been harassed lately all factor.
If deer panicked or took off every time they smelled a human then in some areas they might run to death.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.