new baby on the way

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

munch

new baby on the way

Post by munch »

no not that kind i will soon get the old age pension i don't need the baby bouns as well.
i had to go to the nook in london today so we ordered a pink vixen for my daughter .the guys say they don't know when they will be in but there has not been a lot of interest just yet.we also sent a request to onestringer arrow wraps for some wraps and picked up some blank shafts .now just need some pink and purple blazers if anyone has some they would like to sell she would like to see what they look like before we order tiger pinks.also bought a serving jig do i ever feel independent now
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Boo

Re: new baby on the way

Post by Boo »

Which serving tool and serving material did you get?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

My sons girlfriend wants wants her very own Pink Vixen for her birthday in March.
Now I will be able to keep her away from my Equinox. That baby is all my own now, lol.
munch

Post by munch »

Boo wrote:Which serving tool and serving material did you get?
boo it's called an aae cavalier pro string server.about $18 bucks the guys say it's the one they use and showed me how to use it.i will try to make a string jig to stretch an old string out on and practice in a few spots i asked about how much pressure and the fellow said get it so it makes a twang when you pluck it (that was on a longbow string) the material i bought is brownell & company crossbow serving .036 dia and the spool says #150 on top if that means anything.i just plan to reserve a couple of stock strings but may try oneday to make my own string for a recurve
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts facebook
JRS

Post by JRS »

munch wrote:i had to go to the nook in london today so we ordered a pink vixen for my daughter .the guys say they don't know when they will be in but there has not been a lot of interest just yet.
If used for other than for target shooting, wouldn't a pink bow dispel the current mindset of needing camo for hunting?
Boo

Post by Boo »

munch wrote:
Boo wrote:Which serving tool and serving material did you get?
boo it's called an aae cavalier pro string server.about $18 bucks the guys say it's the one they use and showed me how to use it.i will try to make a string jig to stretch an old string out on and practice in a few spots i asked about how much pressure and the fellow said get it so it makes a twang when you pluck it (that was on a longbow string) the material i bought is brownell & company crossbow serving .036 dia and the spool says #150 on top if that means anything.i just plan to reserve a couple of stock strings but may try oneday to make my own string for a recurve
Does it have a white bushing where the serving comes out of the tool?
Have you seen my design for a jig for tensioning the string?
[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/ ... .jpg[/img]

gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I have never served a string before but most likely will be getting into it soon.
I was thinking that if I did not have a jig I could leave it on the limbs and just take the limb assembly off the stock and do it that way would that work?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Post by Boo »

gerald strine wrote:I have never served a string before but most likely will be getting into it soon.
I was thinking that if I did not have a jig I could leave it on the limbs and just take the limb assembly off the stock and do it that way would that work?
It will work in varying degrees depending on the string material. When I serving I am putting roughly twice the tension that the bow gives at rest but when the string is cocked there is much more tension on the string. On the other hand my jig design is so easy and cheap to make, why not use it?
munch

Post by munch »

boo hope you can see in this pic it has a bushing on each end of the spool of thread then on the outside there is another and then a trust washer and wing not the pack also says new nylon thread guide. the jig looks easy just wonder if a guy could use 1"od and and another piece 1"id with holes in it so you could just pull a pin to adjust the length for re curve bows i think i may have some seamless square tube. do you use the little twag test to adjust the pressure. or just from experience
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts facebook
Boo

Post by Boo »

Ok, that's the newer version of the Cavalier Pro. It's a good serving tool but the last bar near the white bushing breaks because of the tension I put on the serving material just like the old tool. Dogphucker kindly had some solid metal tubes made for me. But they cannot be used on the newer tool because the last rod is too close to the bushing. You want as much tension on the serving material as you can get and those rods may break some day. If you take some steel rod, drill and tap the ends you'll have a quick replacement if and when the rods break.
The extreme tension is really important for when serving new crossbow strings but not so needed for vert bows and not so important when reserving a crossbow string.
Last edited by Boo on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I really like your jig and I will most likely end up with one or one very close to it but I have so much gear all ready I am ruining out of room for more.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
munch

Post by munch »

thanks boo i will ask the brotherinlaw if he can make a couple stainless pins that dia.
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts facebook
Boo

Post by Boo »

gerald strine wrote:I really like your jig and I will most likely end up with one or one very close to it but I have so much gear all ready I am ruining out of room for more.
You can mount it on a garage wall with a couple of hinges or assemble and disassemble as needed. The bolts going into the wood do not have to hold anything. It just holds it in position. When the string is on it the bolts don't even have to be there. The design is strong enough to bend the hooks straight or break the string.