Weight Screws?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wide8pt

Weight Screws?

Post by Wide8pt »

I was just in the process of building another six laser II's, but on the goldtip website it says you can add weight screws to the 110gr insert has anyone tried this?
Exocet 200
Boo String
Rage 3 Blade
GT Laser II's
wabi

Re: Weight Screws?

Post by wabi »

Yes - I tried them several years ago.
A less expensive alternative is to buy some 8-32 threaded rod, cut it to lengths that provide the desired weight, and screw it into the inserts (brass or aluminum) with a drop of epoxy to lock it in place.
wabi
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Wabi,
I was thinking of doing that with some short 8/32 SHCS,
Is there enough meat in the back of the instert to screw into once the broadhead is screwed in?

Have you ever had any come loose inside the arrow?
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have done it by applying a dab of epoxy to the threads on the screw. Just thread it into the insert to catch about two or three threads.

The best way is to first take an insert and screw in a point. Then take the threaded rod or screw and put it in the other end. You will see how much clearance you have, and what you can do. If I remember right there is probably 5 or 6 threads of clearance, but I only use two or three to give some room to spare. The epoxy will keep it there after it sets.
wabi
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

I just installed brass inserts instead of aluminum, they work great. TC
wabi

Post by wabi »

trky chsr wrote:I just installed brass inserts instead of aluminum, they work great. TC
But it takes all the fun out of experimenting with other methods. :(

Actually I have tried many methods and finally decided to use the most obvious approach for now (and the foreseeable future).

If I need more weight up front I just screw in a heavier point! With the new heavier broadheads hitting the market it should be easy to gain FOC if you feel you need it.
Not sure who is marketing it, but I've even seen a weight you can add between the insert & point, just screw it in - then screw the point into it! (I had that idea a few years back, but none of the arrow manufacturers showed any interest at the time - guess they figured they could make more profit selling brass inserts.)
wabi
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Aftershock makes those weights that you screw between the broad head and the instert. They have taperd ones for the thicker shaft for crossbows.
They weigh 20 grains.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

trky chsr wrote:I just installed brass inserts instead of aluminum, they work great. TC
I agree but they will not always get you to where you need to be. For example. I built some GT Laser II' arrows for a friend that shoots a tenpoint. The minimum weight is 415g for his bow. He wanted to use a 100g head and Blazer vanes which would result in a finished arrow of about 400g. I added a 20g weight screw and it brought him just over the minimum weight. I used a dab of loctite on the threads and they never loosened up.

Many people want to stay with a 100g head has there is a much bigger variety of heads in that weight.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

You can also screw a smaller field point into the back of the insert with a little glue on the threads. You pick the weight you want just as long as it fits the inside of your arrow. Will not come loose. I tryed to take a point out after it had dryed and it is there to stay. For an aluminum insert , run a tap all the way through .
Tenn.

Equinox