Best broadhead for Turkey hunting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cat power

Best broadhead for Turkey hunting?

Post by Cat power »

I am going to hunt turkeys with my Ibex this year (ground blind), but not sure what broadheads to use? Thanks for replies.
Woody Williams

Re: Best broadhead for Turkey hunting?

Post by Woody Williams »

Take a look at The Turkey Tomahawk..

BIG expandable..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

Nobody else hunts with an Excal for yard birds?
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Check out the Guillotine looks good just take the head rite off that way they most likely will not run far. Made by the same company that makes the Atom broad head which also looks interesting for big game I have not tried either but would like to.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
TYE

Post by TYE »

The NAP Braxe caught my attention for turkeys....
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

gerald strine wrote:Check out the Guillotine looks good just take the head rite off that way they most likely will not run far.
I like the looks of this one too, but not sure if it will clear the foot stirrup in the crossbow.

I might just use the same slick tricks that I use during deer hunting.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use the same set-up that I do for deer, Slick Tricks. However, I also stick a Zwicky Grappler on there too, perfect flight to about 30 yards.
The catch with ground blinds and turkey contraptions is the shoot through mesh, there are quite a few mechanicals that don't like to pass through them, and some of the large flat blades can cause issues too, like the Guillotine. If you plan to shoot through the mesh of a blind you have to be a little more cautious, no screen and the sky is the limit!
Here is a Slick with a Zwicky:

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

you are best off to shot a broad head that you have confadance in .us the same set up you us for deer .turkeys are not hard to kill if you hit them .and any head that will kill deer will work for turkeys .find a head that shoots very good from your set up and stick with it .DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Tom

Post by Tom »

Pydpiper wrote:I use the same set-up that I do for deer, Slick Tricks. However, I also stick a Zwicky Grappler on there too, perfect flight to about 30 yards.
The catch with ground blinds and turkey contraptions is the shoot through mesh, there are quite a few mechanicals that don't like to pass through them, and some of the large flat blades can cause issues too, like the Guillotine. If you plan to shoot through the mesh of a blind you have to be a little more cautious, no screen and the sky is the limit!
Here is a Slick with a Zwicky:

dutchhunter wrote:you are best off to shot a broad head that you have confadance in .us the same set up you us for deer .turkeys are not hard to kill if you hit them .and any head that will kill deer will work for turkeys .find a head that shoots very good from your set up and stick with it .DUTCH

Personally I shoot the NAP Spitfire with the Zwicky behind the head. This has been covered here many times but is work covering again. Accuracy and confidence is most important as the kill zone on a turkey is much smaller then a deer. If your satisfied and confidant with your deer setup, then use it with a Zwicky behind the head you use. The Zwicky just stopps the arrow from a pass through transfering the total KE into the bird as well as makes it difficult for the bird to run or fly.

Good luck
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
michiganman

Post by michiganman »

rocket hammer head,rocket stricknine and the rocket sidewinder.we have shot 8 turkeys with those heads.the three i mentioned above were field tested to 330fps last fall.they will blow open on feathers,JIM

the turkey in my picture was shot with the rocket hammerhead
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
roly

Post by roly »

Rage 3 love em!! thats jmo

I think if you know where to stick them it's not really
a factor which bh you use.
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

Pydpiper wrote:I use the same set-up that I do for deer, Slick Tricks. However, I also stick a Zwicky Grappler on there too, perfect flight to about 30 yards.

Wow, I have never seen these before. I will certainly give them a shot.

thanks
FISH-ON

Post by FISH-ON »

k...newbie here so be gentle, so when using a crossbow you should be aiming at the head rather then the largest part of the body to drop the bird (breast)?
And from what I've read so far, the gullotine seems to be the preferred broadhead....any others?
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

The Magnus bullhead is a good choice of many, look magnus up

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
cmawdsley