Perception of Hunters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

va3cgt

Perception of Hunters

Post by va3cgt »

OK I gotta vent. Why is it some people are sooooo ignorant. IE my mother-in-law. "Boo" knows her.

I go away every year up to northern Ontario bear hunting and stay in a Provincial Park. Every year we have a group of mallards visit the campsite looking for food to which I feed them all week. I enjoy it a lot. I have in the past caught them by hand, then take pictures and release them. They always return. So I had my dad video tape me while I attempted to lure one duck close enough to grab, which I missed. We all had a good laugh. It's on You Tube.

So my mother-in-law watched the video the other day and said, "It would have been easier to buy a duck at the grocery store". Meaning, I wanted to catch it and kill it. Nothing could be farther from the truth. She thinks because I, we, hunt we want to kill everything in sight. I love animals (despite my signature at the bottom of the screen, comment from Chuck Adams commercial) and I consider myself an ethical hunter but the ignorance from non-hunters drives me nuts.
Pydpiper

Re: Perception of Hunters

Post by Pydpiper »

The definition of ignorance is "lack of knowledge", perhaps you could sit down with her and explain your point of view, it can often work wonders!
My mother used to be very anti-hunting, but after seeing the enjoyment my wife and kids get from it she opened her mind enough to actually listen to what transpires in the woods, she isn't likely to be joining us out there any time soon, but she doesn't shudder the way she once did either.
A little patience mixed with some level headed discussion can bring you a long ways.
Good luck!

Where is the link for the video? :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Boo

Post by Boo »

Good luck Chris, if your German mother in-law is like my German mother in-law you aren't going to change he mind. They think they're right no matter what. There's a reason they lost two world wars in a row! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

LOL! Yep! your right. So you know what I'm talking about. That's funny.

If I say the sky is blue she'll say it's red.
Boo

Post by Boo »

va3cgt wrote:LOL! Yep! your right. So you know what I'm talking about. That's funny.

If I say the sky is blue she'll say it's red.
Ok Chris, have you heard this one? "This cannot be!" Which translates to you're wrong and dumb! LOL! I've heard it all. My father in-law once looked me in the eye and said that I would never be a good mechanic. He told me it was because I wore glasses. :shock: Lessons from the Nazi youth group no doubt. :evil:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't beat unverified logic.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Well, oddly my mother-in-law's father was an ss officer before WW2 and was one of Hitler's security details. He was reassigned to spying on the Russians when the war started. Little bit of history in this thread.

So I think I know where she gets it from.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just tell her you can't hunt ducks by grabbing them by hand. :roll:

It takes a bag of cookies and a ball bat. :wink:

If you can't educate her, you might as well do a good job of pi$$ing her off. :lol:
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

wabi wrote:Just tell her you can't hunt ducks by grabbing them by hand. :roll:

It takes a bag of cookies and a ball bat. :wink:

If you can't educate her, you might as well do a good job of pi$$ing her off. :lol:
Love it! :D If you can't beat them, make them loose sleep.. Too easy to picture that hunting technique Mike!

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've heard of a few individuals actually getting the main course for dinner that way at our local lake. :lol:

Plenty of geese & mallards on the lake, and so many people feed them despite the No Feeding signs scattered around the park that they actually come running to investigate when you pull in the parking lot.
I've also noticed squirrels setting in the picnic shelter waiting for a handout.
I wouldn't harm them, but I may have to take my son and stop at one of the local fast food joints and pick us up a picnic lunch to eat at the shelter one day soon. It's entertaining to "accidentally forget" :roll: :wink: and leave a pack of french fries on one of the tables. :lol: :lol:

pics from inside the shelter - and a pic of the geese coming to check me out earlier this week when I pulled into the parking lot
wabi
Broadside

Post by Broadside »

I remember reading this (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2 ... alcomments) about a year ago, and being amazed by the ignorance of people leaving comments. This is an article about allowing crossbow hunting within the City Limits of Ottawa to reduce auto collissions.

Some of my favourites quotes:

"To hunt deer with a bow? I could see shooting them but hunting with a bow is NOT humane in my mind."

(about bow hunting) "This is the most inhumane idea I have ever heard of"

"Hunting should be banned, we don’t need to hunt to live so if that is the case then it is just pure violence and cruelty against animals."

And my personal favourite: "You do not kill a deer with only one arrow.All you can do is cause it incredible pain. I suggest that only a Low Life sub-human would even consider bow hunting and call it humane."
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Oh yeah, she said something else last year when I got my first bear. I told her we have lots of bears here in Ontario and the population is growing. She say's, "Well, we don't go around killing people because the human population is increasing".
:roll:

I told her, you can't equate people with animals. End of conversation.
Boo

Post by Boo »

va3cgt wrote:Oh yeah, she said something else last year when I got my first bear. I told her we have lots of bears here in Ontario and the population is growing. She say's, "Well, we don't go around killing people because the human population is increasing".

I told her, you can't equate people with animals. End of conversation.
What a marrooon! When a deer was reported in the city of Toronto I talked about the population increase in Southern Ontario to one of my employees. I then tried to explain to one of my employees that hunting is the only way to control populations and he asked about birth control pills! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

[quote="va3cgt"]Oh yeah, she said something else last year when I got my first bear. I told her we have lots of bears here in Ontario and the population is growing. She say's, "Well, we don't go around killing people because the human population is increasing".

You should have told her that it was an interesting concept and maybe worth looking into. Starting with the oldest, nags first :lol: