Is an STS really worth getting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Is an STS really worth getting?

Post by Boo »

Yes it will fit and no it will not cost you speed.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I have one on my Phoenix it stops the string from traveling past the end of the rail.
I believe if nothing else it will reduce wear on the string.
I also run whiskers on my string.
Tenpoint Matrix
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

it will take the vibe out of bow allow you to follow your shot ...will quiet up the bow and provide some dry fire protection.....worth it in my eyes
BryanOney

Post by BryanOney »

I really like my STS on my Vixen. Before by STS when I shot my x-bow it would make a thwang noise that would kind of ring through the woods. With the STS it makes a quieter thunk noise that seems to me to be much shorter in duration and not as unnatural sounding. Does it make a difference on the hunt, I do not know, but I sure like it better this way. My friends that shoot their excailbers with me have noticed the more pleasant sound my bow makes with the STS and have added the STS systems to their x-bows. Hope this is useful to you.
Razor Head

Post by Razor Head »

I'm not saying it's ever happened to me :oops: but it's excellent insurance if you ever dry fire your bow. Just saying... :roll:

If you do get the STS, cut about 1/4" off of the rods and allow a gap of 1/8 to 1/4" from the string. If you don't do this, you could wear out the bumpers after a few shots.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Just cut and copied this from another forum, seems a lot of guys are having issues with that makeshift design, looks like I am not the only guy who doesn't like to take a hacksaw to something that was "made" for my bow.

Just received my STS and I simply cannot comprehend why they don't redesign this thing in such a way as not to require a modification out of the box.

I have my string set at the highest possible brace height and it is still pressing into the stoppers. So I cut the rods and now have it set up so that the stoppers are now practically touching the base, and there is still just a sliver of light between the string and the bumpers.

Yet another design flaw: to get the rods perpendicular to the string, you have to set the base units so that the angled part is not flush with and touching the riser. The purpose of the angled cut is precisely to get it to sit flush with the riser for stability purposes, is it not? Unreal.

Earth to STS: time to redesign this unit, preferably with an Excalibur crossbow in your shop while you do it. This is not rocket science.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Pydpiper wrote:Just cut and copied this from another forum, seems a lot of guys are having issues with that makeshift design, looks like I am not the only guy who doesn't like to take a hacksaw to something that was "made" for my bow.

Just received my STS and I simply cannot comprehend why they don't redesign this thing in such a way as not to require a modification out of the box.

I have my string set at the highest possible brace height and it is still pressing into the stoppers. So I cut the rods and now have it set up so that the stoppers are now practically touching the base, and there is still just a sliver of light between the string and the bumpers.

Yet another design flaw: to get the rods perpendicular to the string, you have to set the base units so that the angled part is not flush with and touching the riser. The purpose of the angled cut is precisely to get it to sit flush with the riser for stability purposes, is it not? Unreal.

Earth to STS: time to redesign this unit, preferably with an Excalibur crossbow in your shop while you do it. This is not rocket science.

I don't know for sure, but I think a forum member made a better system? I don't have an sts, or any other system on my bow so i'm not totally sure.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

FredBear wrote: I don't know for sure, but I think a forum member made a better system? I don't have an sts, or any other system on my bow so i'm not totally sure.
There was, yes. Here was my response to that guys post:

At one point there was an Excalibur owner who took the STS design and turned it in to something that actually worked, 2 minutes out of the box it was squared to the string, pads set to MY brace height(without demolition tools) and handed to me with a smile and assurance that I would enjoy it. The problem he faced was that there is only one spot to mount anything string related, it was branded a copy and he stepped off of his design like a gentleman.
The STS sucks, bad design, bad rubber and "less than desirable" customer service. I sent them an email to see if they would lighten it up for me, the response those people gave me was nothing less than insulting.
I am surprised at how many people spend money on an STS only to bring it home and take a hack saw to it.

I was also informed that STS was going to spend their time pursuing companies and people for infringement, so if your hoping they will make you something better, guess again, they have another motive for profit.

Pydpiper
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

Please tell me I am not being baited.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Hmmmm? :?:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

WOW! Thanks for that Pyd. That's horrible! Just doesn't seem right. Such as life I guess.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Boo wrote:Please tell me I am not being baited.
Fair enough, your not being baited.

Unless you have a financial interest in Bucks and Ducks/STS Archery then has nothing to do with anyone in a personal aspect. It was a question about a companies performance in relation to his bow, figured he may as well have some facts, I have always found them helpful in making a decision.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

Pydpiper wrote: Unless you have a financial interest in Bucks and Ducks/STS Archery
I hope that was rhetorical David. For those who do not know me as well as David I have nothing to do with that company at all, none whatsoever. Never did, never will. They are a tiny mom and pop operation that make the STS and that's all I know about them.
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

I ordered the STS and was disappointed with it pretty much for the same reasons mentioned in the post by pydpiper. I think if a product is made for a specific application you shouldnt have to do surgery to it right out of the box to make it work right. I sent it back. I went on the trading post and bought the NGSS stopper and it hooked up correctly right away and I could adjust my brace height. One thing I noticed is that neither the NGSS or the STS will work on my older exocet as the holes dont line up right. The NGSS works good and the noise is really reduced but anything you are shooting at is going to hear the bow. What i was looking for was noise reduction so that all the other critters in the immediate area were not alerted to my presence.

I sent an email to Excalibur asking them about the dry fire protection of stoppers everyone posted about and Peter emailed me back and said they had no proof that this was true. I am having our maintenance shop mill me out a couple of aluminum mounting blocks for the old exocet and will work up one for the older crossbow. Rubber stoppers are readily available at all kinds of industrial supply places like McMaster Carr. When I talked to the customer service guy that handles our account he advised me that the ones made out of neoprene would probably hold up the best as they are highly rated for abrasion resistance.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I have an STS, never had to cut the rods for my bheight. [1 1/8"] Mountains out of molehills, imo.
"Eze 18:21"