Is an STS really worth getting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fawndaddie

Is an STS really worth getting?

Post by fawndaddie »

I shoot a Excal Phoenix and was thinking about getting an STS for it. Does it noticeably quiet down the bow. Also, does it take anything from the speed of the bow? Thanks.
bdog

Re: Is an STS really worth getting?

Post by bdog »

It will calm a bow down,as in vibrations and dull the sound,making it seem quieter to you,help save the limbs in case of a dry fire and the speed will stay the same,if it's worth it,thats up to you
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

helps stop the recoil form the string and it will help on a dryfire... if you have the cash, its worth it. If you dont, its not going to hurt the bow without one. I dont have one. I keep saying im going to get one though LOL
fawndaddie

Post by fawndaddie »

Thanks for the input. There's a place online that sells them for 50 bucks. I figure if is does reduce the noise a bit, it may "extend the range" an additional 5 yards or so. I shot two deer this year at 25 yards and the bolt was already through them before they knew it. Should I do anything to the string? catwhiskers, etc, or just stick with the STS?
michiganman

Post by michiganman »

i put one on my exocet.if your going to shoot with a flemish string,then you might save the limbs in a dry fire.i did.i did like mine exocet better with the sts on it.noise wise,you wont beat that deer anymore wit/with out it.the reduced vibratin,and possible dry fire were worth it,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Boo

Post by Boo »

fawndaddie wrote:Thanks for the input. There's a place online that sells them for 50 bucks. I figure if is does reduce the noise a bit, it may "extend the range" an additional 5 yards or so. I shot two deer this year at 25 yards and the bolt was already through them before they knew it. Should I do anything to the string? catwhiskers, etc, or just stick with the STS?
You will not get more range, your bow will display less jump allowing you to watch the arrow to the target and reduce noise etc. Stick to the STS.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum fawndaddie

I don't use a STS or plan too, I have nothing against them ,I just don't want it on my bow

I don't get overly concerned about the noise or vibrations

But I like cat whiskers (Duhh) :lol: :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

I tried them and they do make a noticeable reduction in noise & vibration.
I just find I like a "less cluttered" bow (I don't even have dissipator bars on my Phoenix) and I took them off. My only accessory for noise reduction is the catwhiskers on my Boo strings. :roll:

If you have the $50. to spare they would sure be worth the investment to try them out and see what YOU think of them. If you don't see the investment as worthwhile you can always recover most of your money by selling them on the "Trading Post" here on the forum.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

wabi wrote:I tried them and they do make a noticeable reduction in noise & vibration.
I just find I like a "less cluttered" bow (I don't even have dissipator bars on my Phoenix) and I took them off. My only accessory for noise reduction is the catwhiskers on my Boo strings. :roll:

If you have the $50. to spare they would sure be worth the investment to try them out and see what YOU think of them. If you don't see the investment as worthwhile you can always recover most of your money by selling them on the "Trading Post" here on the forum.
thats my problem, I dont like alot things on my bow. I just want a string and arrows.. less weight and does the job;)
Big John

Post by Big John »

YES! I have to say YES. :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
wabi

Post by wabi »

crazyfarmer wrote: thats my problem, I dont like alot things on my bow. I just want a string and arrows.. less weight and does the job;)
I don't even have a quiver on my bow. :roll:
I use a hip quiver instead of a bow quiver. Tried the Excal quiver & Dan Miller's quiver and decided a bare bow was a lot nicer feeling in my hands. :lol:
wabi
footprint

Post by footprint »

Absolutely worth it. But $50? Where on earth did you find that good of a price, can you provide the link?

Cheers,

Footprint
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
fawndaddie

Post by fawndaddie »

Yep, Newguy gave the correct link.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I have a 09 Equinox. Is this the correct STS system? Will it decrease the speed of the bow?