license to hunt for sheds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

license to hunt for sheds

Post by crazyfarmer »

talk about a STUPID rule thats getting bought up here. It was in the local paper that some idiots think you should have to be a license to pick up shedded antlers.

so does this mean if im on the tractor and ones in front of my tire, I need a permit to pick it up. Where do some idiots come up with this stuff?

Its a matter of time before we have to have a license to put trail cameras out!

another law is the option to buy a lifetime hunting license for kids under 5?? Granted that wouldnt be a bad idea since I would have gotten my money back long before now;) Last time I checked, most 3 year olds cant decide if they want to hunt
Limbs and Sticks

Re: license to hunt for sheds

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

How would they charge you by boone/crocket score or by weight only in the common wealth of va. that's full of IDIOTS would you see something like this
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
huntman

Post by huntman »

crazyfarmer wrote: Last time I checked, most 3 year old cant decide if they want to hunt

Your wrong on that statement! I have my four year old that has been saying since he was three that he wants to go hunting. He watches WILD TV more then i do!! lol :) :D

Sooooo proud!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Crazy, I know that as a deputy sheriff you know that some rules are necessary, and that enforcement is required if they are to be followed ... and I'm sure you agree that the same thing is true as applied to our pursuits of hunting and fishing. There must be some regulation, and enforcement is required. If it weren't for protective regulation, we'd have no hunting and fishing to do. I believe that, and I'll bet you do too.

That said, here's what I think, and I'll bet you'd agree:

I think in all cases, keeping rules to follow at the absolute minimum necessary should be the ideal to strive for.

Problem is, rules are like rabbits ... they tend to breed! :shock: :? :(

I agree that it's crazy to require a license to hunt sheds. :?: :? :evil:
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

huntman wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote: Last time I checked, most 3 year old cant decide if they want to hunt

Your wrong on that statement! I have my four year old that has been saying since he was three that he wants to go hunting. He watches WILD TV more then i do!! lol :) :D

Sooooo proud!
I hear that! I have 3 of them doing the same thing, gets a wee bit expensive.. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

I sometimes wonder why (here in Ohio) kids under 16 can fish without a license, but are required to have a hunting license at any age. They also offer a "fish for free" weekend here every year where anyone can fish without a license.

Why not do the same for hunting? At least let kids be allowed to hunt small game (under a licensed hunter's direct supervision) and see if they like it.
As it is, the kids (or adults) can buy an "apprentice" license for up to 3 years before they have to pass a hunter education course, but they have to pay for the license and be under the direct supervision of a licensed hunter (must be close enough to maintain audible & visual communication).
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I bought my kids their lifetime licence within a week of their births. I think in NC they can hunt without a license until the age 16 but have to be with reach of a licenced adult. I'm glad I bought their licenses early because they get their own set of big game tags and that's essential when hunting with Tyler :lol: . If he had to use my tags I'd be in trouble. Brianna's tags however have never been used. She does a little fishing but not quite ready to hunt.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

bugs wrote:Some people are idoits! If you need a license to pick up something natural in the woods then you should need one for mushrooms, and wild strawberries and stones and sticks
But maybe there is a logical explanation for it. :?: Birds of Prey are state/federally protected species. It is against the law to own any part of these birds, INCLUDING feathers found in the woods. Why? :?: Well, what's to keep me from shooting an owl, plucking a few feathers, burying the carcass and telling the CO that asks, that I just found the feathers in the woods. Owls/deer lose feathers/antlers. Isn't there a correlation?

AS for mushrooms, some people here in Michigan have suggested that mushroom hunters should have a license. Their argument is that if I have to have a license to "harvest" a natural resource (deer, rabbit, turkey, pheasant, etc.) then why shouldn't one need a license to "harvest" other natural resources (mushrooms, strawberries, etc.)? It has some merit, maybe. I think it stemmed from mushroom hunters ruining turkey hunters experience by walking through the woods, making all kinds of noise, and scaring away the turkeys.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

birddog10 wrote:
bugs wrote:Some people are idoits! If you need a license to pick up something natural in the woods then you should need one for mushrooms, and wild strawberries and stones and sticks
But maybe there is a logical explanation for it. :?: Birds of Prey are state/federally protected species. It is against the law to own any part of these birds, INCLUDING feathers found in the woods. Why? :?: Well, what's to keep me from shooting an owl, plucking a few feathers, burying the carcass and telling the CO that asks, that I just found the feathers in the woods. Owls/deer lose feathers/antlers. Isn't there a correlation?

AS for mushrooms, some people here in Michigan have suggested that mushroom hunters should have a license. Their argument is that if I have to have a license to "harvest" a natural resource (deer, rabbit, turkey, pheasant, etc.) then why shouldn't one need a license to "harvest" other natural resources (mushrooms, strawberries, etc.)? It has some merit, maybe. I think it stemmed from mushroom hunters ruining turkey hunters experience by walking through the woods, making all kinds of noise, and scaring away the turkeys.

A lot harder to knock off an antler than it is to pluck a feather. There are no record books for sheds or product endorsements to be had. Pretty stupid law.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

There's a market for sheds look on e-bay

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
sneak

Post by sneak »

crazyfarmer wrote:talk about a STUPID rule thats getting bought up here. It was in the local paper that some idiots think you should have to be a license to pick up shedded antlers.
That is the stupidest thing I have heard in a while. :roll: Do you have a link to this?

As far as the Lifetime License goes, I think that is a great idea. We bought my wife's neice and nephew their Lifetime license before they turned 2 for only $200 each. An annual all inclusive sportsmans license is about $130 for adults.
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

Kids, doesnt really make sense because they may only go a couple times and have no interest then it was a big waste of money.
Hey Bugs - Now the govt. has your money, They will never wast it. LOL
mark 10 :13
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

a license to pick up shed s that sounds pretty petty and hard to enforce as well.... but for selling these sheds i think maybe a license might be a better way to go ....
wabi

Post by wabi »

Might not be a bad idea to have an all inclusive "Wild Harvesting" license.

One license that would cover hunting - fishing - trapping - harvesting wild flora (mushrooms, ginseng, leeks, etc.) - shed hunting, etc.

Still have the single licenses available if people want to only take part in one or two activities, but have an "all included" license for a bit less $$$ than buying each one separately.

Here in Ohio I have to buy a hunting license, a fishing license, a trapping license, turkey tags, deer tags, and even some state controlled lands require a permit be purchased to use them. It would be nice if 1 purchase would take care of everything!
wabi
gogo

Post by gogo »

Yup there are millions and millions of people that go shed hunting and pick wild mushrooms. A permit would bring in millions in revenue that just might solve our economic woes.The only word to use about this subject is insane, who ever things these things up should give their heads a shake.Sorry but this is crazy.