Where should I hit a turkey?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

birddog10

Where should I hit a turkey?

Post by birddog10 »

There's a lot of info here about shooting turkeys and which broadhead to use. My question is where to hit him? Obviously using a guillotine bh one would take out (off) the head. :shock: But what if I'm using a "regular" bh? Head shot or chest? :?: :?: :?:
huntfishfam

Re: Where should I hit a turkey?

Post by huntfishfam »

If I remember correctly you should aim for the base of the wing,if broadside, and if in full strut with his backside to you...well...right down the pooper.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
lscha

Post by lscha »

I love your bird dog, Birddog!!!Image
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

The old saying that I have heard is,"Hit 'em high, watch "em die,Hit 'em low, watch 'em go.The tom that I got this fall I shot about mid wing ht.He went 10-12 feet.You dont want them to go far as they dont leave much in the way of blood trail, and the feathers are super camo in the woods.
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

I've heard you go straight up from the leg.
texan

Post by texan »

Stright up from drum stick. There vitals are above there legs. Cant wait for spring and head for south Texas.

Texan
wabi

Post by wabi »

For seasons where it is legal I much prefer a load of #6 shot to the head/neck. This results in a quick kill (no tracking something that can fly and not leave tracks :shock: ), and little lost meat.

I have never killed a turkey with my crossbow, but I have hunted with it a few times in the fall archery only season. A hunting buddy did shoot one last fall using a perfectly placed G-5 Montec. The bird made it 20 yards into the dense brush at the field edge, and he lost it near that point. He told me about it, and I went in for a look the next day. Found it (by luck - sure not much tracking skill involved) for him and was able to recover his arrow and a few feathers for him! :D
The scavengers had found it first. :(
wabi
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I nailed a jake in the back a couple of seasons ago and he didn't flinch after the
15 yrd shot last fall I hit a bird in the wing base at 20yds and it flew and I did not find it till the next day after the coyotes were done with him for now on I will be a coward and shoot them in the back with the bow ,with the 870 head shots only :D
The best things in life are not things!!
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I see no reason you cant shoot them in the head. This one was looking me in the face at 33yds.
And of course theres the old walking away shot.
And the broad side shot. I got lucky my game cam took this pic. look at the white spot on the turkey.
And the after pic see the white fletching.
Like in the post above you hit a turkey where the dots are. You will get your bird. The bow or broad head or arrow doesnt matter. As long as its accurate.
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

Hey, the pictures are great. Ecoaster, that's a great visual. Thanks. I've nailed a few with my Browning BPS with #5's. My biggest is hanging on my wall. 11.5 inch beard, with 1.25 and 1.5 inch spurs, taken about 35 yds. I got my Phoenix for Christmas and can't wait until deer season to use it so I thought I would head out in April for a Tom. Thanks for the pics and advice (and compliment on my dog :lol: ).
roly

Post by roly »

[quote="rt2bowhunter"]I see no reason you cant shoot them in the head. This one was looking me in the face at 33yds.

Man their cute arn't they :lol: :lol: :lol:
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Only a mother could love :D
bbbwb

Post by bbbwb »

Somewhat off the topic but along the same theme of turkey hunting, what experience and results have shotgun hunters had using the 20 ga? What shot size, 2 3/4" or 3" and powder load? What distance?
I have always used a 12 ga but am hoping to try an o/u in 20 ga. this spring.
Any thoughts are welcome. I am going to pattern etc before the season for sure but might as well start out on the right track.
Any thoughts are welcome.
bbbwb
osage

Post by osage »

My first turkey, many years ago when young and lucky, I used a 20ga. pump loaded with 7 1/2 shot, low base 2 3/4 shells, no call other than mouth yelping as I head him coming, laying down lenth-ways of a small log, when he got within 15 yards (I was already aiming at him over the top of the log) he stretched out his head to look as if to say, "what is that?" (one more second and he'd have been gone) BLAM to the head, dead right there. What a memory! I now use a 12 ga, high-base, #4 and shoot anywhere within 40 yards.