Gun or Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Gun or Crossbow

Post by Raymond »

Which do you prefer hunting with a gun or a cross bow? And why?
one shot scott

Re: Gun or Crossbow

Post by one shot scott »

Love hunting with the excalibur. I got the PAL the sametime I went to get the hunting license. It took me two years after that to actually buy a shotgun, I love bow hunting that much. But It also pains me to see the gun guys having fun during "shot gun week" so I had to join them :D
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Depends what I'm chasing. When it comes to deer there is no comparison, getting em close with a bow in hand is second to none.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I actually prefer my CB's fer tick toter hunting. Killed many many deer when i was younger with firearms. I like Bowhunting up close & personal. So close when i see them blink i pull the trigger on miss vixen. Takes them by surprize don't cha knowed! :lol: I still like to pop one with one of my ML's now & again!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Crossbow is now my fave.. Its scary out there during rifle season.. looks like a pumpkin patch and everyone is trying to shoot the same deer... Now i go out and take care off business before rifle..
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
roly

Post by roly »

I like them both, I like to hunt with them both

The fact is I like to hunt, so what ever weapon I use is ok, as long as I get to go hunting

If there was a rock throwing season I would try it

But I do like the challenge of archery, so it is slightly ahead :lol:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

roly wrote:If there was a rock throwing season I would try it :

Now thats funny! Reminds me of a time in my very younger days (10)when a freind and I attacked a skunk doing just that. For anyone wondering, Yep... Bad idea. Im only slightly smarter now than I was back then. His idea was that as long as we stay infront of the skunk we would be ok. Skunks can turn on a dime we found out. :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Rock throwing season would be no good!!! My shoulder is killing me just thinking about it! :lol:

I have only been hunting about 3 yrs now. I have shot 2 fork horns during the shotgun season! There was no bigger rush watching those deer come in. I have trouble sleeping some nights because I can't wait to get out there with my xbow next fall simply for the extended season it provides. :D

Shoot straight
Pinpoint
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
saxman

Post by saxman »

I like it all
Hunting with whatever weapon. :D :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

both have pro and cons ..i prefer to sneak thru the bush with a 30-30 than my crossbow but like the the chace to get out earlier and later with the added archery season wit the bow
wabi

Post by wabi »

If my body was still young I'd pick the longbow (or recurve for variety) as my #1 choice for all hunting. For many years I flung arrows at everything from squirrels to deer, and never felt "under gunned" with my choice. (usually a bow around 60# draw weight)
Then age took it's toll on my body, and my shoulder developed bone spurs making it too painful to shoot my favorite bows anymore. That's when I was thankful I live in a state where crossbows ARE archery! :lol: All I had to do was purchase a crossbow and the hunting continued.
The crossbow has some serious drawbacks over a longbow and "instinctive" shooting, though. For one, you must know yardage within a very few feet or a shot at a squirrel (or other small game) will not even be close. I finally decided a gun was a bit more suited to hunting the small game.

Bottom line - each (crossbow or gun) has it's time & place, but I sure miss my longbow. :(
wabi
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Bow hunting for sure. I've hunted with guns over the past 20+ years. There's really nothing to it. If your a good shot you'll get your deer, moose ect.

I got out of gun hunting 10 years ago do to the fact that, gun season is scary, the season is to short, you need a ton of papers and permits and must walk on egg shells if your a gun owner. It's nice not having to worry about permits for a CB renewals ect. Plus I lost some of my hearing in the left year and have constant ringing. Not good. In my neck of the woods people hear gunfire they call the police. I fire my bow, no one hears it. In fact on Saturday some one ratted out a coyote hunter, because a neighbor saw a guy with a gun in a field. Happens all the time. Heard it on the scanner.

Big plus is the deer season here is 3 months long vs. 5 days of gun hunting.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I would have to say the challenge of archery is my favorite plus the time of year archery seasons held early fall here in Michigan is much better weather than rifle season .
How ever I love a good bolt action rifle and the chance to use it also.
Kind of like asking blond or brunet it is all good is it not.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
the elf

Post by the elf »

gerald strine wrote:I would have to say the challenge of archery is my favorite plus the time of year archery seasons held early fall here in Michigan is much better weather than rifle season .
How ever I love a good bolt action rifle and the chance to use it also.
Kind of like asking blond or brunet it is all good is it not.

Yes--but--a real Redhead wins handsdown-------no question !!!!!
I have been married to one for over 39 years. :D :D :D :D .
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'm with Sax ... I love to hunt, all seasons, all weapons.

If they had a spear season, I'd be out there chuckin' one at 'em. :mrgreen:

I refuse to be defined by the weapon of the day. It's always me out there, whatever season, and whatever I'm totin'. :P :wink:
Grizz