Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Florida - Proposal to Allow the Use of Crossbows

Post by Woody Williams »

http://myfwc.com/recreation/Deer_crossbow.htm

Crossbows during Archery Season

Proposal to Allow the Use of Crossbows during Archery Season

February 8, 2010

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is considering allowing the use of crossbows during archery season. The proposed change would mean hunters could use crossbows if they wish, or they could continue to use vertical bows. These changes are being considered as a way to encourage greater participation in the archery season and may help increase overall participation in deer hunting, benefitting hunter recruitment and retention. Allowing the use of crossbows during archery season may also help younger and older hunters who may be unable to use vertical bows.The use of crossbows during archery seasons has been allowed in several other states, including neighboring states Georgia and Alabama.

Some states allowed the use of crossbows to increase deer harvests in response to expanding deer herds, particularly in urban areas. Success rates for hunting with crossbows compared to vertical bows has been a major point of discussion in these states. Reports from Ohio, Arkansas, and Georgia, indicate that success rates for hunting with crossbows were similar to success rates for vertical bows. These states have reported some increase in deer harvest levels, but generally crossbow harvests represented a small percentage of the overall deer harvest with minimal, if any, impact on deer herds.

This is a complex issue.

Caution is warranted when considering information from other states, because circumstances in Florida are different with regard to deer habitats, deer populations, and hunting-season structure and bag limits. Up to 2 antlerless deer are allowed to be harvested daily during the 30-day zonal archery season in Florida. Ohio, Arkansas and Georgia allow antlerless deer harvest during archery season, but hunters are limited in the number of antlerless deer that may be harvested during the season. These limits vary from 2-6 antlerless deer in Ohio, 2-4 antlerless deer in Arkansas and up to 10 antlerless deer in Georgia. Under these different conditions, deer harvest rates in Florida may vary from other states.

Be sure to take the survey!
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Phoenix_Tom

Re: Florida - Proposal to Allow the Use of Crossbows

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Good luck Florida!

2 deer per day bag limit for 30 days? Wow!
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thanks woody.
Survey taken.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
saxman

Post by saxman »

TTT
This is important :D
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

To The Top....again.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Thank you very much kind sir. I had written them two times before and made reasonable and thoughtful pleas. Currently, archery season is not for all archers. Imagine that. We get the last week, bucks with five inch horns only.

I have offered to shoot my bows in a demonstration for them, both kinds, so they could see that there is no performance advantage. The mere fact that they are taking a survey is great. This means they are at least considering making the change. I did the survey. They cleverly request a phone number, so as to limit responses to just Floridians- I imagine. But some of you guys might develope touristy desires and wish to come bowhunt down here, like many fishermen come to fish for bass. Maybe they will listen to you. Florida depends on it's visitors.

I would really like to use my crossbow during the entire season. This is worth doing, as right now we are Flori-Duh, when it comes to restrictions. Hard to imagine bows that shoot arrows not being considered archery.

Thanks again Woody. I missed the survey earlier. Saxman needs full inclusion as well. Hope all is well. Paul
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
saxman

Post by saxman »

If everyone that takes the survey would please leave a message in this thread so we can know we are getting support from our forum members that would be great
I have a disabled permit so it's no prob for me so let's get this done for our able bodied xboyers and those not even born yet
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Good luck to the sunshine state hope you getr-done!! :D
The best things in life are not things!!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

My sister and her husband have a farm down there . . .I'd love to hunt it with the crossbow and that's exactly what I told them . . .open it up, here we come. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen