STS Schock Suppressors broke my fast flight string!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

darwal44

STS Schock Suppressors broke my fast flight string!

Post by darwal44 »

Hi, does anayone here have tried the STS Shock Suppressors?
K29663.jpg
I just bought a set of shock suppressors and I was very happy with them (they make your Excalibur to look better) but when I shot my excal the string broke up in more or less 10 shots. I have shot my crossbow with that string many times and now, just after I installed this schok suppressor this happened to me. :oops:
IMG_1181.JPG
IMG_1182.JPG
I friend of mine told me that the problem was that my string was making contact with the surface of the suppressor. He told me there was supposed to be a gap between the string and the suppressor. :shock: Maybe he's right.
Have any of you guys had similiar experiences?
bdog

Re: STS Schock Suppressors broke my fast flight string!

Post by bdog »

no problems with mine,and yes I have a slight gap between the STS and string,where was your brace height set at?
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Boo

Post by Boo »

The only other time I've heard of that is someone with a Dacron string. It broke at the same place too. Is that a Fast Flight string? Looks rather fat for a Fast Flight or Dyanflight string? Sure it's not a Super String?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

Hi, my brace height was in the second line, the one that is closer to the trigger. The string was a fast flight, but it was making contact with the suppressors. There was no gap between them, maybe that was thre problem.
Now I'm not sure if I should roll up my other dracon string in order to leave a gap between it and suppressor or just take out the suppressor at all. :?
Boo

Post by Boo »

darwal44 wrote:Hi, my brace height was in the second line, the one that is closer to the trigger. The string was a fast flight, but it was making contact with the suppressors. There was no gap between them, maybe that was thre problem.
Now I'm not sure if I should roll up my other dracon string in order to leave a gap between it and suppressor or just take out the suppressor at all. :?
I think you are the first one I've heard of breaking a Fast Flight Flemish string. One other person here had a Dacron string break. When I first started to use the STS my string was firmly into the bumpers but I never broke a string.
The picture makes it look like an Excalibur Super String, a Flemish Dacron string as well as looking like it was barely broken in.
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

I order my string from bowHunters Superstore and I specified a Excalibur Fastflight String. Now what I have left is an Excel String (good conditions). I'm going to put it on my crossbow but I don't know if I should leave the STS in place or take it off.
Any way, this is a picture of the string I broke. I know the photo is not clear, but is the only I got in this moment.
IMG_1183.JPG
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

I also have the STS on my vortex. I still shoot the excel strings because i want the forgiveness of that type of string. I cut an 1/8" off the posts upon installation because if i left as is , it rested too much against the string. Mine is touching the sring with no gap and i have not had a problem yet with hundreds of shots! Just been my experience though. I think your problem is that it was something wrong with the string or that you need to cut an 1/8th off your posts or both of the above. Hope this helps!
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I might be wrong but I think that Excalibur Fast Flight or Dynaflight strings do not come in that color combination. I know that they sell a Super String in that color and it is made from Dacron.
The string on the right is the Dacron Super string and the one on the left is a Dynaflight (sometimes called a Fast Flight string).

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Darwal44 thats not a FFF string i can assure you of that. Thats a #2097 Flemish dacron as Boo says. They sent you the wrong string
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

Thank you smokepolehall, that color combination seemed to extrange to me since the begining. I'ts a petty. Now I the only string I have left is the Excel string. Would that be stonger? Could it resist the STS impact?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't know if its any stronger as i don't know the material its made from. The Excal site doesn't say ! I would twist my string up til i had at least a 1/16th clearance string from bumpers maybe an 1/8" would be better. Boo would know more about it or awshucks or some of other good members that use the STS. I have no use for them myself. I got away form the big poundage Excals a i just don't need that power fer my tick toters or hogs i get to hunt.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Boo

Post by Boo »

Apparently my posts are invisible.
darwal44

Post by darwal44 »

No Boo, your post aren't invisible. Thank for your comments. I will twist my string in order to give a gap between the STS and string.
I only hope that string won't break too.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

It shouldn't break but i can't guarantee that it won't. The Flemish dacron that broke must have been hitting real hard not to have shown bad wear on those bumpers !
Half Bubble Off BD360

awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Those bumpers don't resemble mine, are they originals supplied by STS? Mine are too soft to destroy a string, imo.

I don't know where you are, a tad more info in profiles is helpful in cases like this, but if in USA, you can get strings from Danny Miller who makes them, for $14 a pop.
"Eze 18:21"