Regards

Joey :twisted:
Equinox
GTII's 2" blazers
Ground pounder mount
Rich

Re: Turkey callin'

Post by Rich »

I always like to use a slate call until they are within range. Once a bird is within gun range I switch over to a mouth diaphragm due to less movement. I use a slate for long distance calling, cutting and purrs, it's an all around call.

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

crystam or ceramic always work best for me.... I like the MAD calls heavy metal and I have the primos freak call which I love...

Tagged out on 3 birds last year in 4 days so they work pretty good LOL

I have a fool proof bow call for long distance calling.. the key to any slate style call is the striker though. You will be amazed how different each one can sound with different strikers
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Primos Jackpot Glass works for me and finish him off with a HS Strut "Double D" mouth call. As Rich says, you want to swith to the mouth call when the bird gets close so that you minimize movement. Tyler uses the Primos "Sonic Dome". We both manage to tag out using these calls but it's all about watching the spring woods come alive and the sound of an old boss tom gobbling his head off right before daybreak.....killin me :wink: . I'm ready for turkey season :D .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) I think the best cal to use is " The one you can use " . By that I mean if I can use the triple superduper mouth call and get longspurred rope dragging birds in . That does not mean that you can use it . :)
Too many people buy a call at a show because Joe professional caller can use it . Then they get home and are dissappointed because they can`t make it sing like the pro . :?
If beginning at the game go with the good old standbys . A simple push-pull ,a pot call or the one sided call .
Now that I have said that my favorite goto calls are my Primos True triple and an old handmade push-pull call . :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Dont look down your noses at the Primos "Spring Hen" or any of the push button calls. They do a remarkable job and are easy for a novice(or old hand) to learn to use.You can use them one handed and they make a mount type for your gun or bow.These may not be classy or sophisticated but sure do work to call turkeys.They also dont take up much room and this is a prime consideration as my vest is full of all the other 27 types of calls and various cr-p that I haul out to the turkey woods.Our spring season starts Apr.3rd, so we have about 6 weeks to go.I am ready for some more woods time.
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

the one YOU can get the best sound out of easily,consistantly and in any weather.
thanks philip
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Rich wrote:I always like to use a slate call until they are within range. Once a bird is within gun range I switch over to a mouth diaphragm due to less movement. I use a slate for long distance calling, cutting and purrs, it's an all around call.

Rich
X2 :D
The best things in life are not things!!
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

get you a mouth diaphragm call.Learn to use it there is no sound that a turkey makes that you cant do your self with a diaphragm call.
it takes 2 things to be good with a mouth call a lot of practice and a very mad wife. :D
Rich

Post by Rich »

A word of advice on whichever call(s) you decide on, it's not as important how good it sounds, it's more about knowing when and how much to call. I've had more success calling less then I've ever had burning a call up just to hear him gobble everytime I hit the call. Like CF, I also tagged out on 3 VA gobblers last year and made a total of 6 calls on all 3 birds.

As flight attendant100 said, don't overlook a simple pushpull box, the 3rd bird I shot last year was killed using one. I had read an article about high pressured, late season birds and it said everyone overlooks a push/pull call because they think it is a beginners call. But late in the season it may be a call they haven't heard. I can attest that the 5 long beards that came running in thought it was the sweetest little honey in the woods that morning.

Rich
wabi

Post by wabi »

jackleg wrote: What is in your opinion the best turkey call and why :?:
I agree with Rich!

I've found in many hunting situations the best call is none at all! :lol:

Where I hunt there is a creek at the bottom of a valley. There are only 2 or 3 creek crossings the turkeys normally use.
I set up on the side away from where the gobblers roost, and in a spot to cover a crossing that has been getting recent heavy use. Usually I'll make a couple calls (with my box call) just at fly-down time to let the gobblers know there's a hen on the other side of the creek, then put the call away and go to careful watching/listening mode. Sometimes it's a long wait, but often one will investigate quickly. It has worked for me several times.

A couple years ago I killed one opening morning that way. I set up as described, made a few clucks, put the call away, and 1/2 hour later was tagging a nice tom. The property owner set up the next day on the same crossing I had used. He's a "constant calling" type hunter, and he soon had one heading for the crossing. That bird didn't cross at the crossing, but instead went to another crossing (little used spot about 100 yards downstream) and circled the location he was calling from. It was very alert, and very reluctant to come in to the call! He finally got a shot at 35 yards through thick underbrush & got the bird, but he had turned (in my opinion) what would have been an easy open shot into a long contest between hunter & prey.

Both methods worked for bagging a bird, but I'll take quick & easy every time. :wink:
wabi
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

glass call or a Lynch box call. And don't call to much, relax and wait. you'll wack more.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Great advice from all. Man guys it won't be long. I just picked up a new set of tru_glo sights for my Winchester Super X3 this morning and now I have to get it zeroed in.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

Ray they won't stand a chance with you now! Happy hunting
thanks philip
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Yup it won`t be long before we all will be suffering from TURKEY FEVER :)
Attachments
EASTERN4.JPG
EASTERN4.JPG (125.7 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
Last edited by Doe Master on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus