Arrow Pullers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Razor Head

Re: Arrow Pullers

Post by Razor Head »

I have Dan Miller's arrow puller and it's great if your arrow goes into the target all the way to the fletching. You can grab the end of the arrow and pull it out.

For compactness, I like the Double D arrow puller. It works just as well as Dan's but if your arrow gets buried all the way to the fletching, you can't really use it as well for getting it out. See...http://www.ddarchery.com/index.html
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

The bit of rubber (exercise bands, inner tubes, etc.) will work well too. I guess it depends on how many arrows you'll be pulling at a shoot.

After a several tough ones your hands will appreciate the ease of the Danny Miller tool. When we shoot 3D we're generally pulling 3-6 arrows at each target x 40 (or more) so we keep it handy in a back pocket. It's not unusual to need 2 guys to get an arrow out of a target - one to hold the target another to pull. Here is an oft-repeated scene:
Sure the D. Miller puller it takes a bit more room and is a little heavier but that's small potatoes compared to the ease of use - it gets us back on the course quicker than the other pullers. :D

Here is the puller in action on a tough bear:

A buried arrow:

Another multi-man retrieval:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
casper

Post by casper »

Another vote for the Danny Miller puller. It's crude looking, but it's the best there is. You won't be sorry.
mmecrossbow

Post by mmecrossbow »

Thank you so much, everyone. This is great. Those photos are incredible, Vix Chix! What is that thing made out of? Some of those arrows were in so deep, that really would be tough getting them out. You'd have to use something just like that Danny Miller Puller, for sure. Thank you again, everyone!
Excalibur Vortex Lite Stuff Red Dot Package
Cheekpiece
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

The men in the first photo are the forum's own TPM, xbowkidd (Rob) and N8rboy (Mark). :)

If I remember correctly, that buried arrow had a bit of help from another arrow pushing it in further.

Also, the Scorpyd that xbowkidd shoots usually puts 'em in a little further than my Vixen regardless of target composition. :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mmecrossbow

Post by mmecrossbow »

Thank you for letting me know...those are really great photos! :) Well, during my first shots, I will definitely be pulling out each arrow before I shoot the next! :lol: I only have my first four carbons and target points that came with the Lite Stuff Red Dot Package. And, I also have to figure out how to sight in the red dot! I've never done it. I'm going to be shooting into two of these: http://www.amazon.com/American-Whitetai ... B001CO2Y1Q Any thoughts how best to position them? I haven't even shot my new Vortex yet, I'm excited, but anxious, too! :shock:
Cheekpiece
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

mmecrossbow, I don't know if you have already ordered the targets in your post but you can get a Reinhart 18 - 1 for the same price as 2 targets from the Sportsman's Guide and with the Reinhart you get a 1 year warranty, http://www.rinehart3-d.com/ I love mine, just thought I'd make a suggestion :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

I know that I have not been a cross bow user too long but having shot mine a few hundred times I think you have to have the Excalibur for those shots that have gone in too far and one of the other tools for those that have not.
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

I have the Danny Miller and it works fantastic.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
mmecrossbow

Post by mmecrossbow »

Hi! Thank you...I looked up the 18-1 on that site and it looks like it costs about 2.5 times that of the one I ordered. So, maybe you got a deal somewhere other than the manufacturer's site? Thanks very much for letting me know if you have more details!
raydaughety wrote:mmecrossbow, I don't know if you have already ordered the targets in your post but you can get a Reinhart 18 - 1 for the same price as 2 targets from the Sportsman's Guide and with the Reinhart you get a 1 year warranty, http://www.rinehart3-d.com/ I love mine, just thought I'd make a suggestion :wink: .
Cheekpiece
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Sorry, I have a bad habit of putting my thoughts on paper. The targets that you are looking at the Sportsman Guide are about $50.00 each and I got the impression that you thought that you would need 2 of these targets to stop an arrow from your bow and that very well may be. You can get a Reinhart 18-1 from Cabelas for $100 and I can tell you from experience that the 18-1 will stop anything that my Exomag has to throw at it and this is it's third year. I guess that I'm just trying to say that if I were going to spend $100, I'd get the 18-1 again. Sorry for the confusion :oops:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
mmecrossbow

Post by mmecrossbow »

No, it's a great habit, thank you! :) OK, the reason I ordered two of those targets is because they were a good price and "appear" to be good quality (the several reviews were very good both for broadheads and points), so I thought this way, I'll be set up for quite awhile. Being brand new to crossbow, I also felt more comfortable having a couple of them next to each other rather than run the risk of damaging an arrow. So, that was my rationale. I appreciate knowing about other targets people are happy with and are a decent price...so, thank you!
Cheekpiece
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

As one of the "puller guys" in Vix's pics, the only way to go is Danny Miller. We also use Scorpion Venom as lube. It makes a HUGE difference in how much force is needed to pull.When using the Exomag and Scorpyd where the penetration is usually deeper, it's nice to be able to pull easy. you do break some graphite arrows but only if they go into the Harder parts of the frame of the 3-d target.
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Always great to have N8rBoy on a course - he's used to doing brickwork and can make pulling those tough arrows look easy. :D

Like Mark said, good lube makes a big difference. Just lube the first few inches though.

If you use the Danny Miller puller, grip the arrow, twist it 1/4 turn to break the arrow's "weld" to the target, then pull STRAIGHT back. If you pull up or sideways you risk breaking your arrow.

Aluminums are much easier to pull than carbons, but with lube and a Danny Miller puller even I can pull most carbons. :D
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

mmecrossbow wrote:No, it's a great habit, thank you! :) OK, the reason I ordered two of those targets is because they were a good price and "appear" to be good quality (the several reviews were very good both for broadheads and points), so I thought this way, I'll be set up for quite awhile. Being brand new to crossbow, I also felt more comfortable having a couple of them next to each other rather than run the risk of damaging an arrow. So, that was my rationale. I appreciate knowing about other targets people are happy with and are a decent price...so, thank you!
I can see your reasoning and you are correct regarding messing up arrows because if you shoot for the same spot every time, you will be spending some money on arrows. Those targets should work fine for ya :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray