Adapted peep sight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dereck

Re: Adapted peep sight

Post by Dereck »

Picked up 3 different colors so I will have one ready for you this week.
Tenpoint Matrix
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Tried a suggestion by Boo for the rear sight to make it a buckhorn style to make it easier to find the front sight in a hunting situation.

He also mentioned making the hole smaller if kept as an aperture sight so I found a peep from a Wiliams sight I had kicking around.Well it screwed right in no drilling, it fits tight and reduces the rear peep by approx 2/3 rds. I put it on my bow and like it a lot I can still see the whole front sight.

Here is a pic of the buck horn modification

Here is one with the aperture reduced
This pic shows the difference between the hole size you can see the entire front sight but it is much easier to keep it centered
Tenpoint Matrix
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Looking into a platform for a Williams sight to bolt onto that would give rear sight adjustment.
Tenpoint Matrix
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I was in the Bow Shop yesterday and got talking to Corey about my front sight.
He suggested that I drill all the way through the post to allow the fiber to stick out the back.I had thought of this but the drilling by hand pushed me away from that.He mentioned this because some people who have seen my thread thought it would be just a colored dot due to the small amount of fiber in the front.True the fiber did glo but not as much as the center optic.We came up with the idea if reducing the depth of the post so the pain in the A%# drilling by hand would be tolerable.
Thanks again Corey for the push in the right direction.

Here is a couple of pics of the way I will be modifiying the front sight now.

Hope everyone can see how the posts have been ground down on an angle so drilling through is easier and allows for a decent amount of fiber out the back.
ImageImage
Tenpoint Matrix
spike

Post by spike »

Dereck,

that is a nice piece of work. You mentioned that you sighted in with the centre pin at 25 yds, and that the top pin was on at 10 yds. Where was the bottom pin ?

Spike
ROGER
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Never got the chance to try it at that distance but did try at 35 yds and it was 6" high will try it out on Sunday before the 3D shoot.
Tenpoint Matrix
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Wouldn't drilling with a small bit in a drill press be easier than to do it by hand? Unless you don't have access to one...than I understand. Nice idea!! Big improvement over the stock sight.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I am use a very small drill bit and the drill press I have does not take that small of a bit and would be too shaky as it is.
I takes about 45 min to do one front sight
Tenpoint Matrix
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Oh...OK! I misunderstood. I thought you were drilling that all out by hand. That would definitely take some patience! Nice job!
coreybaker10

Post by coreybaker10 »

hey Dereck, glad the sight worked out for ya. looks good from here.. if ya need anything else give me a shout at the shop...
The Canadian Wingshooter pro-staff
Bow Technician
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Thanks again Corey for the cander in telling me what guys thought of it.I am always willing to listen to constructive criticism.
I will try and drop by the shop this week once I get one of the newer styles on my bow and you can try it out.
Don't want to change my sight right now as it is set for Sunday.
Tenpoint Matrix
Kencanfly

Post by Kencanfly »

Derek, I would like to see if you have a set that would work on my Equinox. Hunting here in Colorado starts in about a month. Need to have open sights to hunt here.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

This thread is 5 yrs old, not sure if the OP is still w/ us, but call Danny Miller in the a.m. and he'll send you a set.....[740]483-2312.

Set the pin at .437" above the table the sight is sitting on, rear is fixed. You can also set it a thumbnail shy of the inner end of the dovetail.....all the ones I've put on wotked well w/ this, fwiw..... :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, if you set the pin at 20, the top of the bottm post will be very close at 30.....Y0MMV...
"Eze 18:21"
JerryFreiman

Post by JerryFreiman »

Dereck wrote:I got a few sets of sights to try and add more fiber optic to it.
Here is my first attempt just did the bottom post to start with.

I'm in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario but I hunt exclusively in the Michigan Upper peninsula. Had a little event when I was hunting last week, nice 8-point out in front of me at 25 yards. Well, I have been using a Tru Glo, Multi Reticle scope sight mounted on my Ten Point Wicked Ridge Invader, but on this occasion I was about 10-15 minutes of legal hunting light left when this guy came out. My sight picture was all washed out and I couldn't see the dot clearly where it was on his chest. I think properly and ethically, I did the right thing and let him go. Never saw him again though. I am interested in your adapted peep sight and would like a bit more information on it (including price and delivery options) and to be sure if it would mount on my crossbow. Is the fiber optic in the front sight also lighted in any way and I guess, could it be or should it be? Can you PM me at my email please (sure don't mind any posting on here though) [email protected] Jerry
frisky

Post by frisky »

HEY this post is from 2010, let it die! Why not start a new post of your own. :x
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting