When to cock when turkey hunting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chclark4

When to cock when turkey hunting?

Post by chclark4 »

Please forgive the stupid question: I'm a seasoned turkey hunter and brand new crossbow owner. I plan to add an element of excitement by using my crossbow this turkey season. Just trying to carry this thing through the woods will be quite a challenge! I don't plan to use a blind on most occassions because I'm more of run and gun type hunter. My question is when do you guys cock your bows? Do I wait till I am setting up on a bird? It seams a bit too dangerous to cock, load and sling the thing for the entire hunt.

I assembled and shot my bow for the first time today. I am absolutely blown away how accurate this thing shoots! I've only shot at 10 and 20 yards so far, but tomorrow I will play on out to 50.
rt2bowhunter

Re: When to cock when turkey hunting?

Post by rt2bowhunter »

First welcome
What i think makes a excal the best hunting bow. Is how easy it is to cock and uncock. If i need to move i just uncock the bow.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

i cock it soon as i'm outta my vehicle..put a bolt in when i'm getting setup..take bolt out to move and if i haven't fired at all i uncock when i get back to my vehicle! 8)

Last edited by Brampton Mike on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) First off , Welcome to the Forum :)
I like to run and gun too . As previously stated cock the bow when safe to do so . But don`t put the arrow in until sitting down .
It definitely is a great sound to hear the arrow hit one . :D
As for your next question that is bound to come up . Broadheads !!! :D
It is a personal choice but the general concensus is as big as can be shot accurately .Shot distance is also reduced in comparision to the scattergun .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
wabi

Post by wabi »

When I first started hunting with an Excalibur I would cock & load the bow at my vehicle and carry it slung on my back. I had the routine of "cock - put safety ON - load arrow" well memorized by then.
One day I went out, parked my truck, got the bow, and cocked it, put the safety on, and loaded an arrow. I still hunted for some time (and passed through some brush while hunting). Not seeing any game I decided to try my luck on a target and unslung the bow from my shoulder. When I went to push the safety to OFF it was already OFF!!!!
It must have been flipped off by some of the brush I had walked through, and that put a bit of a scare in me! If that same brush had hit the trigger I could have had a painful rash on my back from the string, and been looking up for "incoming" after launching an arrow toward the sky!!!!!!!!!!
I now carry the bow slung on my back un-cocked. If I don't have time to cock it, it's probably not the best shot opportunity, anyway.

It's your decision, but I would carry it un-cocked, then cock & load when I got to the place I was going to set. If I moved I would unload it and let the string down by hand if I thought game was close, or just shoot an arrow into the ground if I wasn't concerned about a little noise.

BTW - I never carry it cocked & unloaded. That's a sure recipe for a dry-fire in the excitement of spotting game.
(I know from experience :roll: :oops: )
wabi
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i cock my bow when i lve my truck BUT only put an arrow in when i am on stand in a tree or on the ground DO not carry it on your back with an arrow loaded .itis fine to leave your bow cocked all day .it will not coues any problems thy are made very well .good luck DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

when carrying mycrossbow cocked I have a couple rubber bands laced together and put around the stock and over the safety. keeps any brush from moving it. It is easy to just move them off when you are ready. Hawk :)
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) You have a valid point there Wabi :)
A dryfire because of a quick setup would be embarassing :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Boo

Post by Boo »

I cock mine when I get out of my truck and stick it in it's case.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've had the same experience as Wabi while walking through the woods.

I still cock mine at the vehicle but now I use a rubber band to secure the safety: I slip a rubber band over the stock (usually doubled or tripled to get enough tension) then with the safety on, I place the band over the safety. That gives me a bit of extra insurance in case my safety gets snagged by a twig as I'm walking through the woods. The rubber band is always on my bow - I carry a spare in my pocket in case it wears out.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I cock when I get out of the truck, it has an arrow in it anytime there is legal light, you just never know when that moment is going to present it's self.
My bow has gone 3-4 days without being uncocked, slip it in the van after a hunt in anticipation of the next morning.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

still not a good idea to walk aroud with it on your back with an arrow loaded .cocked is okay n but no arrow .i have seen a bow go off unxpected the arrow went between my legs in to the ground .you should have seen the lok on the guys face who was holding the bow it firedwhen he put the safety off to unload .not cool saftey first DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I cock mine as soon as it's legal hunting hour. If I'm carrying it in my hands out in front of me I will load a bolt in it. If it's on my back I put the bolt away until I am set up or ready to hunt again.

I like the idea of the rubber band on the safety lever for extra safety.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

While I'm hunting my bow is cocked and loaded. And in my hands. No different than a shotgun or rifle.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I usually cock and load my bow as soon as it is legal to do so, and I also carry it in my hands ready to rock, if I am going in to my spot in the dark, then my bow is in the case and on my back.... (uncocked)
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife