homemade Targets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

roy

homemade Targets

Post by roy »

Does anyone here make their own targets, I have thinking about building a couple out of old animal feed bags. I am wondering what would be the best material to fill the target. I have heard old carpet and cardboard works well.
blackjack

Re: homemade Targets

Post by blackjack »

g'day roy, l use feed bags myself mate, just fill them with rags pretty tight though they work great & cheap, also its very easy to remove your arrows with just 2 fingers & they hold a 225 lb bolt no worry's... regards frank
Last edited by blackjack on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
bbbwb

Post by bbbwb »

I contacted a hardware store that repaired screen doors and windows and they agreed to save the old "FIBERGLASS" screening for me. I then packed this in the feed bag very tightly. It works well for field points but broadheads will cut it to shreds.

bbbwb
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

bbbwb wrote:I contacted a hardware store that repaired screen doors and windows and they agreed to save the old "FIBERGLASS" screening for me. I then packed this in the feed bag very tightly. It works well for field points but broadheads will cut it to shreds.

bbbwb
I have read that is one of the best fillers, if you can get a hold of it.

I went to a feed store and asked for the old feed bags, when they found out what I wanted them for he told me to come back in a week. Once there the guys had stuffed feed bags with bunched up feed bags and then went as far as to sew them up for me.
Every once and a while you have to lay them down and jump up and down on them, but you can't beat the cost!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I used a feedbag stuffed with feedbags. If my memory serves me correctly, it takes about 50-55 bags. Works great with field points; you can pull them out with 2 fingers. Don't shoot broadheads at it.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

I went to a local hardware store, and purchased a 25lb bag of rags for about 18 to 20 bucks.
It comes all packed tight and all I had to do is put in a couple of grommets to hang it from. It works great for field tips, no broad heads. :D :D :D :D :D
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

screen is one of the best filles you can get we have a 4 by 4 target and we top it up with screen every year .works wonders old denim jeans with the buttons cut off work well .DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
weezy

Post by weezy »

I use grain sacks that I get from the grain elevators right down the road.They never charge me for them either.I use trampoline nets for the filling LOL(the nets used to go around the sides of the trampoline so you dont fall out).It works really good and I seem to be able to find the nets pretty easily and cheap at garage sales,and it only takes one net to fill a grain bag nice and tight.(I have 3-4 nets stocked up now)Ive been using the same net for the last 3 years and its still going strong.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I go to the building supply stores, pickup the wrap that their stacks of lumber have been wrap in. I have a business that saves me all there plastic wrap each week. Sew the wrap in any shape I want and stuff it tight with the plastic. Plenty of material on hand. I am in the process of making a deer right now.
Raymond
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

The best thing I have done over the years is, either do the feedbag deal or get a replacement target bag. I found 1 on ebay for like $12 shipped. For filling I use old plastic wrap from warehouse pallets. While working in a warehouse it takes me a day or 2 to fill a large target bag. I have used this for years shooting carbon shafts out of compounds doing over 300fps. This set up will let the shaft or bolt go just a couple inches into the bag and the shaft or bolt can be removed wth 2 fingers. The best part is when the bag starts to get lose, add more plastic wrap to pack it out..

Pros- Cheap,light,easy arrow removal, stops anything you throw at it, very affective

Cons- Keeps my fiance bitching because I shoot all the time.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: I found it easier to just go out an buy one...got one called a Back Hole at the Sportsman Show about 6 years ago for $70 and it is still in great shape! 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I also use feedbags filled with plastic bags and shrink wrap. I only shoot practice broadheads, Muzzys, which allow for fairly easy removal.

I don't hunt with field points so no point in practicing with them!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
roly

Post by roly »

Here is one I made over the winter

I mite have gotten a bit carried away, it weighs about 60lb
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

60 LBS? Whats that thing filled with? Treestumps?
I know mine is around 10lbs .
Well being 60LBS atleast it wont roll over or fall off the wagon you use to hual it..lol
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I use old burlap coffee bean bags, they are similar to backjacks but only longer.
Stuff them full of plastic grocery bags as full as you can and it stops my arrows at 10 yards. The burlap bags cost $2.00,
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.