aluminum vs. carbon

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warren

aluminum vs. carbon

Post by warren »

Hi Guys ,
I have been using 2117 aluminum arrows with my 150lb Wolverine since I bought it 20 years ago . What kind of velocity increase can I expect by switching to carbon arrows ? Would I still use 125 grain points ?

Thanks in advance :) ,
Warren
Limbs and Sticks

Re: aluminum vs. carbon

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Weighing the same no diff, either liter than the other will be a difference, those 2117 aren't broke why change? sorry welcome to the forum

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

I am not new to archery but I'm new to Crossbows. I shot Aluminum Arrows for at least 30 years and Cedar Shafts before that, but last year was my first year shooting Carbons and I'm darned impressed, I'm am shooting GT Lazer II Shafts 20" long with Brass inserts and 100 gr. heads about 405 gr. total weight. Give them a try or any carbon of your choice, I not impressed with the composite Shafts, "Carbon wrapped Aluminum". Stick with Carbon JMO.

Migabby
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
warren

Post by warren »

Thanks guys ,
The reason I asked is that I recently switched from aluminium to carbon with my compound bow and had great results . The carbon had less wobble in flight and seemed to have a stiffer spine , yet they are faster .
I was wondering if there was the same improvement with bolts .

Warren
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Im telling you what I know from working FT in a Archery Pro Shop for about 8yrs. With most of todays compounds you will see anywhere from a 15-30 or more fps increase. Graphite/ Carbon is either 1 of 2 things. Straight or broken. At most you my screw a arrow up getting a hair bent insert causing a wobbles. After shooting 100's of thousands of shots myself I have seen very few with this outcome. You are correct the carbon do have a stiffer spine than aluminum shafts. The only advise I ever have been is always check for fractures are harsh nicks n the carbon wrap if you hit something other tha a good backstop.The carbon will tae more tail end glance hits than aluminum BUT will open up with a perfect tail end hit.

Shoot the vanes off of them and have fun!
warren

Post by warren »

Thanks Rich ,
I still have 18 aluminium bolts left . I will shoot them this spring/summer at the 3D range and then decide .

Thanks ,
Warren
wabi

Post by wabi »

As has been said, if the weight is equal the velocity remains the same.
I prefer aluminums after having a few of the carbons break (with the crossbow), but the new carbons might be much better quality.
I do shoot carbons from my vert bows (compound & traditional) and have had no big problems with them.
wabi
twang

Post by twang »

This is alittle off subject but something I read alot about on all the forums and that is the interest in "Speed of the arrow". and comments about a crossbow bolt loosing speed quicker down range than an arrow of the same weight because of the shaft diameter. As stated I am a beginner and know very little about crossbows but are there reasons why the crossbow can't be made to shoot a smaller diameter bolt and in so doing improve performance?
bowtime

Post by bowtime »

I have shot aluminum and Carbon arrows with Excalibur 175# Phoenix. The Carbon will produce smaller groups. I think the reason bolts are large diameter
is to give strength to shaft because of power in bow and extra fast starts
when bow is shot. You also need a large shaft to hold the string. If not the
bow string will jump over shaft causing dry fire........all this sounds correct
but I could be wrong.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i have better accuracy with carbon ...as for duribility so far carbon has been better and my aluminum get bent to easy
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Answer to yer ? its about weight not type! you take an alum. at 350 it will be faster than a carbon at 405 gr. As to which is better, thats a personal opinion of the shooter or shooters. I can find no diff in accuracy between the 2 types. Its like choosing vanes some like 2" Blazers others like 4" Duravanes. I have never bent an alum. arrow pulling from a target as i am careful on removing them. I have hit limbs & trees & break them, have done the same to carbons.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

vixenmaster wrote:Answer to yer ? its about weight not type! you take an alum. at 350 it will be faster than a carbon at 405 gr. As to which is better, thats a personal opinion of the shooter or shooters. I can find no diff in accuracy between the 2 types. Its like choosing vanes some like 2" Blazers others like 4" Duravanes. I have never bent an alum. arrow pulling from a target as i am careful on removing them. I have hit limbs & trees & break them, have done the same to carbons.

X2, The only difference is I use 4" feathers.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers