What now?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

What now?

Post by raydaughety »

I was just catching my breath from devising a plan to pay my hunting club dues and had planned on paying part of it tomorrow when I got the call. After almost 20 years of faithful service, I was laid off from my job today. I should have seen it coming. It's been quiet since the 1st of the year and it has only gotten worse. I feel........empty, like I've lost a part of myself. I mean, I've been doing this for most of my adult life and don't know anything else to do. Like so many others across the country, I'll be standing in the unemployment line early in the morning. I'm sorry to bring this here to the forum but you guys and gals are family to me. You all know how much you mean to me. It was very difficult to tell my wife that I was laid off only a day after celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary. Now I have to sit Tyler down and tell him that we cannot afford to rejoin the hunting club. I thought that it would be best if I waited till the weekend as they are finishing their testing tomorrow. I'd really appreciate your prayers right now as we try to figure out what we're going to do next. Thank you all for listening, we'll be ok.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
lvt01

Re: What now?

Post by lvt01 »

Hey Ray,
I know that I'm one of the fairly "new folks" around here, but just wanted you to know that my prayers are with you. I can feel for you. With this economy the way its been the past couple of years it makes a person nervous all the time. You just hang in there!

Larry
longshot44

Post by longshot44 »

Ray:

I'm quite new to the site as well. But I've seen enough of your posts to realize that you know who is in control ..... just keep trusting in Him and He will see you through.

I've been in your position a couple times, although the longest was only 13 years of faithful service .... and since then, He has blessed us in ways I could never have imagined.

Having said that, I will be praying my friend .... if you are anything like me, you may have a couple sleepless nights (it takes a while for your head to realize what your heart knows).

Randy
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Ray
Sorry to hear about your job! ,,, Keep your chin up Ray and I'll be thinking of you... Here's to better days ahead my friend..
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'm sorry that this trial has come your way, Ray. :(

We know that nothing comes into our life aside from our Father's permission, and we know that we can't see the big picture. As hard as such difficulties are, we know they have their place in our life. Because you share my faith, I think of James' words to disciples:

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

Keep on truckin', Ray. Hang on to faith, and let the trouble work to your advantage. We grow most in hard times. They're not fun to endure, but they are beneficial in their way ... many of us have found this to be true in our own lives.

You're in our thoughts, and in our prayers.
Grizz
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Ray,
I am new and you don't know me. It was hard to read your post and not feel for you! Things will work out as they always seem to. For what it is worth you and your family will be in my prayers!

Good luck
James
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

Boy don't that really suck, I feel for you my friend. You put all of that faithful time into your job, and then you are just dis carted like it meant nothing. Ah well, hold your head high and start the next chapter in your life. Good luck to you on your next endeavor, may it bring you and your family happiness and well being. Our prayers go out to you, we will keep you in our thoughts, and in our hearts.
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
blondeee

Post by blondeee »

Hey Ray..

Sorry to hear about your job situation. Keep the chin up and your faith in the Lord will sustain you through anything. Sometimes when a door closes .. you are forced to look elsewhere - and that is when you see the window BESIDE the door was open all along!!

We are praying for you and your family - and hope for nothing but the best!!!

Ric and Joanne
wabi

Post by wabi »

I know the feeling. It happened to me in 1984.

After 14 years with the same company and working my way up to a managerial position I was told - "We no longer require your services" without any warning. I reported to work one morning, was caller to the owner's office, and was dismissed immediately.
I was severely disheartened to say the least. I drew my unemployment, then a friend who ran his own electric/plumbing business asked me to work with him. He loved the electric work and I loved the plumbing, so it wasn't long before I was doing all the plumbing jobs for him. :lol:
I soon started my own plumbing business, and it's kept me fed, sheltered, clothed, and happy for close to 25 years now.

In hindsight what I regret most is that they didn't lay me off 13 years sooner. :roll: :lol:

My advice is to relax. As has been said, it is all for the best, even though you might have a hard time understanding it at this point. I know you have faith in God, just trust that this event will be for the best.
Don't let a little adversity shake your faith, and one day (hopefully soon) you'll see the wisdom in this happening.
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I thank you all for your kind words and support. I just don't understand why. I mean, I try to live by God's word and put others before myself but yet I feel like I'm being punished. Severe incurable back pain, the the depression and now this :twisted: . I just don't get it. I hope some day I can look back at this and say that it was for the best but right now I just don't see it that way. I lay awake most of the night holding the woman that I feel that I let down, I hope that those bad nights end soon. And Tyler and our outdoor lifestyle will come to a screeching halt, how can God or anyone else justify that as having any "good" in it at all. I know that survival comes before recreational pleasure but hunting and fishing is all the child enjoys and dreams about and unless I find a new place that is near free, that will change and he will sink into that electronic game life that has claimed so many of our youth. If I have to I will sell my excalibur and as many guns necessary to keep him in the outdoors even if that leaves me holding just a camera, so be it. Well, I'm going to go file unemployment. Thanks for all the prayers and I'm sorry for the attitude but I'm just hurt. I'm not the strongest of men and some of you already knew that but that's just me. I don't handle things like this well. You folks are great and again I thank you all.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Very sorry to hear this bad news.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Best wishes to you all.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

This just sucks Ray! I know how you're feeling right now.

But as Wabi and others have mentioned, most times when one door closes another one opens. That happened to me in '93. I was the rising star in a company and had learned everything I could and worked my way up as far as I could go. So for a year I went back to school every night and all weekend. Then, on Easter Monday, my birthday, the owner of the company called me into his office and layed me off. He felt that with my new skillsets and qualifications I couldn't be 100% loyal to him and the company any more.

It was like a kick in the nuts. But before the first Pogey cheque arrived I had started my own company and I've never looked back. In hindsight I owe that guy a big thank you for giving me a reason to step up and start the next chapter in my life. My family is 1000% better off because that happened and we enjoy a much better lifestyle than that previous career could ever have ever afforded.

Keep the faith and keep your eyes open for the door that's openning.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
casper

Post by casper »

Ray, try not to take it personal, it's just the economy. The lord will provide! Collect your well deserved unemployment, and enjoy your time off. Remember one door closes another door opens. :D
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

raydaughety wrote:I thank you all for your kind words and support. I just don't understand why. I mean, I try to live by God's word and put others before myself but yet I feel like I'm being punished. Severe incurable back pain, the the depression and now this :twisted: . I just don't get it. I hope some day I can look back at this and say that it was for the best but right now I just don't see it that way. I lay awake most of the night holding the woman that I feel that I let down, I hope that those bad nights end soon. And Tyler and our outdoor lifestyle will come to a screeching halt, how can God or anyone else justify that as having any "good" in it at all. I know that survival comes before recreational pleasure but hunting and fishing is all the child enjoys and dreams about and unless I find a new place that is near free, that will change and he will sink into that electronic game life that has claimed so many of our youth. If I have to I will sell my excalibur and as many guns necessary to keep him in the outdoors even if that leaves me holding just a camera, so be it. Well, I'm going to go file unemployment. Thanks for all the prayers and I'm sorry for the attitude but I'm just hurt. I'm not the strongest of men and some of you already knew that but that's just me. I don't handle things like this well. You folks are great and again I thank you all.
Two years ago my job became seasonal (12 week layoff). I immediately became focused on turning a negative into a positive by spending as much time as possible wiht my kids, especially outdoors. My advice to you is that kids don't care what the outdoor activity is as long as their out with their dad. If your hunting club doesn't have a sytem to differ your fees and show you some empathy, you and your son don't need them right now. Dig some worms, make sandwiches and go fishing. Go camping. Your son will look back on the days his dad was laid off as some of the best of his life. Kids don't equate cost with quality when it comes to this stuff.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Ray, I am so sorry to hear of your layoff. Its heard to make sense of it all. I'll say some prayers for you and our country tonight. Take Care, Mike :(