160 POUND EXOCET

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

twang

160 POUND EXOCET

Post by twang »

I just purchased sight unseen(a friend looked at it for me.) an Exocet from a guy that purchased it new in 2001. The crossbow is in like new condition with the orginal string on it. I am new to crossbows with very little experience so I am hoping that someone on this forum can tell me what I have. It is a gray color with some leaf looking camo pattern. The paper that came with it says 160 lb.
It chronographs a 455 grain 2117 bolt at 257 fps - 65 lbs of KE. Sure would like someone to tell me what year it was probably made, type of limbs, etc. The deal includes ten 2117 bolts, a scope mount, a quiver bracket and one extra string. Currently has a two pin sight on it. At two hundred and fifty bucks didn't figure I could go wrong. Appreciate the help.
Boo

Re: 160 POUND EXOCET

Post by Boo »

If it's what I think it is it's a good buy for a slightly archaic but very useful and very good bow. It is refered to as a 165 Exocet. It has carved tips and you have to stick with a Dacron string unless you change them to mag tips. I have 2 of them because I like them!
What colour is the rail?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
twang

Post by twang »

Man that was quick!!! Thanks Boo.
twang

Post by twang »

Sorry I missed your question...I believe the rail is gray. Won't be able to pick it up at my friends house for a couple of weeks.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I might be wrong but Lou will probably know better. Got any pics?
The one I think it may be is like the one on the bottom. Limb tips have nothing on them and the string grooves are carved into the tips.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
twang

Post by twang »

The picture on the bottom looks like the pattern my friend related to me when he was checking it out. Again my friend lives 150 miles from me and He gave the guy the money and is holding the crossbow for me until I have time to pick it up. I live in Pueblo, Colorado and he is in Boulder, Colorado.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup i would say you got yerself a very good CB fer cheap ! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
twang

Post by twang »

Next question would be should I stay with the 2117's or use something different when it comes time to order bolts? Carbon or Aluminum?
bdog

Post by bdog »

What ever you like for arrows will work , stay within the minium weight thats recommended for the bow....I believe is 350 gr. arrow
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day mate, what a bargain you got. l paid $550 for my 1999 exomag 185 lb & thought l stole it from the guy, your laughing all the way to the bank o'l mate. if you use a boo string don will sort you out but excalibur part no. 2097 is the string you will need to use on that bow being carved tips...great stuff
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
twang

Post by twang »

Good looking Exomag you have there. Like I posted the 160 lb Exocet was sight unseen. A friend knew I was looking for a excaliber and this guy came into his shop a few days later with the thing and said he had bought it but hadn't shot it much and hand never taken it into the field hunting. My friend shot it said he was impressed by how smooth the trigger was and how accurate it shot with just pin sights out to 50 yards. 257 fps isn't blazing speed but I think sometimes we make the speed much more important than it needs to be. I have taken a number of elk with a regular bow that didn't shoot but 200 fps and the arrow went all the way thru the animal. The guy wanted $250.00 for it so I paid what he was asking. Sometimes a person just gets lucky.
twang

Post by twang »

S W E E T!!! Picked up my 160 Exocet today...My first and I'm certain not my last Excalibur. Put a Hawke Map on her and took a few shots at twenty yards. Ok since every thing posted by me to this point has been guess work I can now post facts. Boo, it has the recurve limbs with normal excalibur string (actually has a total of four strings) so I will have a good supply until I can order and receive one of yours. Thru the chronograph; 430 gr arrow @ 265 fps, 410 gr arrow @ 270 fps and 455 gr arrow @ 257 fps. Easy to cock and uncock, fantastic trigger. I finally get it...why excal owners love these things. The guy I bought it from kept the quiver for a vertical bow...will try to trade a new quiver for it so the camo will match. Thanks to everyone who gave me info :D :D :D :D
bdog

Post by bdog »

All Excal limbs are recurve except for the Paradox,are your limbs carved tip or mag tip ? Look back at Boo's post he has the pic. up,if it's a carved tip make sure your strings are dacron not FF....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
twang

Post by twang »

Used the wrong word...it has the curved tips, not the mag limbs. I do have a question the barrel does not have the marks that show where the brace height should be. How does one know if it is too high or low?
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day. sounds like bdogs new bow l put photos up yesterday. good luck frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..